PDA

View Full Version : TRON: Legacy trailer

Sophia
07-23-2010, 12:49 AM
The trailer is here (http://movies.yahoo.com/Tron).

I want to like this, as TRON is one of my favourite ever films, but I'm not convinced by the trailer. The effects look good, not distracting or overdone but just right, I think, but story-wise I'm not quite hooked. Will still watch it, though. :)

Smileycat
07-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Just saw it at Yahoo. Here's a very nice article, explaining how they transported a younger-looking Bridges into the film - http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-tron-legacy-comic-con-trailer.html.

Can't wait!

Calla Lily
07-23-2010, 05:15 AM
IT looks like a lot of fun. Not $9 at the movies fun, but def. DVD fun.

Plot Device
07-23-2010, 07:37 AM
So he's "the son of the creator."

More christological symbolism awaits us, guys (just like in the first film).

dgiharris
07-23-2010, 08:15 AM
The trailer is here (http://movies.yahoo.com/Tron).

I want to like this, as TRON is one of my favourite ever films, but I'm not convinced by the trailer. The effects look good, not distracting or overdone but just right, I think, but story-wise I'm not quite hooked. Will still watch it, though. :)

THis is what scares me.

WHenever hollywood has a guaranteed fanbase, it seems that they just don't put forth their 'best' effort. It feels like they just says, "Meh, its good enough, lets go with that..."

Tron Legacy has all the potential in the world to be an INCREDIBLE movie.

But a part of me suspects that the original will probably be better than the sequel, at least story wise.

Regardless, this movie has to be aserious dog for me not to see it

Mel...

Smileycat
07-23-2010, 12:21 PM
I was one of seven people in the movie theater who saw it when the original TRON came out. Because my thing was computers, I understood everything clearly, but my sister (who went with me) didn't. I went back to see it two more times.

katiemac
07-23-2010, 05:36 PM
I liked this trailer. The reviewer where I originally watched the clip pointed out it's cut very much like the Star Trek trailer was... slow open, focus on the relationship, then slams down with a bunch of action shots. And hey, it made me want to see Star Trek.

And even though I don't care much for Olivia Wilde, I do kind of like her wig.

I still need to see the original, though. I've been trying to get around to that for awhile. A theater here was playing it one night not too long ago; I'm hoping they'll play it again soon.

Shadow_Ferret
07-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Oddly enough, I prefer the original special effects. These left me with a feeling like, "I've seen these before, only better."

I think I'll rent the original and forget about this one.

Plot Device
07-23-2010, 07:36 PM
The first movie was supposed to have a scene that they ultimately cut from the final theatrical release. You can only view it on the DVD extras now. It was an odd and problematic item on the whole roster of "world building" that they did for the movie.

That scene had the female program --the "girlfriend"-- and the male TRON program both "go back to her place" together where she "slipped into something more comfortable," and then they spent the night. Then there was another scene that Hollywood refers to as a "morning after" scene were they are sitting on the couch together, talking. And when the guys at Disney were in the film's final edit, they were asking themselves. "Okay, so this is a 'mornng after' scene, but ... what exactly did they 'do' together last night? They're not biological creatures. Do they have reproductive organs? Was it as good for her as it was for him? Does he keep a spare toilet kit there at her place? What the hell were we even thinking when we wrote and then shot this scene?" So they cut it completely and thus backed away from such a bizarre twist to their world-building as there being sexuality between the "male" and "female" programs. They even eliminated the idea of the programs having "homes." It's not that Disney's original world-building effort doesn't allow for the programs to have private homes. It's just that they backed away from SHOWING it during the first film.

So now, 30 years later, I wonder what sort of rethinking and fine tuning they were able to bring to the whole idea of the programs having "homes" and engaging in sexuality with each other.

Smileycat
07-23-2010, 10:30 PM
There are loads of TRON and TRON game trailers and clips at Hulu.