PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here go to the ACFW conference?

cgreutman
07-23-2010, 02:25 AM
Hey Everyone,

Just wondering if any of you go the annual American Christian Fiction Writers conferences.

Robin Bayne
07-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Never been, but if they ever hold it near Maryland I would attend.

BruceJ
07-27-2010, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't mind, but $$$. I go to the smaller conferences at this time. Still some great representation from the publishing industry, but not so expensive. Good example was the Northwest Christian Writer's Renewal Conference last May in Seattle. Brandilyn Collins was the featured speaker (great seminars!), and editors from Bethany House, Harvest House, Revell were there, as well as agents from WordServe and Chip MacGregor's agency. Cost for Friday-Saturday was $149.

Gravity
07-27-2010, 07:04 PM
I went to the ACFW conference in 2008, but couldn't make it last year. This year, I don't know.

cgreutman
07-27-2010, 11:22 PM
BruceJ, that conference sounds nice, I wish it was closer.

Gravity, I was there in 2008 also! We may have sat next to each other in a workshop.

Gravity
07-28-2010, 01:23 AM
That very well could be! I'd gone to the Glorieta conference outside Santa Fe every October for several years, and was on staff there for three. The 2008 Minneapolis ACFW conference was my first. Had a great time re-connecting with old friends. Good memories.

Deb Kinnard
07-29-2010, 11:19 PM
I'll be in Indianapolis. You'll find me behind the Midwest Zone table -- I'm the short-round one with glasses.

John, if you can't make it that'll be a loss. I'd love to connect with AWers...Roger came last year in Denver and he was very interesting to get to know.

cgreutman
08-04-2010, 11:33 PM
I'll be watching for you!

mljoshua
08-30-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm going this year for the first time. I am really looking forward to it!

Deb Kinnard
09-01-2010, 05:48 AM
Wear the mask, Michael. You'll be a good match for Stu Stockton in his rubber dinosaur head.

cgreutman
09-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Looks like there will be quite a few of us. Great!

Robin Bayne
09-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Looking forward to reports from the conference!

Roger J Carlson
11-23-2010, 01:05 AM
So, did anyone attend the AFCW conference this year?

Jack Parker
11-23-2010, 03:51 AM
There was one in Minneapolis? Cheeseballs! I wish I'd decided to start writing sooner. I could have possibly gone to that one.

Never been to a writing conference. My dream vacation would be a writing conference that takes place on a cruise ship. I could handle that.

Roger J Carlson
11-23-2010, 06:03 PM
This year's conference (2010) was in Indianapolis. You can click here: http://www.acfw.com/conference/ to see what you missed. The year before it was in Denver. I don't know where it will be in 2011.

Interestingly enough, there are Christian Writers Conference Cruises: http://www.acwriters.com/

cgreutman
11-23-2010, 09:04 PM
I was at ACFW this year and had a great time. How about you?

Gravity
11-23-2010, 09:45 PM
I didn't make it this year, but since I'm no longer writing for the CBA, it was a moot point anyway.

Jack Parker
11-24-2010, 07:15 AM
Interestingly enough, there are Christian Writers Conference Cruises: http://www.acwriters.com/
Thanks heaps, Roger. Bookmarked it. :Thumbs:

Robin Bayne
11-24-2010, 05:16 PM
The group's ezine had conference recaps-- I believe in the October issue. If not, check the archives.

http://www.acfw.com/ezine/oct10.shtml

Deb Kinnard
11-28-2010, 04:14 AM
I went. As in other years, there were some really good aspects and some not so hot. Good stuff: the seminars and continuing education sessions I attended were quite good. Not so good: the booksigning. I've seen better organized riots.

I'll be going to next year's, which will be in St. Louis, probably the same dates or close to it (3rd week in September). It's only a 5 hour drive from Chicago.

John, who's your new publisher? I consider myself between houses right now, and I'd sure love to find a permanent "home."

Deb Kinnard
09-27-2011, 05:01 AM
2011 Conference Report (from your openly biased and probably jaded Roving Reporter)

1. Organization - not as good as previous years. A higher degree of chaos, as illustrated by the fact that I had to ask permission to put my freebies out on the freebie table. The person in charge later apologized, but I'm still trying to figure that one out.

2. Hotel - nice rooms, meh food. The staff couldn't seem to figure out that if they served soup, it'd be nice to have spoons with which to consume it...

3. Publisher panels - I wish they'd schedule 'em at varying times. Nobody can attend more than one, since they're all scheduled concurrently. I can report with confidence that Zondervan is not looking for new authors with whom to work, nor for Christian spec-fic, nor for non-US settings...I'll report on the others if I hear anything specific.

4. My Sheaf House book sold out of the bookshop! Which means John's (Gravity's) superb HEADING HOME sold out also. They didn't have a booksigning at all, but asked us all to come early and sign all our stock.

