PDA

View Full Version : So an agent asked for my resume...

Rolkus
07-23-2010, 10:32 AM
So I approached an Agent, as a friend of mine told me to. The agency looks after actors mainly, but are also interested in screenwriters (that's me, hopefully).

So she asked me to send her a resume.

I promptly said "Yeah, sure, no worries." and then hung up the phone after getting her details. I thought to myself, shit. I only have a resume with 10 years of retail experience on it, I have no screenwriting qualifications nor have I attended any classes or anything.

All I have is one complete screenplay (co-written, two of my own screenplays in the works in addition to another one I am co-writing (which a producer asked us to do, but thats another story)).

What can I put? I don't really have many hobbies that involve sports, other then watching. I watch movies like every other Tom, Dick and Harry. I listen to music, as does the rest of the population.

Any help would be great, apologies if this question has been asked already, I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Cheers.

cate townsend
07-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Send her a resume with what you mentioned here - what you're working on, and what you've written, and include sample pages. You don't have to format it like a typical resume; think about formatting it like a query letter, highlighting your key accomplishments, like completing a screenplay and writing one at the request of an industry professional - the producer.

Figure out what you most have to offer the agent, then focus on that. For instance, you're writing novels as well, which expands your skill set as a writer. Instead of trying to sell her on what you've done, sell her on your potential. Even if she doesn't offer you anything right now, you'll have her in your contacts.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

R. A. Lundberg
07-28-2010, 05:56 PM
A resume? What, does she want to hire you to be her assistant?

I'd say send her a standard-type query with the usual amount of pages included.

It's really irrelevant if you've been supporting yourself in retail, construction, computer programming or selling on ebay.

Screenwriting is light years away from acting. I wouldn't expect much from this agent. Get your work out there in front of actual literary/screenwriting agents.

ETA Good luck!

Gugland
07-28-2010, 07:44 PM
From what I understand, it's fairly common for screenwriters to sub their resumes along with their screenplays if and when it's necessary. Like, if you were writing a cop drama, it would be helpful if you could show your experience in law enforcement, so they can be reassured that you know what you're talking about.

If that's why he wants it, then maybe you could tailor your res to fit the topic of your screenplay (?).

incognitopress
07-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Wait a second. There's resumes, and then there are writer resumes. I have 2 different CV's, one a professional bio (that I submit when I seek publication or apply for grants, etc), and then a regular resume. My professional one is only 1 page, a combination of a short bio (photo jpg included), my publishing credits, any awards, etc, that kind of thing.
Even if you don't have many credits, you can make up a 1-page blurb about yourself, adding any community involvements, volunteering with plays, involvements with the arts, etc. It's easier than you think.