Is my age a hindrance or a boon?

Chazemataz

I went to sleep a poet
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question- is it possible for somebody to get published if they are under the age of 21 & still in high school or college? I am about to finish re-writing for the third time and I am very satisfied with the way everything has turned out. However, I am only 17, and I fear that anything other than a college degree in something will get me auto-rejected. Which I feel is unfair. However...

I have written a Young Adult novel. I am not sure if that will be a plus in this instance, because I devoted about an hour a day since my Freshman year writing this thing including all of the re-writes and the sequel which I've also re-written several times. Therefore, it may make my novel MORE marketable because I have written about high school life being a teenager? I've won many awards for my writing and I am a regular columnist for the teen section of my town's newspaper (it's a city of 50,000 in Ohio near Cleveland), and I don't mean to toot my own horn but I am fairly confident that I'm at least a decent writer. I'm also planning on being an English teaching major in college, as well.

Any agents here to give advice? When querying, should I even include my age at all, or reveal it later once I've proven I'm not some giggling Twilight fangirl who wrote about Edward?

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
On it's own? It's neither. The only issue you have is that your parents will have to sign the contracts.

Shady Lane and BlindWriter on this site are both published in their teens writers.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
It's neither a boon or a hindrance -- just don't mention it in your queries. Your age is pretty irrelevant to how well you write.

After you get an offer, most people don't give a toss about your age. I had one of three offering agents ask whether my parents had any questions (they didn't, apart from wanting to look at the contract). And when I signed my contract, I had to have a parent co-sign because I'm not quite eighteen yet -- it was pretty simple, and I guess that's the extent of the hindrance :)

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm 20, I was 19 when I first got in contact with my agent, and now I'm signed to a top agency and on submission to editors. You definitely won't have a problem so long as the writing is good. Queries don't ask age for a reason: it doesn't matter. So, don't put age in a query, but you may want to add that being young (non-specific) you have a very contemporary look at teen life. That'll help with YA. If anything, being young has it's positive points, and some agents are more likely to work with you. My agent had commented that he'd been working with another author my age on revising as well.

That said, I have to agree with John Green and Maureen Johnson (among others) and say you might want to just focus on writing for a while and not worry about the publishing yet. It's a crazy, stressful and intense (but rewarding!) journey, and I honestly wouldn't have been ready for it a few years ago.

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Carole Blake said in her book that if you were 17 or 70 to tell her about it, because it could be a great angle for marketing etc.

But otherwise it shouldn't matter, there are plenty of teen on this board who re published.

Danthia

The book is what matters. If you've reached professional level writing at 14, then you can sell a novel at 14. The only thing is, if the writer is under 18 they need a parent or guardian to sign the contract for legal reasons.

So nope, you're age doesn't matter one whit. No need to mention it until you got representation, and even then, it probably won't matter much. The novelty of teen authors is wearing off now since there are so many great ones getting published these days. But it might still be a good angle to use after you sell your book, so you'd want your agent to know that. But they won't like your book more or less if they know your age first. The book has to sell itself.

Geek_Pride

Fight For Your Right To Party
Registered
Reaction score
You got some great feedback!

Just echoing what everybody said, the quality of the book is far more important :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Being under eighteen is a plus, not a minus. It means more free pubicity. Newspapers, magazines, etc., love writing articles about the very young, or he very old, doing something successfully.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Being under eighteen is a plus, not a minus. It means more free pubicity. Newspapers, magazines, etc., love writing articles about the very young, or he very old, doing something successfully.

THIS.

Being younger helps. I'm 19, and I'm really pushing it to get my book out now because it will result in more attention from any future ones.

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
We have a 19yo member here who's published, don't we? I imagine we have had a few.

kaitlin008

Seeing newness all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kaitlinward.blogspot.com
And blindwriter (Kody Keplinger) who was already mentioned above. Her book THE DUFF comes out in September, and it is really awesome (as is she). She's 18.

Chazemataz

I went to sleep a poet
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I am thinking that I will mention something along the lines of "I am a student who is also a regular staff writer for the teen section of the [insert newspaper here] in addition to being a regular contributor to the literary magazine TeenInk. I have also won several awards for my writing from Kent State University." Sound good?

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Thank you very much. I am thinking that I will mention something along the lines of "I am a student who is also a regular staff writer for the teen section of the [insert newspaper here] in addition to being a regular contributor to the literary magazine TeenInk. I have also won several awards for my writing from Kent State University." Sound good?
Sounds better than my resume. And it impresses me that you're listing specific, relevant accomplishments rather than something like "I'm super creative and can't wait to sprinkle my magic fairy dust on the reading public!"

Good luck!

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score

Sounds good!

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
oh, but I didn't mention my age in my queries. All my agents (except Suzie, because I was already with the agency) didn't know my age at the time of offering, and my Simon Pulse editor didn't know until she offered, I'm pretty sure. I think my Roaring Brook editor knew, but I was kind of visible by then (that was last month).

Chazemataz

I went to sleep a poet
Registered
Reaction score
oh, but I didn't mention my age in my queries. All my agents (except Suzie, because I was already with the agency) didn't know my age at the time of offering, and my Simon Pulse editor didn't know until she offered, I'm pretty sure. I think my Roaring Brook editor knew, but I was kind of visible by then (that was last month).

Yeah, you're pretty much my hero & everything I hope to be someday soon! Keep it up. :)