PDA

View Full Version : Should I kill it?

LOG
07-22-2010, 10:18 AM
On the one hand it just kind of creeps me out.
On the other I seriously doubt it will ever bother me, spiders are generally too intelligent to get close to humans, it's why you usually don't see them.
On the third hand it could be poisonous, slight but possible.
On the fourth its kin may seek venomous retribution if do kill it when they rule the world.
On the fifth it is nesting underneath my Drowtales poster, in which universe spiders are sacred...

dpaterso
07-22-2010, 10:41 AM
If you don't kill it, it will spawn 1,000 evil offspring who will surely trap you in a silk cocoon one night while you're asleep and thereafter drain you of fluid over a period of agonizing weeks until you look like a horrified raisin. Fact.

-Derek

M.R.J. Le Blanc
07-22-2010, 10:42 AM
In my house, spiders get evicted. No ifs, ands or buts. I generally don't kill them unless it's a fair sized sucker and I have nothing to let it crawl onto so I can put it outside. And I hate spiders. So....I say scoop 'em up and drop 'em outside.

Bartholomew
07-22-2010, 10:50 AM
On the one hand it just kind of creeps me out.
On the other I seriously doubt it will ever bother me, spiders are generally too intelligent to get close to humans, it's why you usually don't see them.
On the third hand it could be poisonous, slight but possible.
On the fourth its kin may seek venomous retribution if do kill it when they rule the world.
On the fifth it is nesting underneath my Drowtales poster, in which universe spiders are sacred...

It's summer in my hemisphere, which means fruit flies, mosquitos, and other nasty little pests. I personally worship every spider I see until winter.

I'd suggest a similar, if less drastic, course of action.

LOG
07-22-2010, 10:53 AM
I try to convince other people of how spiders are beneficial, but they either don't care or don't believe me.

I was going to have a poll, but I accidentally lost it, the third option was going to be "Offer it eggplant in sacrifice and hope it spares me."

leahzero
07-22-2010, 11:49 AM

I think you have your answer.

Do you want to wake up tomorrow with eight legs?

http://animewallpapers.lt/albums/FEDOROS_RULES/3D-FANTASYART6/Jason-Engle/Magazines/Drider.jpg

LOG
07-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Actually in the Drowtales universe, Dark elves (or Drow as their descendent's are called) who are transformed go all the way, full spider, except that they're really big and have a giant eye on the top of their heads.
They are completely intelligent, some actually serve as spiritual advisors, most especially among the Val'Kyorl'solenurn clan.
It may not actually be that bad, other than the whole having to get used to a diet of mainly body fluids and having a lot more appendages, and being much lower to the ground...

Cliff Face
07-22-2010, 01:32 PM
You must not be in Australia if there's only a *slim* chance the spider is poisonous...

regdog
07-22-2010, 02:29 PM
If you don't kill it, it will spawn 1,000 evil offspring who will surely trap you in a silk cocoon one night while you're asleep and thereafter drain you of fluid over a period of agonizing weeks until you look like a horrified raisin. Fact.

-Derek

I think I hate you now, Derek.

Komnena
07-22-2010, 03:03 PM
If you kill it, all the flies it would have killed will be in your face. Find an entomology website and make sure it isn't poisonous to people.

LOG
07-22-2010, 09:26 PM
It's gone for now. I'll try and find it again. Biggest problem is that it was rather gloomy lighting at the time so I can't say much about it other than that it was a kind of pale tan color and a bit on the large side. Certainly not a daddy long legs, but it was bigger than most I see around this house.

regdog
07-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Be careful. If it's a brown recluse, those are bad news.

jvc
07-22-2010, 10:26 PM

-Derek
I hate to agree with Derek, but I'd beat the little pest to death with a baseball bat and then move house.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/213294/Man_Killed_by_Pet_Spider_Eaten_by_Creepy_Crawlies

Snowstorm
07-22-2010, 10:31 PM
If you don't kill it, when you're awake at night in bed and you feel something crawl on your face ...

shyne
07-22-2010, 10:35 PM

-Derek

They will in turn fill you with twinkie fluid. Fact

Shakesbear
07-22-2010, 11:01 PM
I don't like spiders but I have no objection to sharing my home with them providing they observe certain rules. They stay away from all bedding and shun my bed room. The do not make webs in my food cupboards. The catch and dispatch flying critters, specifically moths, flies and mozzies. They do not, if they value their lives, catch and dispatch bees. Mostly the spiders seem to accept the rules and acknowledge that if they stick a leg in my bedroom they will find a boot being bounced off their heads. The most is important rule is that they must not scuttle across the sitting room floor after I have imbibed a certain amount of alcohol as this will result in boot bouncing, glass throwing, tarantella being danced on their nasssty bodies and having all eight legs summarily broken. On the whole though I think I am fairly tolerant of spiders.

jvc
07-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Nuke 'em. Nuke 'em all to hell.

