PDA

View Full Version : PDF or Word - Prospective Agent asking for MS in Word Format

Aldrey
07-26-2010, 09:06 PM
An agency has asked for my full document in word format. Intially they requested the first three chaps and a synop. I sent both. Then they requested a full in word. I asked if I could send a pdf. I was told they wouldn't be able to line edit a pdf doc. Why would they be line editing my doc? I don't have a contract with this agency. Wouldn't they just read the full and if so, that can be done via PDF. It was my understanding that if I was signed with the agency then they would do editing. Please advise. Tks.

Corinne Duyvis
07-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Definitely send it in .doc. It's what the agent asks for, so what do you have to lose?

Also, some agents like to line edit manuscripts even before they take on the author - some want changes prior to representation, both to get the book up to their standards and to see if they'd make a good match to the writer. It's not all that unheard of.

Parametric
07-26-2010, 09:19 PM
What Corinne says. Just to add another reason, I prefer a certain font and size and spacing when I read text onscreen, and a .doc allows me to adjust the formatting for ease of reading. I hate PDFs.

The agent may also want to add comments as they read using the comment function in Microsoft Word, which would enable them to request specific revisions, either before or after representation.

hillaryjacques
07-26-2010, 09:19 PM
If this is a legitimate agency, don't worry about it (check out Preditors & Editors or their thread in this forum). Real agents don't steal manuscripts.

When an agent reads your manuscript with the hope of signing you, they will make notes as they read...for themselves and suggestions for you. Word makes this easier for them.

Also, if they are reading from an e-reader, my understanding is that Word docs are easy to transfer.

nkkingston
07-26-2010, 09:32 PM
It may be passed between agents, too, and Word has Track Changes so they can leave comments for each other, or even just for themselves. In my experience so far, .doc is a pretty standard format to send, while pdf is not.

Aldrey
07-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Thank you all for your feedback!

Ryan_Sullivan
07-27-2010, 01:33 AM
It's not necessarily for "line editing" but more so they can point to specific things and put comments if they want within the text.

veinglory
07-27-2010, 01:43 AM
.Doc is quite normal. Sending a pdf wouldn't really start things out on the right note.

waylander
07-27-2010, 01:49 AM
Just send it .doc

shaldna
07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
An agency has asked for my full document in word format. .

So send it in word.