PDA

View Full Version : Advice please!

cspradbery
07-22-2010, 12:15 PM
On Tuesday night I met the CEO to a major league agency and spoke to him about my current agent situation (full MS with agent after revisions, turned down one agent while revising, had further two requests last week), and he ended up giving me his card and asking me to contact his YA agent. I did this yesterday and she responded almost immediately, saying the novel was right up her street, to send in the whole MS right away and she would read it over the weekend with an answer for me next week. She also asked me not to make any decisions about representation in the meantime.

Now, also on Tuesday night I met one of the top people of a very big publishing house who also gave me her card. I emailed her yesterday to thank her for her time and to update her on the contact with the big agent. She responded saying if the big agent took me on, she wants her publishing house to have first refusal on my book.

Now obviously this is hugely exciting (I can't actually eat right now), but I have a few questions.

1. Should I email the big agent to let her know what the publisher said? Would this sway things in my favour at all?
2. Should I let the agent who helped me with revisions know about any of this?
3. Do I bother saying anything to the two agents who requested my MS last week?

I am quite aware that I may end up with nothing (please God, no!) so I want to do all I can to secure a contract. On the other hand I don't want to piss anyone off and scare them away.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice.

Carla

waylander
07-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Great situation to be in.
Nothing has to happen until you have an offer of representation.
When you have an offer from an agent (or when you are having the talk that leads to an offer) is the time to mention the contact with the publisher.

Ryan_Sullivan
07-22-2010, 01:04 PM
If you get an offer from the new agent, you could e-mail the others if you'd be interested in them, but if you would just go with her anyway, you could simply withdraw.

As far as the first refusal--it's not a good thing. It's very limiting. Very. You're not signing a contract, so just politely tell her that you cannot promise right of first refusal at this time, but will discuss it once you've settled your agent situation, and that you'll keep her publisher at the top of your list.

Never put yourself in a limiting situation if you don't have to--and you don't. She won't shun you and drop interest simply because you won't grant it to her--but it's smart for her to try.

So, sort out who you want as an agent, hope they offer, and then discuss with them. In the meantime, do not give right of first refusal (not that you're signing a contract for it anyway).

Also, an agent wouldn't want you to give that up--it limits what they can do for you.

Theo81
07-22-2010, 01:05 PM
1. Should I email the big agent to let her know what the publisher said? Would this sway things in my favour at all?

I'd say don't contact them to tell them but mention it when (if) you talk to the big agent. That is a personal guess.

YES. If they are asking for revisions, they are interested in representing you. By accepting their advice, you have made a personal connection with them. It would be rude and unprofessional to not keep them fully appraised of the situation. If they know that you are being courted by other agencies, they may make moves to secure you with them.
If it were me, I wouldn't be specific about who has what and where. I'd act like an estate agent.

Yes. You send them something to the effect of one of the following:

1) Dear Agent, Thank you for requesting my full MS. I attach it with this email. Please be aware the MS is currently out on multiple submission and I have recieved interest from several other agencies. Yours etc

2) Dear Agent, Thank you for requesting my full MS. Since submitting my intial chapters to you, I have received interest from a number of other agencies and am presently considering a number of options. Thankyou for taking the time to read and request further material from me; I will not be seeking representation from your agency at this time. Yours etc

It sounds like you have a fantastic book. My envy is tempered only by the fact you're a Hampshireite (I used to live in Whitchurch, up past Winchester).
Be polite. Be professional. You are in a strong position and if you are getting this kind of response from the industry, you must have a pretty damn good book and should not worry about not getting an agent because you ARE going to get one.
Even if you turn people down now, you can write to them in a month and mention that they were interested in you; are they still?

Best of luck with it,

T

cspradbery
07-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll leave things for now with the latest two, but withdraw should I get an offer next week. With regards to the agent who helped me with revisions, I'm quite tempted to email her and just explain the situation - we have exchanged a few emails over the past few months, but I haven't heard from her since re-submitting seven weeks ago. She said it would take a while to get back to me, so haven't been worried by her silence up to this point. I just really don't want her to drop me now before reading it - especially if the latest agent doesn't end up liking it!

This whole thing feels like the worlds most difficult game of chess!

cspradbery
07-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Ryan, I don't think the publisher actually wanted me to commit to anything at this point. It was more like she was expressing an interest - I got the feeling she knew the agent quite well and would like her to get in contact should I get an offer. I will certainly keep in mind what you said though, thanks.

shaldna
07-22-2010, 03:29 PM
let us know how it goes.

cspradbery
07-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Well, I've emailed the agent who suggested the revisions and told her about the other agent and the publisher. And so the wait begins....

cspradbery
07-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Update - had a phonecall today from the super agent. As promised, she read my MS over the weekend and has asked me to meet her next Monday. (We are away at the moment so this is the earliest date possible for me). I'm not counting my chickens yet but I'm hoping this is a very positive sign.

Also had an email from the original agent. She seemed pleased to be kept in the loop and said she will get around to my MS asap. Oh, also had another request for a full today - but I'm going to hold off on that until after my meeting.