Lavern08
07-22-2010, 11:08 PM
I leave 'em alone as long as they're not in my Bedroom, Closet or Bathroom. ;)

If I happen upon them in one in the aforementioned areas, then they are dead meat!!! :evil

Shadow_Ferret
07-22-2010, 11:13 PM
In my house, we take care of spiders. If we find them in our shower, I remove them and put them in a corner somewhere so they don't drown.

If you don't kill it, when you're awake at night in bed and you feel something crawl on your face ...

Probably just thanking you for not killing it. It is said that spider kisses are good luck.

DeleyanLee
07-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Hmmm...they say killing a spider brings rain.

Just a thought.

Shakesbear
07-22-2010, 11:28 PM

Just a thought.

Who 'they' please?

How much rain? If you kill a big bugger does it mean a lot of rain? And an iddy biddy one an iddy biddy shower?

LOG
07-22-2010, 11:29 PM

Just a thought.
I could use some rain, then I don't have to water.

Most spiders, especially brown recluse do their best to stay away from humans (hence the name). You'd have to somehow come into contact with them, they will almost never come close to you.

Be careful. If it's a brown recluse, those are bad news.
Common media says so, science and arachnid experts aint so sure. Most documented brown recluse bites are rather harmless, only a very rare few have a dangerous bite.
The problem is that the brown recluse bite is almost entirely painless, you probably wouldn't even be able to tell you got one until it started to inflame.

I'm not too worried, I live in Minnesota, the last verified brown recluse sighting here was back in 1953.
This is why I prefer cold climates, other than the fact that I simply like the chill, there are very few, almost no venomous species that live in such areas. I swear I'm moving to Alaska one of these days, or getting dual-citizneship with Canada or something, just want to find somewhere where there's a constant chill.

Of course, all this talk about spiders has me feeling phantom bites and touches all over my body >.>

cray
07-22-2010, 11:34 PM
kill it.

Jess Haines
07-22-2010, 11:59 PM

-Derek

QFT

M.R.J. Le Blanc
07-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Slight derail, but if you want to keep fruit flies out (especially out of the kitchen) hang a small sprig of lavendar. They hate the smell and will avoid the room. I keep some in my kitchen every year when I start to notice the little buggers.

Guardian
07-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Rule #1 of spiders:

Once a spider is spotted, it HAS to die. The only thing worse than running into a spider is not being able to kill it, then letting it disappear and not knowing where it is but knowing that it IS there, somewhere. Waiting.

KILL IT!! D:

-Derek

IHATEYOUIHATEYOUIHATEYOURIHATEYOBUTIT'STRUE

jvc
07-23-2010, 12:17 AM
I did hear somewhere that spiders don't like chestnuts, so if you keep them around the spiders will vanish. Not sure if that's true or not though. Anyone test it out for me?

Guardian
07-23-2010, 12:25 AM
I did hear somewhere that spiders don't like chestnuts, so if you keep them around the spiders will vanish. Not sure if that's true or not though. Anyone test it out for me?

Where do you get chestnuts? I'll nail some to my porch. The spiders come out there are night and they are FAT ones. Ughhhruuughhh

leahzero
07-23-2010, 01:40 AM
I hate to agree with Derek, but I'd beat the little pest to death with a baseball bat and then move house.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/213294/Man_Killed_by_Pet_Spider_Eaten_by_Creepy_Crawlies

Holy shit. I'm not sure who I hate more: you for linking this, or me for clicking the link and reading.

No more sleep for me this week!

jvc
07-23-2010, 01:43 AM
You're lucky I didn't find the link that had the picture of the inside of the house ;) :D

jvc
07-23-2010, 01:44 AM
Where do you get chestnuts? I'll nail some to my porch. The spiders come out there are night and they are FAT ones. Ughhhruuughhh
Not sure, I know they sell them around christmas time here, something about roasting on open fires. Not seen any in the shops recently, though.

Guardian
07-23-2010, 02:13 AM
Not sure, I know they sell them around christmas time here, something about roasting on open fires. Not seen any in the shops recently, though.

Well you roast chestnuts at Christmas because Santa Claus is actually a giant spider that likes to nest in your chimney. Children should be glad if Santa doesn't come to lay presents under their skin!

Wicked
07-23-2010, 02:54 AM
Catch it and send it to me. :D

Or, at the very least, get a picture of it and I might be able to tell you what genus it is.

