Not open for further replies.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Hi Everyone,

I'm curious. Are there others here who write to make a living but are not published authors?

For example, I'm a paralegal. Daily I take facts and write them into true stories for everyone from our bosses (insurance companies) and anyone who is working on the case, so that all involved can understand the story, if you will. I create and write extensive letters on case facts and such, and many other kinds of documents. Writing is integral to my job. If I could not write, I would not have this job.

What kind of "non-publishable" writing do you do?

Does you work writing influence your creative writing?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I've written and edited technical specs and user manuals for wastewater treatment and drinking water facilities. My job was to take things written by engineers and make them readable by humans. Tough work, lemme tell ya. And sometimes you do have to be a bit creative in turning their epic 98 word sentences into smaller more understandable steps.

Now, I fully utilize passive voice every chance possible when writing monthly reports on construction progress.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Now, I fully utilize passive voice every chance possible when writing monthly reports on construction progress.

Here, let me fix that for you:

Now, passive voice is fully utilized by me every chance possible when monthly reports on construction progress are written.

:D

I've been working as a tech writer for over 20 years. My first published book came out in 2006, but I still make my living with the day job.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write for work and get published all the time, but am not yet a published novelist. I work in marketing and am managing editor of a consumer publication with a print run of 80,000. Not only do I edit (often to the point of complete rewrite) every article that goes in, I also contribute 2 or 3 articles per issue. Some have my byline, some don't.

I also write news releases, etc. that get published in trade and consumer magazines.

None of this qualifies as a writing credit in the query process, unfortunately. Though I suppose it's good practice.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
I wrote ad copy for years--ad campaigns, commercials, videos, etc.

The great thing about working in advertising is that you get more work rejected than accepted on any given day, so you develop a pretty thick skin. You also become a creature of deadlines. Good tools to have.

EclipsesMuse

Questing
Registered
Reaction score
I write reponse letters to customers in the name of the CEO of a bank. I just started, so I don't know how it will affect my writing. I do think it will at least improve my grammar.

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of "non-publishable" writing do you do?

Does you work writing influence your creative writing?

I'm a technical writer during the day, writing proposals and technical materials for government contractors. This work doesn't impact my creative writing at all; it's a different sort of writing using different writing 'muscles'.

I write fiction in my spare time as a second job and have a few sales. For now, it's a nice balance, but I'll continue to work at both, most likely. The FT job has nice benefits and healthcare and some degree of security, which makes writing a really nice, low pressure second job.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I work in government in a pretty hot-topic area, so I write A LOT at work. In the past I worked in research, so lots more writing there too.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I've written and edited technical specs and user manuals for wastewater treatment and drinking water facilities. My job was to take things written by engineers and make them readable by humans. Tough work, lemme tell ya. And sometimes you do have to be a bit creative in turning their epic 98 word sentences into smaller more understandable steps.

Jen, you work sounds interesting.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I write for work and get published all the time, but am not yet a published novelist. I work in marketing and am managing editor of a consumer publication with a print run of 80,000. Not only do I edit (often to the point of complete rewrite) every article that goes in, I also contribute 2 or 3 articles per issue. Some have my byline, some don't.

I also write news releases, etc. that get published in trade and consumer magazines.

None of this qualifies as a writing credit in the query process, unfortunately. Though I suppose it's good practice.

Sounds like a lot of hard work, but maybe great fun. Wow.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
What an array of writing professions!

In answer to my own question- I do feel that my work writes influences my creative writing in that I have learned how to switch those hats. When I find myself starting to write those small sentences that sound very factual, I find that I have not switched from my legal writing mode to creative mode. By the same token, if I start writing a creative sentence in my day work, I have not turned off my creative mind yet. It's an interesting experience, to say the least.

michelle25

Registered
Reaction score
Good thread. I'm just now deciding to pursue professional writing work. As much fun as customer service and minimum wage jobs were (NOT), I think it's time to bring up my self worth by having a day job that lets me use my brain. I know some creative writers prefer to not do that, but it sounds like you guys are doing pretty well with your jobs that pay you to write. I hope to join you! (I've just applied to a prof. writing certificate program at the Univ of Central FL which will be online and includes some technical writing courses - keeping my fingers crossed).

