PDA

View Full Version : Derogatory names (may offend some) - Mod warning: Strong language/Parental Guidance recommended!

elppirc0
07-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Iím writing a comedy that kind of pits the two genders against each other. Thereís unfortunately many derogatory names for women that we all know because theyíre used so much, so I want to level the playing field.

I need some suggestions for names a woman might call a man. Is there any? If you canít think of any, feel free to make some up. Preferably something funny in a vulgar sort of way.

Verbal
07-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Pinkie dick.
Minute man (in bed)
Swamp Ass
Shit brick

Then, of course, the classics:

Asshole
Loser
Dick
Bore
Jerk-off

Maryn
07-21-2010, 11:46 PM
"Is there any?" You're kidding, right?

There are a lot, but I'm not really at ease posting them here on this board where 13-year-old kids are more than welcome.

How about you contact veinglory or ELMontague for the password for the NC-17 Erotica Discussion section of the Writing Erotica board? Once you have it, re-post your question. There people can share the many sexually derogatory names which a woman might call a man--without incurring the wrath of Mac.

Maryn, who had a small handful leap to mind

Verbal
07-22-2010, 12:57 AM
"Is there any?" You're kidding, right?

There are a lot, but I'm not really at ease posting them here on this board where 13-year-old kids are more than welcome.

How about you contact veinglory or ELMontague for the password for the NC-17 Erotica Discussion section of the Writing Erotica board? Once you have it, re-post your question. There people can share the many sexually derogatory names which a woman might call a man--without incurring the wrath of Mac.

Maryn, who had a small handful leap to mind

Bet the 13 year old kids could teach us ALL some...

elppirc0
07-22-2010, 01:14 AM
And I welcome their suggestions, Maryn.

clockwork
07-22-2010, 02:08 AM
Appropriateness aside, this isn't really a screenwriting question so I'm punting it to Story Research for the time being. It'll then be up to Cath and Shwebb as to whether they're comfortable with the thread there. If not, we can always go ahead with Maryn's perfectly reasonable suggestion.

Wayne K
07-22-2010, 02:23 AM
Mac constantly asks us to dial it down for the kids sake, so if you're looking for slightly vulgar, you're better off in a password protected forum.

In my experience, Maryn's only aspirations here has only ever been to help people become better writers. Your comment is dead off

Cath
07-22-2010, 04:23 AM
Hey guys - I've posted a strong language/ adult guidance warning in the thread title. Language of any kind is a powerful thing, and should be used advisedly, but I trust the folks on this board to use their common sense. Don't let me down - k?

If you're concerned about posting strong language in the thread you could PM your comments to the OP - just remember to preface the PM with a note that you're replying to this thread!

NoGuessing
07-22-2010, 04:29 AM
I learnt most of my favourite insults at 13.

poetinahat
07-22-2010, 04:30 AM
And I welcome their suggestions, Maryn, who has moderator aspirations.
Maryn's been around here longer than most of us, and she's earned our great respect, admiration and love. She'd be a good exemplar for the relatively new poster, particularly when it comes to how one treats others here.

I think Maryn and Wayne have already said what needs to be said.

Layne
07-22-2010, 04:49 AM
I’m writing a comedy that kind of pits the two genders against each other. There’s unfortunately many derogatory names for women that we all know because they’re used so much, so I want to level the playing field.

I need some suggestions for names a woman might call a man. Is there any? If you can’t think of any, feel free to make some up. Preferably something funny in a vulgar sort of way.

I'm nice to my man. My list of insulting names is small. "Shit", "Shithead" and "Ass". Hmm. I see a trend. :D :D
Of course, I may not be the best person to respond in this thread, my insults are almost always said in good nature. :P

If you want people to respond with really cutting vocab, perhaps you should request they PM you. :)

elppirc0
07-22-2010, 05:50 AM
Maryn's been around here longer than most of us, and she's earned our great respect, admiration and love. She'd be a good exemplar for the relatively new poster, particularly when it comes to how one treats others here.
I was poking fun at her quirky, sometimes sarcastic sign off lines, as a way to subtlety tell her, I thought she was being too sensitive. Reading it back now, it didnít really come off that way.

I apologize, Maryn, if you took offense or if I hurt your feelings in any way. It wasnít my intention to disrespect you.

Iím sorry.

Celia Cyanide
07-22-2010, 07:20 AM
What's wrong with douchbag?

mgoblue101415
07-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Some of the more mild ones...

Piece of shit
Scumbag
Dickhead
Pencil dick
Neanderthal
Bastard

I'll PM you some harsher ones.

I guess having a mouth like a truck driver is actually good for something occasionally. :p

MacAllister
07-22-2010, 09:57 PM
(Interestingly enough, and for the sake of those keeping track of AW trivia, Maryn has turned me down flat more times than any other member, when approached about modding.)

Maryn
07-23-2010, 12:47 AM
{Maryn wasn't sure if it was bragging or foolishness to announce that. She thought it wiser to open the wine early.}

Maryn, clueless

benbradley
07-23-2010, 01:47 AM
To the question in the OP, I'm not sure how this would come across with a woman saying it, but when I was 13 the biggest insult to a guy was a five-letter synonym for a kitty cat.

And no doubt Maryn has done The Responsible Thing when it comes to her wine. I'm sure no mod on AW has EVER modded while drinking.

StephanieFox
07-23-2010, 03:43 AM
You can get away with saying anything if you say it in Yiddish.

Mamzer (bastard)
Schmuck (means a mean, bad person but literally means penis.)
Schvantzkop (dickhead)

and hundreds more.

katiemac
07-23-2010, 04:13 AM
In one of my gender classes in college, we did an experiment where the TA drew a line down the middle of the board. On one side, he asked us to write insults directed at men; on the other, insults directed a women. We were not to hold back with language.

When the experiment was over, it was clear that the worst insults to men were those that undercut masculinity and implied feminism; the worst insults to women were always sexual and implied promiscuity.

RobinGBrown
07-23-2010, 09:33 AM
In Engalnd you can use 'wanker' - it means someone, generally a man, who masturbates solely or excessively, thus implying an inability to connect with women

There's also this for the source of all profane expressions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger's_Profanisaurus

http://www.milkinfirst.com/dictionary/profanisaurus.htm

imsleepy
07-23-2010, 11:35 PM
I would recommend going to an extreme feminist website or blog. The kind where they call all men rapists, and you're likely to find some gems in there.

Linda Adams
07-24-2010, 08:05 PM
How about a book? I just saw this one at the bookstore: The Little Red Book of Very Dirty Words (http://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Very-Dirty-Words/dp/1605506524/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279987418&sr=8-1). It lists of all kinds of dirty words and gives definitions for what they mean.

RJK
07-26-2010, 03:41 AM
Hell, just watch a couple of episodes of Two and a half men. You should get a book's worth of insults.