PDA

View Full Version : my avatar

tiny
09-09-2005, 01:04 AM
Does anybody know if the avatar I'm using is a piece of Hokusi's Great Wave print? I keep looking at it and it seems to be. It's driving me nuts.

-chris

Sarita
09-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Not sure...

three seven
09-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Ok, obvious question... where did you get your avatar?

three seven
09-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Actually, never mind. I've examined both closely and it isn't. Case closed.

tiny
09-09-2005, 01:19 AM
He has a whole series, so it may not be that one. Black and white of course, but that's easily changed. It looks so familiar, of course, I spent many hours in art history and there are a lot of pictures hanging in my head.

-chris

three seven
09-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Where did you find the avatar?

Sarita
09-09-2005, 01:27 AM
What about this one?

aspier
09-09-2005, 01:28 AM
Does anybody know if the avatar I'm using is a piece of Hokusi's Great Wave print? I keep looking at it and it seems to be. It's driving me nuts.

-chris

Yes it is. He worked so small = 80 x 80 some such, no?

aspier
09-09-2005, 01:30 AM
Smile! Was just joking, UK?

three seven
09-09-2005, 01:30 AM
What about this one?How am I supposed to closely examine that? What's it called?

Sarita
09-09-2005, 01:34 AM
How am I supposed to closely examine that? What's it called?:tongue
I found it here: http://www.stencil-library.com/docs/cat020.htm

It's called Hokusai Wave on their site... and that's what I googled.

aspier
09-09-2005, 01:35 AM
How am I supposed to closely examine that? What's it called?

37 its 'wavsy yokusi' - they used to work like that in the times of the great fluxes of tsunami's ... suchi actually come from tsunamies, the bigger ones. But they are all beautiful and soft at the nipsies. The roundies, etc.

three seven
09-09-2005, 01:41 AM
:tongue
I found it hereOh. Well, it's not that either.

aspier
09-09-2005, 01:45 AM
:tongue
I found it here: http://www.stencil-library.com/docs/cat020.htm

It's called Hokusai Wave on their site... and that's what I googled.

Smile + Congratulations Saritam. You really have dug it out!

Gehanna
09-09-2005, 01:59 AM
Smile + Congratulations + Saritam = Smatu Samar in short form.

trumancoyote
09-09-2005, 02:37 AM
If there're lots of pictures hanging in your head, sir, you'd know that his name is spelled Hokusai.

tiny
09-09-2005, 02:44 AM
If there're lots of pictures hanging in your head, sir, you'd know that his name is spelled Hokusai.

Wow. A jab. Worth your time?

-chris(tine)

trumancoyote
09-09-2005, 02:47 AM
Ah. You're a miss.

And yes, I do believe it was.

tiny
09-09-2005, 03:17 AM
It's alright. I work as a self defense instructor with a group of burly men. I'm pretty sure I can deal with the spelling police. :box:

trumancoyote
09-09-2005, 03:29 AM
Hah. I spell terribly, to tell the truth: I'm just sensitive about my area of study, which is Japanese. And you were asking such a silly question: not answering where you found the avatar, etc., which naturally gets on my nerves -- so I felt the need to be nasty, as I'm wont to do.

I apologize for my mood, but not for what I said :)

mdin
09-09-2005, 03:45 AM
Are you studying Japanese at the UofA? If so, how does that program stack up compared with others around the country?

If you know, of course.

trumancoyote
09-09-2005, 03:47 AM
I'm actually at ASU, and though it's a crappy school overall, the Japanese program is one of the best. I don't know actual rankings or anything, but we've got some big names, good scholars, plugging us with information.

Many of our undergrads continue with the program at ASU through grad school because our professors really know their stuff.

I think Columbia and Middlebury are pretty impressive rivals when it comes to their Japanese programs, but comparatively speaking, keeping ASU's tuition in mind, we don't have it bad at all.

I know that's not really a definite answer to your question, but that's about all I have to offer :)

tiny
09-09-2005, 03:49 AM
I got the avatar here. It's icon16. Otherwise I would know what it is. But that would be a fun game wouldn't it.

And it was a trip of the keyboard. My typing leaves much to be desired (as does my spelling). I only studied Japanese pottery since my degree is in Ceramics. Art history was my husband's degree.

No, we do not live in a cardboard box.

-chris :wag:

trumancoyote
09-09-2005, 03:49 AM
I apologize, Christine. I really am in a rotten mood today :)

mdin
09-09-2005, 03:51 AM
Ahhh, Tempe. For some reason I thought you were in Tucson. Thanks anyway. If Tempe didn't have Phoenix attached to it, I'd be living there right now. I was up there for a year, but I ended up getting sucked back here.

[/end hijack]

trumancoyote
09-09-2005, 03:53 AM
Man, stay there. I hate it up here.

I'm not too fond of Arizona in general, really, but... I still like Tucson better.

tiny
09-09-2005, 03:56 AM
I apologize, Christine. I really am in a rotten mood today :)

Oh please, no worries. I love a good fight. Unfortunately, I'm better with my fists than I am with words on the screen. I have a hard time with sarcastic tones, I just don't have the ability to get them across as well as I do in person. :flag:

-chris

trumancoyote
09-09-2005, 03:59 AM
I'd say you did well w/ your original response, but that's neither here nor there.

I'd totally lose to you in a physical bout; I'm skinnay.

WVWriterGirl
09-09-2005, 07:06 AM
I got the avatar here. It's icon16. Otherwise I would know what it is. But that would be a fun game wouldn't it.

And it was a trip of the keyboard. My typing leaves much to be desired (as does my spelling). I only studied Japanese pottery since my degree is in Ceramics. Art history was my husband's degree.

No, we do not live in a cardboard box.

-chris :wag:

Since I stumbled upon the thread about what your avatar is, I've been studying it, trying to figure it out for myself. It just now hit me. It's a close-up of the "key well" or "striker well" of an old-fashioned typewriter. I don't know what the design is in the background, but the dark bits in the foreground are definately a typewriter!

WVWG

ETA: well, maybe not. Vodka talking, you know.

tiny
09-09-2005, 07:09 AM
See, I can't get past the feeling that those long bits are paddles...... I've actually been thumbing through all my art books and still nothing. Madness.

-chris