NYC questions...

stitchingirl

Registered
Reaction score
I was hoping that there are some people or even someone who I could ask about New York City. The Internet is a valuable research tool, but it can only give information and until computers come out with Smellavision, I have to rely on people's experiences about it.

If anyone can help me, please PM here.

Thanks,
Michelle :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You will probably get several replies here; if you need additional information the City-Data forum is good for these types of questions. There are sub-forums for every state and major city.

Last edited:

stitchingirl

Registered
Reaction score
sweet..

Is that the name of the site? City Data?

I never heard of it, so I don't know. Thank you for your reply.

stitchingirl

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you guys..

The questions I have can only be answered if you've been there in person.

*How loud is the city? Do you have to raise your voice slightly just to be heard over the cars, the honking? (I'm hearing impaired and with my hearing aids, EVERYTHING is loud)

*Is there certain areas of the city that isn't so loud? I imagine side streets aren't as loud as if..say..you were on Broadway or Fifth Avenue or that.

*Are there certain smells that just linger in the air? I imagine that if you walk past restaurants that you can smell the aromas of the food. But what if you're not near any restaurants?

*If someone who has lived in the city all their lives happens to be gone for two months, would the city still be like they remember do you think? Or do you think that they would pick something up in the air that they never noticed before?

*Here in Ohio, one of the rock stations on the radio has a two hour show which plays requests from their listeners. "Delilah" is the show's name. Are there any stations that do the same? The ones that listeners can request those cheesy songs to dedicate to other people?

Thank you for any help.

Last edited:

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a resident, but I got a real feel for the city while reading Lawrence Block's stories. He puts you right into the neighborhoods, making you feel you're right there on the street with the characters. Try some of his Mathew Scudder novels, you'll see what I mean.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
*How loud is the city? Do you have to raise your voice slightly just to be heard over the cars, the honking? (I'm hearing impaired and with my hearing aids, EVERYTHING is loud)
Nope, you don't need to raise your voice. If you're in Times Square, maybe, but less because of cars/street noise and more because there are lots of people. New York actually has a handful of noise pollution laws, and I think honking is something like a $500 fine. You'll be winding in and out of crowds and probably raise your voice to keep a conversation going if your friend is still behind you because there's only enough room for one person to walk through at a time. But again, this is Times Square, and why most people who live in New York avoid it at all costs.

But no, normally you just talk at a normal level.

*Is there certain areas of the city that isn't so loud? I imagine side streets aren't as loud as if..say..you were on Broadway or Fifth Avenue or that.
Absolutely. Again, pretty much anything is going to be quieter than Times Square. Central Park, for example. Side streets, entire neighborhoods in general. With a few more details I might be able to help you better.

*Are there certain smells that just linger in the air? I imagine that if you walk past restaurants that you can smell the aromas of the food. But what if you're not near any restaurants?
Food carts are pretty prevalent in some areas. The roasted nuts carts are the ones that smell the strongest to me--like caramel. Otherwise it's the kabobs that smell pretty good. But you'd also be hard-pressed to be in an area with zero restaurants, but I tend not to notice those smells.

Sometimes if you're over a subway grate you get a whiff of the subway down below, which is mostly a dirty/garbagey smell in my opinion. When it's super hot and nasty outside, you'd be surprised how good air conditioning smells when you pass an open door on the street. I don't notice an overall city smell unless I've been out of the city for awhile and then I come back. Even then, it only lasts for a minute or two.

*If someone who has lived in the city all their lives happens to be gone for two months, would the city still be like they remember do you think? Or do you think that they would pick something up in the air that they never noticed before?
It's fairly common for empty real estate to change over pretty quickly, so someone could be gone for a couple weeks and then there's an entirely different restaurant or storefront than was there before (happened to me, actually). It's totally possible for them to notice something that was never there ... the trick is figuring out if that thing was actually there the whole time or just sprouted up last week. It also wouldn't be unusual to go to a neighborhood you haven't been to in a couple weeks and find some things have changed.

*Here in Ohio, one of the rock stations on the radio has a two hour show which plays requests from their listeners. "Delilah" is the show's name. Are there any stations that do the same? The ones that listeners can request those cheesy songs to dedicate to other people?
Pretty much any radio station does call-in requests. Z100 is the big pop station. Power105 is also popular. WLTW, or 106.7 Lite FM, is the station that syndicates Delilah.

Last edited:

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Katiemac described it well. I would just add that when I'm out of the city for a while, everything smells like metal for a few minutes. I can also smell it in my kids' hair when they get back from the park. But I'm *extremely* sensitive to smells.

There's also just a continuous hum in the city that I never notice, but visitors do. Even with the windows closed.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Katiemac described it well. I would just add that when I'm out of the city for a while, everything smells like metal for a few minutes. I can also smell it in my kids' hair when they get back from the park. But I'm *extremely* sensitive to smells.

There's also just a continuous hum in the city that I never notice, but visitors do. Even with the windows closed.

I agree with metal -- that's not a bad way to describe it. I've never noticed in on someone though!

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. ;) I actually never listen to the radio myself, unless I'm in a cab, but the ones I mentioned above I work with on a fairly regular basis. I'll know better next time.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I don't live in NYC, but go there often. Besides what katiemac and Wendy says, I would like to add that NYC has just about anything for anyone, for the right price. Therefore you can actually create any scenario and it will work, maybe in a specific neighborhood at a specific time.

