Should I kill it?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
On the one hand it just kind of creeps me out.
On the other I seriously doubt it will ever bother me, spiders are generally too intelligent to get close to humans, it's why you usually don't see them.
On the third hand it could be poisonous, slight but possible.
On the fourth its kin may seek venomous retribution if do kill it when they rule the world.
On the fifth it is nesting underneath my Drowtales poster, in which universe spiders are sacred...

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
If you don't kill it, it will spawn 1,000 evil offspring who will surely trap you in a silk cocoon one night while you're asleep and thereafter drain you of fluid over a period of agonizing weeks until you look like a horrified raisin. Fact.

-Derek

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
In my house, spiders get evicted. No ifs, ands or buts. I generally don't kill them unless it's a fair sized sucker and I have nothing to let it crawl onto so I can put it outside. And I hate spiders. So....I say scoop 'em up and drop 'em outside.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
On the one hand it just kind of creeps me out.
On the other I seriously doubt it will ever bother me, spiders are generally too intelligent to get close to humans, it's why you usually don't see them.
On the third hand it could be poisonous, slight but possible.
On the fourth its kin may seek venomous retribution if do kill it when they rule the world.
On the fifth it is nesting underneath my Drowtales poster, in which universe spiders are sacred...

It's summer in my hemisphere, which means fruit flies, mosquitos, and other nasty little pests. I personally worship every spider I see until winter.

I'd suggest a similar, if less drastic, course of action.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I try to convince other people of how spiders are beneficial, but they either don't care or don't believe me.

I was going to have a poll, but I accidentally lost it, the third option was going to be "Offer it eggplant in sacrifice and hope it spares me."

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com

I think you have your answer.

Do you want to wake up tomorrow with eight legs?

Drider.jpg

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Actually in the Drowtales universe, Dark elves (or Drow as their descendent's are called) who are transformed go all the way, full spider, except that they're really big and have a giant eye on the top of their heads.
They are completely intelligent, some actually serve as spiritual advisors, most especially among the Val'Kyorl'solenurn clan.
It may not actually be that bad, other than the whole having to get used to a diet of mainly body fluids and having a lot more appendages, and being much lower to the ground...

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't kill it, it will spawn 1,000 evil offspring who will surely trap you in a silk cocoon one night while you're asleep and thereafter drain you of fluid over a period of agonizing weeks until you look like a horrified raisin. Fact.

-Derek

I think I hate you now, Derek.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
If you kill it, all the flies it would have killed will be in your face. Find an entomology website and make sure it isn't poisonous to people.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
It's gone for now. I'll try and find it again. Biggest problem is that it was rather gloomy lighting at the time so I can't say much about it other than that it was a kind of pale tan color and a bit on the large side. Certainly not a daddy long legs, but it was bigger than most I see around this house.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Be careful. If it's a brown recluse, those are bad news.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't kill it, when you're awake at night in bed and you feel something crawl on your face ...

shyne

At your service
Registered
Reaction score

-Derek

They will in turn fill you with twinkie fluid. Fact

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like spiders but I have no objection to sharing my home with them providing they observe certain rules. They stay away from all bedding and shun my bed room. The do not make webs in my food cupboards. The catch and dispatch flying critters, specifically moths, flies and mozzies. They do not, if they value their lives, catch and dispatch bees. Mostly the spiders seem to accept the rules and acknowledge that if they stick a leg in my bedroom they will find a boot being bounced off their heads. The most is important rule is that they must not scuttle across the sitting room floor after I have imbibed a certain amount of alcohol as this will result in boot bouncing, glass throwing, tarantella being danced on their nasssty bodies and having all eight legs summarily broken. On the whole though I think I am fairly tolerant of spiders.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I leave 'em alone as long as they're not in my Bedroom, Closet or Bathroom. ;)

If I happen upon them in one in the aforementioned areas, then they are dead meat!!! :evil

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
In my house, we take care of spiders. If we find them in our shower, I remove them and put them in a corner somewhere so they don't drown.

If you don't kill it, when you're awake at night in bed and you feel something crawl on your face ...

Probably just thanking you for not killing it. It is said that spider kisses are good luck.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...they say killing a spider brings rain.

Just a thought.

Who 'they' please?

How much rain? If you kill a big bugger does it mean a lot of rain? And an iddy biddy one an iddy biddy shower?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...they say killing a spider brings rain.

Just a thought.
I could use some rain, then I don't have to water.

Most spiders, especially brown recluse do their best to stay away from humans (hence the name). You'd have to somehow come into contact with them, they will almost never come close to you.

Be careful. If it's a brown recluse, those are bad news.
Common media says so, science and arachnid experts aint so sure. Most documented brown recluse bites are rather harmless, only a very rare few have a dangerous bite.
The problem is that the brown recluse bite is almost entirely painless, you probably wouldn't even be able to tell you got one until it started to inflame.

I'm not too worried, I live in Minnesota, the last verified brown recluse sighting here was back in 1953.
This is why I prefer cold climates, other than the fact that I simply like the chill, there are very few, almost no venomous species that live in such areas. I swear I'm moving to Alaska one of these days, or getting dual-citizneship with Canada or something, just want to find somewhere where there's a constant chill.

Of course, all this talk about spiders has me feeling phantom bites and touches all over my body >.>

Last edited:

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com

-Derek

QFT

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Slight derail, but if you want to keep fruit flies out (especially out of the kitchen) hang a small sprig of lavendar. They hate the smell and will avoid the room. I keep some in my kitchen every year when I start to notice the little buggers.