Not open for further replies.

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
Background:
A while back, a writer and friend of mine asked for some critiquing on a novel he was working on. He's a great writer, but needed some pretty basic help when it came to writing fiction - working with characters, dialogue and the like.

I helped him as much as I could and started advising him. I've written a stack of novels (some self-published, others yet to be published), have received positive feedback and have learned from reading some of my favorite novels by professional writers. The feedback I've received has been genuine, some from people I don't even know personally (that's always nice), and I think my advice to my friend was pretty sound.

While I was assisting him, I realized that maybe the information I was feeding him would be helpful to others as well. So I started writing down my thoughts in book-form. I wound up with a lot more than intended (from dialogue to using descriptions, to the emotional aspect of writing). I shared my first draft with my writers guild and they seemed to really like it and found it very helpful as some of them were just starting to try their hand at fiction.

Realizing that the information was indeed helpful to other writers, I added to the manuscript, had it edited and I prepared it to be a brief, easy-to-read, self-published handbook/guide (about 150 pages). The Foundation of Novel Writing is the title chosen and I've just been awaiting the funds to publish it.

Current problem:
Sometimes I have trouble in the area of confidence when I'm around other writers (especially professional ones). I involve myself with places like this and I see a plethora of opinions, perspectives and advice. And then I begin to wonder... if I present this handbook to writers other than those in my guild... is it just going to end in receiving responses that people don't agree with my advice? That I really don't know what I'm doing? Will other writers read it and think it's worthless because they go about their writing in a different way?

I didn't cover spelling and grammar - I just covered the other basics, and really, it's not for people who already write novels, but those just starting in that genre (though some of the advice could apply to other genres).

What should I do? I've received positive feedback from my guild... is that enough for me to be confident with the information I'm sharing? I'm scared to death to promote it here where I'm surrounded by writers who also know their stuff.

Is this making any sense at all? If it is, any advice?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a tough post to respond to. Because it could be that you just lack confidence, or it could be that the nagging voice telling you it's not all good advice and accurate could be right.

You said you've received critique from your "guild" but not other professionals.

My advice, if you haven't actually printed it yet, is to find some knowledgeable beta readers from outside your guild to critique the book. That way you can be more confident that it contains good, clear and accurate advice.

If you have already printed it, then I guess all you can do is hope it is right.

good luck with it.

~suki

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
Nope - haven't printed it yet. I was waiting on finances for that one.

Thanks for responding. I honestly don't know if it's just a confidence issue or not, and I even hate admitting that.

I also have to admit that I'm unfamiliar with the term "beta reader." Can I get a definition on that?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope - haven't printed it yet. I was waiting on finances for that one.

Thanks for responding. I honestly don't know if it's just a confidence issue or not, and I even hate admitting that.

I also have to admit that I'm unfamiliar with the term "beta reader." Can I get a definition on that?

Hmmm....I don't mean to be negative, but if you don't know the term "beta reader" I wonder about the advice. It's a fairly common term.

And given that your advice is going to be geared toward novices, it makes the burden to be accurate and knowledgeable twice as heavy in my opinion.

I'd check out the beta readers forum, read the stickies, and find some people to critique your ms who are not your friends or regular critique partners. Find out if your advice stands up to scrutiny. You owe it to your readers.

~suki

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I think a possible problem here is that by publishing a writing how-to book, you're presenting yourself as an expert on writing, and that requires credentials. I buy writing how-to books from people like Orson Scott Card and Stephen King: hugely popular, critically acclaimed, award-winning novelists with multiple commercially-published novels under their belt. I trust their opinions as experts on writing fiction for commercial publication. How does the reader know that you're an expert whose opinion is trustworthy?

edit: This is not to disparage your advice, the quality of which is an entirely separate issue. Plenty of unpublished writers have a great grasp of writing and are on the verge of breaking into commercial publication. You should see the amazing critique and advice our own suki :)LilLove:) gave, years before she sold her first novel.

Last edited:

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
Thanks, Parametric. I totally get what you're saying. Perhaps I should have mentioned in my original statement that I'm not looking at this project as something that will be a best-seller or even break 100 copies. I well know that my name out there means diddlysquat, so even if my advice is great, the general public wouldn't get that far to read it. My main goal is to remain more local with it...to have something to provide for the small groups I'm involved in - hence, my desire to simply self-publish it and not look for commercial publishing at all.

I'll keep thinking about it and see where the process leads me.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
Honestly. I would hire a technical editor. A tech editor would be an expert in you book's field. This is how you're going to know if you're for sure on the right track and if you ate - you can go ahead and have all the confidence you'd like. I've been in crit groups and guild and unless the guild is one comprised of professional writers, you have reason to want to be sure your work is accurate.

Pay a professional to edit the book. In fact, I would pay two professional editors if I were going to self-publish. A tech editor and a line editor. The line editor will catch all the grammar, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.