Using a pen name

Arkadia

Monsters and roses and perfume.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I'm about to start submitting various pieces of work for the first time. Due to a combination of finding my given name unpleasant and plans to take my partner's last name in the not-so-distant future, I've decided taking a pen name would be the most desirable course of action.

But I'm wondering: how do you initiate this with publishers? Do you sign your letters/emails with the nom de plume until it's time to write checks, then spring on them your 'real name'? Do you say when submitting, "If you choose to publish this, can you list my name as ______ while writing checks to _______?" This seems a bit forward to me.

I plan on submitting short fiction for the time being, until I finish my novel, and (if I have the fortune of being published) would like all publishing credits tied to the same name.

Anyone have any advice on how to begin using a pen name and how to politely inform potential publishers of the fact?

Any info would be so much appreciated :)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Use your real name for all correspondence. The only place you need to put your pen name is on the cover page of the manuscript (and in the header if your header includes your surname). To ensure there's no confusion, you can include a line in your cover letter saying that you write under the name 'Pen Name'. You don't need to mention the pen name in query letters, only cover letters with partial or full manuscripts.

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice on how to begin using a pen name and how to politely inform potential publishers of the fact?

Use your real name on all correspondence and for the checks to be written out to. You'll want to communicate with your editor (and agent, if you use one) about what name you want on the manuscript. It's usually not a big deal if you don't use your real name, so publishers probably aren't going to be concerned about it. Just another brand.

Authors might have one or many pen names. As long as all the checks and professional correspondence have your 'real' name, you should be good to go.

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing myself. Whew! Thanks everyone.

Rhonda2

Registered
Reaction score
Terie is correct. Pen name comes under the title on first page. Your real name and all contact information is in upper left corner of first page. Then each page in numerated your last name/ one word from title/page number. such as Schwartz / Eternity / 2

BubbaB

Registered
Reaction score
I have been doing it wrong I use my pen name no matter what because my Pen Name isnt much differnt then my Real name.