Wicked
07-23-2010, 03:19 AM

A slightly altered version of that utter and complete load of horse shi- I mean, that article, appeared in The Sun in 2007.

I was laughing at the sheer B horror movie stupidity of it until I realized it looks like it's trying to pass its self off as a legitimate article. That's the part that scares me.

Tepelus
07-23-2010, 06:18 AM
I had a girl at work tell me that some chick she knew had a spider lay eggs on or in her cheek or something, and they hatched and hundreds of spiders came crawling out of her face. And the girl had no idea the spider laid the eggs. I gave her the raised brow and said, yeah, right. She swore it really happened.

Guardian
07-23-2010, 06:51 AM
I had a girl at work tell me that some chick she knew had a spider lay eggs on or in her cheek or something, and they hatched and hundreds of spiders came crawling out of her face. And the girl had no idea the spider laid the eggs. I gave her the raised brow and said, yeah, right. She swore it really happened.

That is a well-known urban legend. Well-known to me. If it really happened... I'm not going to be the one to look it up.

poetinahat
07-23-2010, 07:34 AM
It's summer in my hemisphere, which means fruit flies, mosquitos, and other nasty little pests. I personally worship every spider I see until winter.
Seconded. I like spiders; they do good work with the insect-eating, and the webs look beautiful on a dewy morning. We get along great as long as we give each other space. Easy enough. Check your shoes before putting 'em on - no problem!

Killing things for no particular reason makes me feel ugly inside; as long as there's no threat to me or my loved ones, I let spiders be. And I'm not all that keen on tangling with the poisonous ones anyway.

Darzian
07-23-2010, 07:38 AM
I do research with poisonous spiders so I say nay! Let it live.

http://images.neopets.com/evil/grundospider.gif

Yasaibatake
07-23-2010, 07:48 AM

That is almost exactly like a reoccurring nightmare I had as a little kid! Only in my nightmare, the spiders were lead by a giant hairy spider who was easily twice as tall as I was and liked to hide in my shower (because even as a little kid I knew surprise attacks were the way to go!).

However, in real life, I tend to let spiders live. We have a truce - as long as they don't touch me, they get to live. As soon as they crawl on me, though, they have forfeited the right to life. *shudder*

LOG
07-23-2010, 09:19 AM

That ranks among the most BS urban myths ever. It'd be kind of hard not to notice. Almost as bad as the crap about spiders crawling down your throat when you sleep.

I must note however that is is possible to have a spider crawl in your ear, and it would also be very noticeable. Thankfully it's a quick fix, just drip some liquid, I've seen mineral oil or rubbing alcohol advised and wait for it to crawl out. It's there for the warmth and the relative dryness, so cold water may do the trick as well, don't take my word on that though.

Cliff Face
07-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Hmm, that reminds me: I once woke up (as a kid living in the South Australia country town sort of place) with something crawling in my ears. There were heaps of spiders around our house, and some snakes too, but I digress. Anyway, my immediate thought was "Fuck! A spider is in my ear!" I could feel the hairs... yeurgh!

Anyway, so I stick my finger in my ear in a desperate attempt to get the bloody thing out, and I feel it attach itself to my finger. Pull finger away. It's dark in the room - night time. No visibility. But I can feel it on my finger, so the first thing to do is get it away from my head.

The bloody thing bites me! I scream and smoosh it onto my blanket like a good little boy, though I must not have crushed it.

So dad wakes up and comes to find out what's going on, meeting me in the hallway as I'm on my way (virtually in tears) to find my parents. I tell him what happened, and he goes into my bedroom, flicks on the light, and peruses the blanket.

He finds the culprit...

And it's a bee. Not a spider. The bastard crawled in my ear, then stung me when I evicted it (maybe it thought ear-wax was nectar??) ! It was crawling in its death-throes on the bed.

Totally freaked me out. That was the moment I added bees to my list of fears, alongside spiders and snakes.

A few years later, I was in final year of primary school, and running a relay around the oval. I was a decent runner, and I came up with a brilliant plan - make me run last, so I'd be up against the not-so-good runners. I left the gate last, because we had put OUR not-so-good runners ahead in the order, but I wound up overtaking everyone and winning the relay! I was jubilant!

So I'm running through the crowd of snot-nosed little primary-schoolers to get to the finish line, and I'm smiling. Get past the crowd, jog over to the railing (wooden), feel bloody tired, and put my hands on the railing to steady myself.

Bam! Another fucking bee stings me, right on my palm (I'd put my hand on it). So instead of catching my breath and then being the class hero, I got taken to the nurse.

And just the other day, I was waiting at the bus stop, and a bee started buzzing near my face. I literally ran onto the road, not thinking about traffic, just trying to get away from the bee. The bee fucks off somewhere, and I'm left dodging a beeping motorist who doesn't understand why I'm on the road.

