Small coincidences leading to something bigger?

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I want to work for Pixar very badly, and am trying to get an internship through them.

My school doesn't offer anything beyond a screenwriting class.

But still.

Little signs, signs that might not mean anything but still make me laugh (and in fact COULD give me enough hope that...well, it'll work out).

Stuff like the fact that there's an Oakland City, Indiana. And, oddly enough, there was an article about Oakland, California in my local paper.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
A couple years ago, I looked into getting an internship at Pixar for animation. That is, after all, what they're known for. And getting an internship with a big studio is EXTREMELY competitive and difficult. They are terminally inundated with requests from talented applicants. Not only does your work need to be stellar, but you'll need a big helping of luck to be chosen over hundreds of other gifted candidates.

It doesn't hurt to apply, but remember the reality of the situation.

Also, I'm curious why you're looking at Pixar for a screenwriting internship. The studio is known for CG, not screenwriting. If you're just looking for screenwriting experience, there are other places where it would be considerably easier to get a foot in the door, and where you'd probably get much more experience in the actual writing. Pixar's production process tends to focus on art and animation, not writing--as you might expect from a CG movie studio. :)

Believe me, I understand the love for Pixar--they're my favorite movie studio, too. Studying under the folks who work there would be unreal. I just think it's a little odd to be looking at them for a screenwriting internship.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I can't draw, but someone's gotta write the stories! :p

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Leah Reader.

In the meantime there are a lot of things you can do for when the opportunity arises.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I'm unclear. Are Pixar offering a screenwriting internship? If so I think you'd have an advantage. as most wouldn't apply to Pixar for that reason. Yet their scripts are exceptional , beating most main stream cinema hands down. go for it!

Edit: Their site doesn't seem to mention a screenwriting option, but production might be worth trying.

Last edited:

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I believe so, although I'm still researching (I'm still a year away).

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If you want it, go get it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, at least you tried.

Last edited:

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Now here's a hell of a coincidence.

My best friend, who I have mentioned several times on this board, is from a small town in Florida.

Well, this new girl starts working at McD's, and it comes up that she's not from here (a small town in Indiana that, save for a tornado back about five years (was it 5, tjwriter?), none of you have ever heard of.

So, to stir up conversation, I ask her where she's from.

A moment passes as she answers.

"Did you say...."

Sure enough.

What are the CHANCES of that?!