5. The editors I met with are okay (within reason) with projects set in the medieval centuries. Well, at least they asked for proposals. Sorry I can't report on other genres, since I had no dog in those hunts.

6. Jeff Gerke from Marcher Lord came to the banquet in a red tabard, a plastic sword, and chain mail. Gotta love it.

7. The usual suspects won the "Carol" awards for book of the year. No real surprises there, save for the fact that Jim Rubarts' ROOMS, which released last year to such hooplah, did not win in either of the categories in which it was entered.

That's about all I can think of right now, 'cause my brain is still fried. If you have questions, post 'em and I'll see if I know the answer.

Next year is in Dallas. We're booked into a huge hotel near the airport. Since this year we had over 650 conferees, a huge hotel seems like a smart idea.

Gravity
09-27-2011, 05:28 AM
2011 Conference Report (from your openly biased and probably jaded Roving Reporter)

1. Organization - not as good as previous years. A higher degree of chaos, as illustrated by the fact that I had to ask permission to put my freebies out on the freebie table. The person in charge later apologized, but I'm still trying to figure that one out.

2. Hotel - nice rooms, meh food. The staff couldn't seem to figure out that if they served soup, it'd be nice to have spoons with which to consume it...

3. Publisher panels - I wish they'd schedule 'em at varying times. Nobody can attend more than one, since they're all scheduled concurrently. I can report with confidence that Zondervan is not looking for new authors with whom to work, nor for Christian spec-fic, nor for non-US settings...I'll report on the others if I hear anything specific.

4. My Sheaf House book sold out of the bookshop! Which means John's (Gravity's) superb HEADING HOME sold out also. They didn't have a booksigning at all, but asked us all to come early and sign all our stock.

5. The editors I met with are okay (within reason) with projects set in the medieval centuries. Well, at least they asked for proposals. Sorry I can't report on other genres, since I had no dog in those hunts.

6. Jeff Gerke from Marcher Lord came to the banquet in a red tabard, a plastic sword, and chain mail. Gotta love it.

7. The usual suspects won the "Carol" awards for book of the year. No real surprises there, save for the fact that Jim Rubarts' ROOMS, which released last year to such hooplah, did not win in either of the categories in which it was entered.

That's about all I can think of right now, 'cause my brain is still fried. If you have questions, post 'em and I'll see if I know the answer.

Next year is in Dallas. We're booked into a huge hotel near the airport. Since this year we had over 650 conferees, a huge hotel seems like a smart idea.

Thanks for the kind words about HH, Deb! Since I'm no longer writing for the CBA (The Radiance, my latest, will be out with a secular science fiction house this coming February, and my hope-to-be-my-agent thinks Relentless would be a good fit for the general market), I probably won't go to AFCW again.

A shame, too. I'll miss the fellowship.

Calla Lily
09-27-2011, 05:50 AM
John, that's the only thing I miss about ACFW. Other conferences have gabs and get-togethers, and they're delightfully diverse. I love them. But I also loved the prayer sessions and the overall atmosphere at ACFW. (But not all the restrictions in the CBA. :))

Gravity
09-27-2011, 06:09 AM
^^^^Yep, quoted for truth! :D

Robin Bayne
09-28-2011, 02:51 AM
Congrats for the books selling out, both of you! And thanks for the report Deb. I always want to register but later am so glad I didn't spend the money to go.

cgreutman
09-28-2011, 07:47 AM
I really wanted to go this year, but it just wasn't possible. This is my first year to miss in four years.

NancyMehl
10-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Coming in late to this conversation. Haven't been around for a while. I spent Friday at the conference. (My first time.) I felt a little left out because I didn't have any meetings with agents or publishers, but getting to meet writers in person I've known online for many years was a blast! I'll probably try to go to Dallas next year. I do have to say that by the end of the day, however, this gal was plumb tuckered out! A lot going on, and a lot of noise. (S)

NancyMehl
10-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Hey, I changed my picture. Why is my old book still showing up?

NancyMehl
10-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Nevermind. Had to change the avatar. Who knew! LOL!

Gravity
10-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Great looking cover, Nance!

NancyMehl
10-06-2011, 12:58 AM
Great looking cover, Nance!

Hey, thanks John! I didn't realize you weren't writing for CBA anymore. I'm pretty sure I understand why.

cgreutman
10-06-2011, 01:14 AM
I didn't make it this year, lots of crazy things happening at home, but I'm glad you all had a good time!

Gravity
10-06-2011, 01:41 AM
Hey, thanks John! I didn't realize you weren't writing for CBA anymore. I'm pretty sure I understand why.

Yep. I once heard Jesse Duplantis say (concerning church, but the analogy holds), "go where you're celebrated, and not just tolerated."

After ten years of smashing my skull against the CBA wall, I bailed. It remains to be seen whether the world will treat me better, but God knows it couldn't be worse (I don't think! :D)