Maybe that makes me a coward. Or maybe the bees are going to take over the world some day, riding on the backs of spiders and using snakes as assassins, and I'm just doing the smart thing by being terrified of them... we'll (hopefully) never know...

LOG
07-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Trust me on this; your odds of survival against the bee are much better than against any sort of motor vehicle. Even a lethal sting, which could only come from a hornet, not a bee (unless you've roused the whole hive), will take a few minutes to kill you, most motor vehicles will inflict lethal damage on impact.
Stay on the sidewalk.

Guardian
07-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Cliff's anecdote of his inevitable destiny to die from bees reminds me of another thing which is now relevant, since he mentioned running into traffic like a loony because of the bee.

There was an article I read a while ago... for the love of unicorns don't make me find it because I don't think I could, but I swear this is what I read. It was about a number of car accidents (probably a small number, BUT I digress) that were caused by spiders. In whatever area they were (I believe it was HOT), spiders would hide in the closed sun flaps. The driver wouldn't even know, of course, until he or she was driving and took the flap down to get the sun out of their eyes or what have you. Then - BAM - a big ol spider falls into your lap! I don't know about you but I would be FREAKING THE FLIP OUT! Needless to say, some car accidents happened. I wouldn't be able to blame them! Lucky for you all I don't drive! Yet.

Cliff Face
07-23-2010, 12:13 PM
I've had a spider in the car many times. And on buses.

Try sitting in the passenger seat, crumpled up because you have long legs, and then trying to kill a spider with your shoe while your mum is yelling at you, "It's just a spider!" and not paying attention to the road.

I'm probably destined to die on a road somewhere...

Guardian
07-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Well from your shared history of bee attacks, I'd say they are out to get you. Bees are gracious to let you know early on. Take comfort in the fact that when you die, which may be soon you'll have some forewarning (keep an eye on an increase in bee encounters) you will die covered in bees and your body will be converted into a hive! Yay!

imsleepy
07-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Thank you for that imagery, Guardian. I will now proceed to have nightmares.

Cassiopeia
07-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Just kill the bloody thing and be done with it! :D

LOG
07-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Read my sig. I don't care what falls in your lap, if you think you may lose control of the car get off the road as soon as you can.

Besides that, only seven species of spider in the world have been confirmed to kill humans and/or have lethal venom.
All of them have antivenins developed save for the Sicarius(Latin: murderer/assassin), which lives in deserts and bites are rare, if indeed they do happen (good thing because they likely have the most lethal bite of all spiders, the death rate in animal testing was horrific), of those species a fair number will give dry bites, and others just aren't found near human habitation. The most lethal of all these spiders were the widows, mainly due to their small size they tend to go unnoticed, but even before the antivenin for them was developed the fatality rate was only 5%, now it's negligible.

The one Cliff is worried about is the Sydney Funnel-web spider which lives on the south-east coast of Australia. But those haven't killed anyone since the antivenin was developed.

More on the Sicarius: Very shy, and has almost no aggressive behavior. They live only in the deserts of the southern hemisphere.
Only two supposed cases of humans being bitten by this spider.
There is no known cure for this spider bite, if you are bitten you will die, unless it's feeling very nice and lets you off with a warning. Its venom works like a sulfuric acid, literally eating away at the tissues and internal organs of the victim.

Going to bed now, here come the nightmares of creepy-crawlies. Although this thread has given me another story idea, like I need more of those.

Guardian
07-23-2010, 01:11 PM
According to fear-mongering media, a spider/snake/shark/cougar/bear/fan girl/weasel attack WILL happen to YOU!

Personally I'm hoping for a cougar attack, because I've got one very pretty older lady who has declared me a target. Oh my :D

regdog
07-23-2010, 02:19 PM

I've heard spiders hate lemon juice.

I found 2 spiders in my pantry this morning. Squashed them both to oblivion.

Cliff Face
07-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Well, in South Australia we mostly worry about the Redbacks and the White Tails.

(And sharks with frickin' lasers in our water...)

Tepelus
07-23-2010, 03:41 PM
I almost swallowed a Yellow Jacket once. Had a can of Hawaiian Punch sitting on a table outside, came back into the house with said can, took a drink and felt something extra in my mouth. Spit it out spraying punch all over (red dye is hard to clean out) and found I nearly swallowed the hornet. I freaked out and killed it. They don't taste good, at all!

Komnena
07-23-2010, 07:32 PM
You were lucky it didn't sting you. Spiders may look creepy but stinging flyers are the real creatures of Satan.

LOG
07-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Another reason why I refuse to drink pop.