Does anyone use their e-reader as part of their revision process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I'm thinking of making at least one revision pass on the e-reader and taking notes on what needs to be fixed. The different format would allow me to look at the WIP with fresh eyes.

Does anyone else use their e-reader as a revision tool? If so, how do you use it?

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I use my Ereader to read through drafts prior to editing. It's a Sony PRS-505, and I can't make notes on it, which I find useful as, on the first read, I don't want to make notes. ;)

Much better on my eyes than reading off my monitor.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I use my Ereader to read through drafts prior to editing. It's a Sony PRS-505, and I can't make notes on it, which I find useful as, on the first read, I don't want to make notes. ;)

Much better on my eyes than reading off my monitor.

That's what I'm thinking too. During the first read, I really don't (and shouldn't) change the WIP itself. I only want to read it straight through and and note where I found problems. I noticed that reading my WIP on my Kindle feels like I'm reading someone else's work, which also helps create some needed distance from the WIP.

And I agree re: it being easier on my eyes. I hate reading off my monitor.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
All the time. First thing I do when I finish a manuscript is read through it on my reader. It definitely helps and it cuts down on the amount of printing I have to do. Plus I have one that allows me to make marks/notes, which is handy.

Also much less cumbersome than a manuscript when I want to read in the bathtub or something.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I've put the latest copies of my WIPs on my Kindle so I can read them through. I've just been doing .txt versions so the formatting isn't wonderful, but at least I've got everything with me whenever.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Yes, I do, too. Once a first draft is finished, I put it on my e-Reader so that for the first read-through, I'm actually forced to read it as a reader and can't be tempted to change anything.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I don't have an eReader, but I used to do some editing on my good old Palm PDA - a last pass like you're taking about. The small screen making the lines short meant I spotted some last typos that had slipped through, since my eyes didn't end up sliding across a long line reading what I thought was there rather than what was really there.

Reaction score
Aye.

I have a Sony eReader Touch, which allows me to highlight chunks of text. I could probably make more detailed notes, but if I highlight the text, when I go back over it, I know it's because that comma needs to become a semi-colon or I need to clarify who's talking.

I do the first draft on the laptop, edit in print, type up corrections on the laptop again, then read through on the ereader. The whole process only takes around ten days. Er, except for the first draft part, I mean. That takes a wee bit longer. ;)

CalynMorgan

In case of zombies, break the glass
Registered
Reaction score
I do! I have the Sony touch edition so I can make marks and notes and what not. Once I finish a chapter I put it on my reader. You never know when you're going to have five minutes to kill.

Irissel

Wandering Aimlessly Through Life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
irissel.blogspot.com
I do! I have the Sony touch edition so I can make marks and notes and what not. Once I finish a chapter I put it on my reader. You never know when you're going to have five minutes to kill.

I have the Sony touch, too. That sounds like a good idea, I'll have to try it. As it is, I think I've killed about fifty trees trying to edit this thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.