Thanks again guys, you're great. :-)

Carla.

shaldna
07-26-2010, 11:40 PM
exciting stuff. I hope it all goes well

waylander
07-27-2010, 01:51 AM
Update - had a phonecall today from the super agent. As promised, she read my MS over the weekend and has asked me to meet her next Monday. (We are away at the moment so this is the earliest date possible for me). I'm not counting my chickens yet but I'm hoping this is a very positive sign.

Also had an email from the original agent. She seemed pleased to be kept in the loop and said she will get around to my MS asap. Oh, also had another request for a full today - but I'm going to hold off on that until after my meeting.

Thanks again guys, you're great. :-)

Carla.

This is going to end well, I can feel it
It is a very positive sign that they want to meet you.

cspradbery
08-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Further update.

Had a fantastic meeting today with the super agent and am absolutely thrilled to say I have accepted an offer of representation with Curtis Brown.

Thanks for all the advice - I really do appreciate it!

cate townsend
08-03-2010, 01:08 AM
That's great news, Carla! I read your query a while back and knew that it wouldn't be long until you found an agent. Congrats!

waylander
08-03-2010, 02:39 AM
HUGE CONGO RATS!!

Darzian
08-03-2010, 05:10 AM
http://loudenlow.com/lnl/img/congrats.jpg

Preacher'sWife
08-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Wow! Congratulations. I knew you had it when I read your current WIP excerpt in SYW awhile back. You are extremely talented and deserve this. How did you ever get in a situation where you met the CEO of the agency and publisher on the same day? Were you at a writer's conference?

BloodMoon
08-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Awesome news Carla, Congratulations!!!

gideonna
08-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Fantastic news! Wishing you all the best!

Theo81
08-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Woot!

*does small celebratory dance*

I remember your QL. It does not surprise me in the least that you find yourself in this delightful situation. Hugest congratulations to you and best of luck with it all.

cspradbery
08-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Wow! Congratulations. I knew you had it when I read your current WIP excerpt in SYW awhile back. You are extremely talented and deserve this. How did you ever get in a situation where you met the CEO of the agency and publisher on the same day? Were you at a writer's conference?

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I was at a writer's conference. It was organised by a magazine I read and was a "how to get published" event. There was an author, a publisher and the CEO. When the CEO was talking I was sitting there thinking how nice and approachable he seemed so went and had a chat with him at the end. (The free champagne they were serving probably helped a little with the nerves!) It was such a random thing and I never expected anything to come of it. I guess it just goes to show that you can never be too pro-active with stuff like this. The publisher was lovely too - in fact I emailed her this morning to tell her the news and she has just got back to me saying she wants my agent to sub to her and this other editor she knows!

I have a little bit of work to do first - agent is hooking me up with an editor to polish the MS before we submit.

Thanks again for all the encouragement, it really does mean a lot to me.

bluefeline
08-03-2010, 07:07 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! :snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

Preacher'sWife
08-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks everyone!

Yes, I was at a writer's conference. It was organised by a magazine I read and was a "how to get published" event. There was an author, a publisher and the CEO. When the CEO was talking I was sitting there thinking how nice and approachable he seemed so went and had a chat with him at the end. (The free champagne they were serving probably helped a little with the nerves!) It was such a random thing and I never expected anything to come of it. I guess it just goes to show that you can never be too pro-active with stuff like this. The publisher was lovely too - in fact I emailed her this morning to tell her the news and she has just got back to me saying she wants my agent to sub to her and this other editor she knows!

I have a little bit of work to do first - agent is hooking me up with an editor to polish the MS before we submit.

Thanks again for all the encouragement, it really does mean a lot to me.

Having worked in PR for several years, I know how important it is to be pro-active. Our dreams and aspirations won't come true unless we are willing to take that leap. I'm so glad you did it! Well-done, and congratulations again!

Renee Collins
08-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Congrats!! That is so exciting!

incognitopress
08-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Congratulations!! As soon as I read that you were going to meet the agent face-to-face, I knew they were going to offer representation (same thing happened to me). You must be so thrilled! Enjoy the victory :D

Paranormal_Writer
08-04-2010, 01:13 AM
Wow, congratulations! You must have a really great book. :)

emanny86
08-11-2010, 08:59 AM
On Tuesday night I met the CEO to a major league agency and spoke to him about my current agent situation (full MS with agent after revisions, turned down one agent while revising, had further two requests last week), and he ended up giving me his card and asking me to contact his YA agent. I did this yesterday and she responded almost immediately, saying the novel was right up her street, to send in the whole MS right away and she would read it over the weekend with an answer for me next week. She also asked me not to make any decisions about representation in the meantime.

Now, also on Tuesday night I met one of the top people of a very big publishing house who also gave me her card. I emailed her yesterday to thank her for her time and to update her on the contact with the big agent. She responded saying if the big agent took me on, she wants her publishing house to have first refusal on my book.

Now obviously this is hugely exciting (I can't actually eat right now), but I have a few questions.

I am quite aware that I may end up with nothing (please God, no!) so I want to do all I can to secure a contract. On the other hand I don't want to piss anyone off and scare them away.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice.

Carla

how do you meet all these guys?

cspradbery
08-11-2010, 10:30 AM
At a writer's conference.