The most obvious thing I'd describe NYC is actually the pace. People walk fast and drive impatiently. Subway riders will push you if you stroll too casually in the walkway esp during rush hours. While this is supposedly a general phenomenon in bigger cities, I think NYC has the quickest pace in the US.

Smell - In winter, the aroma of coffee from the snacks/newspapers booths in staled subway mazes is a joyful stimulus. Summer, not so much with all the sweaty smells.

Noises - if you want to stress on a bad living environment where it is noisy, there are apartments that are like 10 feet away from overpass subway lines. People who live there will not "enjoy a serene evening at home." OTOH, your character can live in $50 million townhouses in Upper East Side and "enjoys serene evening."

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score

Thank you for any help.

Ha, I know Delilah. Her show is syndicated so it could be on any radio station in the country. I suspect her website will list stations that she is syndicated on. http://www.delilah.com/pages/stations.html
New York 106.7 WLTW
13233_1261075803.gif
Mon-Fri 8p-1a

Yep, I suspected right. (And Delilah is her real name)

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
One thing that wasn't said before about smells. Subways often have a combination of urine and incense, especially in winter when the homeless seek shelter below ground.

When I arrive from the burbs by train, that smell tells me I've hit the city. It's like a welcome back, but it's not that welcome.

-Debbie

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I was born and still live in NYC and one of its suburbs. I assume your questions have to do with your moving to NYC, not wanting background info for a book. If that is the case, and particularly since you live in Ohio, I strongly suggest you first visit NYC and stay here for at least a month.

While you have gotten some great opinions and insight from blueboarders, there's really no way anyone can prepare you for all that NYC is. And while the month I mentioned will help, there will be a gigantic amount of stuff you can only learn--love or dislike--until you become a New Yorker. It is unlike any other place in the US.

stitchingirl

Registered
Reaction score
Actually the info is for a book. I don't know if I would ever physically go to NYC, so it may just be a pipe dream at the moment.

Ever since I got my hearing aids, I've lost my desire to travel anywhere. I don't do good in public places with alot of people, and I'm not good in parking lots alone. I can just imagine how loud NYC would be for me and that sort of poo-poos the idea of visiting it. Even with the help of someone, I don't know if I'd be brave enough to venture there.

So, for now. I'll just have to rely on obtaining the needed information from people who either live there or visited it enough that they can recollect the information for me.

The hearing aids were suppose to allow me all this amount of freedom and now I'm hiding even more with them in. I just can't seem to get used to all the overwhelming noise that comes at me at once.

So, I thank all of you who are able to help me and give me any information that I may need.

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Ooof - what burough? There are a thousand neighborhoods, and every single one of them is different. Vastly.

Red Hook has very little public transit, a large Hasidic population, and looks like (a lot of it, anyway) a declining industrial park. It's generally very quiet on the edges.

Coney Island and the Bed Stuy area are highly residential, much of the architecture is strongly turn of the century, and the whole area feels vaguely haunted.

Midtown Manhattan is what you see most of in the movies.

Chinatown and Little Italy (where not intersecting with Canal Street) are a maze of small streets, many still cobbled, but they both feel very different beyond that.

Harlem sports Columbia University, Seminary Row by the river, a couple of parks that are pristinely silent - or the chaos of 125th street and the subway stops, chain stores, a bit of section 8 style housing (which can be gorgeous or a dump depending upon the one). It's all about where you go.

We haven't even hit Astoria, Flushing, Park Slope, Greenpoint, the Cloisters...

NYC is a BIG place, and very diverse.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
stitchingirl,

I am very sorry to learn more about your disability. I wish you the best.

As for the book that apparently contains a good deal of info about NYC, or is about NYC, is there any other city you can use? NYC and all it's about is the most, or one of the most, individual cities in the world when it comes to its format and idiosyncrasies. What one person hates, another loves -- and so on. I'm just afraid that even the plurality opinions of people you chat will not be true for most New Yorkers. For instance, some people hate the crowded streets on the East side from 34th street to 70th street while others love the excitement, activity, and diversity produced.

Just my 2 cents.
All the best.

Last edited:

stitchingirl

Registered
Reaction score
I think that could be said about any city, actually. I live in punytown, Ohio. Scott's lived here all his life and wouldn't dare dream of living elsewhere. Me, on the otherhand, I grew up in Akron, Ohio. That's definitely a far cry from where I am now. This place has like maybe 24,000 people..give or take a few?

I would like to maybe live somewhere in a bigger city, but he won't move. Just as with your views about New Yorkers, the same could be said about smaller towns, as well. Those that dream all their lives of getting out of Smalltown USA, while others couldn't imagine living elsewhere.

All the varied information that I can get may actually come in handy for the story. Those things that irks some people may give me a clearer idea of NYC, as well as maybe using some of those detestable characteristics that make up the city, while using those lovable aspects of living in NYC.
I feel that it may make me see the city better through a native's eyes, rather than trying to find the same information online.

I can find information about neighborhoods, but it won't let me know what it's like to actually live in said neighborhoods. The..what's the word?...the essence of that neighborhood? Which is what I'd be looking for. The smells that can be detected the first thing in the morning. The sounds that make that neighborhood unique, as well as those things that are often shared among other neighborhoods.