Mysticism, Theories About Heaven/Limbo etc.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a few shows lately that deal with the issue of being able to shape your own reality within the after life. Like in Supernatural (SPOILERS FOR SEASON FIVE BY THE WAY) the boys die and temporarily go to heaven for one episode, but their heaven is unique to them and their lives (though they aren't necessarily SHAPING it, I guess). And I've also seen a show lately where people were able to create their own space within limbo, SOMEHOW, that they chilled in until they could find each other.

I was wondering for those of you who might know, what theories, religious/mystic/philosophical, etc. might explain being able to do that? Being able to somehow shape your own reality within the after life? I really have no clue, though I've been research on my own.

Someone pointed me to the axis mundi but I'm not quite sure it deals with this (then again maybe I just don't understand it properly).

Any takers on this one?

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
It depends on what you define as the "afterlife". In the Astral Plane one can shpe the surroundings to a degree. One need not die to go there; the travel can be done through meditation, and some people end up there while unconscious from an accident.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
The theory I've heard is that because the spirit realm is pure energy it can be shaped into whatever you want by the power of thought. I've never seen that in mythology, it's just something I've heard discussed from time to time. It may be a more modern sort of idea.

Heaven is portrayed that way in the movie What Dreams May Come. I can't remember if they offer an explanation for why it works that way, though.