PDA

View Full Version : Spanish translation wanted! warning -- swear words!

Other
07-23-2010, 02:12 AM
I need some words and phrases translated into Spanish for my novel. I would particularly like to hear from native Spanish speakers who are part of the Latino population in America.

Rather than a literal, word for word translation, I want to know the equivalent word or phrase. For example, "priest" might not be what a Latino would say when speaking Spanish. However, I have heard padre (father) used instead. So, if I asked to have "priest" translated, I would want the word to be translated as "padre." I'm not sure if I explained what I want clearly, so if it is confusing let me know!

I have put what I want translated into sentences (for context -- in case it is important for getting the equivalent). I've also included what gender the person is who says it and what gender they are saying it about or to.

The words I want in Spanish are underlined.

The town is named River Bend.
I hate that fucker! (male speaking about a male)
That guy is bad news. (male speaking to a woman)
You are a stupid bitch! (male speaking about a female)
Mother! Oh mother! How can you be dead? (female speaker)
"I am doing God's work," said the priest. (male speaking to woman)
I saw your mother. (male speaking to a female)
"Oh God," exclaimed the grief-stricken woman. (to herself)
"Shh, shh," the woman hushed and comforted the teenage girl.
It's okay. (woman to a girl)
Everything will be okay. (woman speaking to a teenage girl)
That big rock is called Old Stubborn.
"Oh my God!" (teenage girl AND a woman both exclaiming)
Hurry! (woman to a teenage girl)

Thanks ahead of time!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
07-23-2010, 02:16 AM
Until a Spanish-speaking member happens along... have you tried Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/#)?

poetinahat
07-23-2010, 04:22 AM
A town name is a town name - I don't think that would be translated. Los Angeles, Baton Rouge, Montreal, La Paz, Wagga Wagga - we say them as they are. Sometimes we change the pronunciation - English-speakers say Florence for Firenze, and French say Londres for London. But that's more, I think, a matter of linguistic custom; it's easier to say the word a different way. That's how the town (and river) of Maumee, in northwest Ohio, got its name; it was changed from Miami by the then-occupying French.*

----
*: I may have this part backward or completely wrong, but it's the story we were told when I was a kid.

Bartholomew
07-23-2010, 06:06 AM
I'll hit this up later on. I need 10k words by the end of the day. :)

maxmordon
07-23-2010, 06:34 AM
Recodo del Río, Caney (Caney comes from Taino and is used in the Caribbean).
Ese cabrón
Problemático
Tonta ramera, puta estúpida (this one is quite offensive and vulgar)
¡Madre, madre! ¿Cómo puedes haberte morido? (if it just happened), ¡Madre, madre! ¿Cómo puedes haber muerto?
La obra de Dios
Tu madre
Dios mío
I guess since this is an onomatopeia you can leave it as such.
Está bien
Bien
La Vieja Terca
Dios mío
¡Apúrate![/QUOTE]

sarah23
07-23-2010, 07:25 AM
I speak Spanish, but I'm not Latino; however, I'm minoring in Spanish in college. Here are some of them.
# 13 ¡ AY, mi Dios¡ / Oh, my God
# 14 ¡Dése prisa! (interjection form; noun form would be just prisa) Hurry! /
# 11 ¡Está bien! (interjection) or you might just want to have the character just say "bien"--literally fine.
# 10 Que está bien./ It's okay.
#9 "Shh, shh" would be the same as in English; it's just a sound. Unless you want the character to say "Be quiet"; in which case, that phrase is this: ¡Cállate!
#8 ¡Ay, Dios! /Oh, God!
#7 su madre / Your mother
#6 Estoy haciendo la obra de Dios./ I am doing the work of God.
#5 ¡ Madre! ¡Ay, madre! ¿Cómo puedes estar muerto? / Mother! Oh, mother! How can you be dead?
# 12 Viejo terco/ Old stubborn

As for #s 2-4, those are idiomadic expressions, I believe, which means unless you've learned them, you have to look them up in dictionary of some sort.
# 1 Generally, town names aren't translated; that is, unless the town names are in a specific region of a Spanish-speaking country. Then, in that case, the town names would have Spanish names. But if your town names (i.e., River Bend) are set in the USA, you would simply just have your Spanish characters say the town names in English. In other words, whether or not you use the Spanish translation or the English translation depends on where the region (or the setting) of your towns are.

Hope this helps you some!

http://www.google.com/images/cleardot.gif

Other
07-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks everybody!

backslashbaby
07-24-2010, 05:37 PM
#9 "Shh, shh" would be the same as in English; it's just a sound. Unless you want the character to say "Be quiet"; in which case, that phrase is this: ¡Cállate!

Callate isn't comforting. It's like 'Shut up,' according to all my teachers :) We were always told to say 'cierra (sp?) la boca' for 'be quiet', which still might not be like a nice shush. No se! I never had to tell someone to be quiet :)

oneblindmouse
08-09-2010, 02:39 PM
As a Spanish speaker in Spain (NOT Latin America), I would say:

1. ..leave as River Bend, but could say Recodo del Río.
2. Odio ese cabrón / capullo / hijoputa.
3. Ese tío es un cabrón / capullo / hijoputa.
4. (Eres una) zorra idiota / estúpida.
5. ¡Madre! ¡Ay, madre! ¿Cómo puedes estar muerta?
6. Hago la labor del Señor.
7. Ví a tu / su madre. (depending if it's the familiar tu or the respectful usted)
8. ¡Dios mío!
9. Ea, ea..... or Sh, sh
10. Está bien. or Tranquila, cálmate.
11. Todo saldrá / irá bien.
12. Esa roca se llama Vieja Terca.
13. ¡Ay, Dios mío!
14. ¡Deprisa! or ¡Date prisa! or ¡Rápido!