Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/07/22/bbc-condemned-for-tv-portrayal-of-gay-people/

I'm not sure what they are objecting to, tbh.

Particularly the comments make me want to punch something. It's the usual 'why do they have to show gay men as limpwristed poofs all the time instead of quasi-heterosexual whose only claim to gaydom is that they don't only pee their wages up the wall, but aim the thing in the direction of a member of the same sex once in a half-year'.

I'm going to write my coming out-story as an outrageously camp thing, full of delicious stereotypes. I'm sure it will upset some gay man that in reality really want to be heterosexual, and who quivers under the bed every time someone thinks he's not a Real Man.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure TV in the UK is full of insensitive stuff about gays, and I'm sure they deserve criticism.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell added: "Congratulations to Stonewall for exposing the systemic, institutional homophobic bias of British TV. Unseen on Screen documents a shocking catalogue of negative, stereotypical and invisibilised depictions. Every television executive ought to feel shame."
"This report is a wake up call to the TV industry. It's time that channel chiefs ordered a dramatic change in the way LGBT people and issues are portrayed. We deserve more and fairer air-time, including more positive coverage.

Exposing? Wake-up call? Is this guy joking or something? Was there anyone out there who listens to anything Stonewall says that didn't already notice this trend in the media? Maybe someone who doesn't watch TV, I guess.

Anyway, I think there is often a bit of heteronormativity and such in complaints about portrayals that acknowledge that some of us are different from straight people in ways other than who we have feelings for.

But most of the time, I think complaints about media portrayals aren't about that, but rather about outright demeaning treatment. Like the stuff Brian Safi talks about in his "That's Gay" Infomania segment. Stuff like "gay men are neither men nor women," "lesbians are only acceptable when they're not really lesbians," "being gay is a phase," and the like.

Reaction score
I don't dislike Tatchell because he's gay.

I dislike him because he's a pretentious, argumentative, belligerent arsehole.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tatchell is a disaster, really. What he does is destroy any kind of dialogue with people by making them assume a defensive position. You can't really convince people not to be a twat if you're screaming at them at the top of your loungues, using a loudspeaker.

Now when I'm reading my little outburst above, I'll go and try to find legal loopholes in the stickys...

Shiny

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Particularly the comments make me want to punch something.

I gave up reading the comments a while ago.

I've realised I don't watch enough TV to have a clue if the BBC is the worst. There was the whole stupid of the poll asking if execution in Uganda for being gay was okay.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah. I think both Tatchell and those commenters, and the study itself, is an example of what they're talking about in the AyJay-thread. It's an insidious sort of thing, where you're going insular in your definitions. You are defining gaydom from heterosexism, either by reacting to it or by adopting it.

The result becomes that you're putting a definition straight jacket on people.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I don't dislike Tatchell because he's gay.

I dislike him because he's a pretentious, argumentative, belligerent arsehole.

I feel this way about Perez Hilton.

We don't get the exact same programming on BBC America, so the rest of it I'd feel squicky commenting on. But BBCA isn't exactly the place to point in the States for shocking and stereotypical depictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.