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Any chance you write novels with a a legal background? I know one lawyer who writes best selling legal thrillers. However, last I heard, he was still working part time at the firm he's been at for years.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! :runs screaming:

I write women's fiction, mainstream fiction, and romance. I might have a character or two who's a lawyer, but that's the closest I'll go to incorporating legal stuff into my stories. My legal mind shuts off the minute I leave the office. Law is what I do, not who I am.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
NOOOOOOOOO!!!! :runs screaming:

I write women's fiction, mainstream fiction, and romance. I might have a character or two who's a lawyer, but that's the closest I'll go to incorporating legal stuff into my stories. My legal mind shuts off the minute I leave the office. Law is what I do, not who I am.

I missed your reply from a few weeks back. I have thought of writing a legal thriller with the MC as a paralegal, but I would have to step out of the type of law I work in- construction defect. I guess I could imagine a ghost story centered around people buried in the walls, though....

I know exactly what you mean about law bing what you do, not who you are. :D

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I use the word AUTHOR only to mean a writer who has published a NOVEL. So I don't consider myself an author. I don't care if my definition of AUTHOR is right or not...it's not up for discussion.

I'm a freelance writer. I write articles, radio commercials, plays, poetry...etc. All of these things I do for money---work. But I am not an author as of yet. I have a novel coming out in July 2011...when that comes out, I will consider myself an author.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I use the word AUTHOR only to mean a writer who has published a NOVEL. So I don't consider myself an author. I don't care if my definition of AUTHOR is right or not...it's not up for discussion.
Well, it is correct anyway. :) But, reading your last response below, I see exactly what you mean.

I'm a freelance writer. I write articles, radio commercials, plays, poetry...etc. All of these things I do for money---work. But I am not an author as of yet. I have a novel coming out in July 2011...when that comes out, I will consider myself an author.
What kind of articles od you do? I think writing radio commercials must be interesting. I suppose the writer has to know how to draw the listener in. I love the Geico commercials!

Congratulations on your novel coming out in 2011!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Well, it is correct anyway. :) But, reading your last response below, I see exactly what you mean.

What kind of articles od you do? I think writing radio commercials must be interesting. I suppose the writer has to know how to draw the listener in. I love the Geico commercials!

Congratulations on your novel coming out in 2011!

Thanks, Susan. I write articles on any number of topics- Health field/Careers/Interior design/gardening/travel, etc, etc, etc. What I do is kind of live my life...and write articles about it along the way. For instance, last year I was redecorating around the house. I did one wall in our great room with anaglypta...and fell in love with how it came out. SO...I thought, I have to write an article on this! So, I contacted a magazine editor I know and said, "Anaglypta!" She said, "800 words, with pictures...3 weeks." And it kind of works like that. I just love to write about things I'm passionate about. I did seven or eight decorating articles while I was ACTUALLY decorating.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a researcher, and have just over 50 articles in scientific journals.

I've been encouraged here to make mention of these as writing credits because someone has paid me to produce these, even if it wasn't the publication who paid me. I word it as "Fiction publishing credits include.... In addition, I have 51 scientific articles published during the course of my employment in various scholarly, trade, and popular journals."

Sadly, being a scientific writer is sometimes a hindrance in fiction writing. I get my paycheck for being able to describe in very precise language exactly what happened and what I found, and this come across as very heavy and dry in fiction writing. Or in posting on the internet, for that matter.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'll chime in as another technical writer. I write the manuals and online Help that instruct people on how to install and use consumer software products. Asleep yet? :)

Technical writing is what I do for money. Fiction is what I write for fun and to be creative and because I just love doing it.

Mistress Elysia

Overwriters Anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
I teach teenagers English and am my departments creative writing go-to girl, so I am always writing little snippets and exemplar material for the different genres, from mock-up newspaper articles to gothic horror.

Ton Lew Lepsnaci

A WIP
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a scientist so I write scientific articles and books. Also grant proposals, which kind of blend creative writing with scientific reporting. I write fiction, to steal a quote from Dahl, because it gives absolute freedom :) And it allows me to practice my second passion, story telling. And yeah, my science background crops up in some of my stories, but it certainly doesn't happen for all stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.