PDA

View Full Version : Call for Submissions :: JMS Books LLC

jmsnyder
07-21-2010, 11:09 PM
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: JMS BOOKS LLC

JMS Books LLC is a new small press catering to fans of queer erotic romance as well as a variety of other genres. We publish in print and electronic formats, and our royalty rates are very competitive ~ among the best in e-publishing. Authors early 50% net royalties on all sales.

We are looking for fresh, new voices in the following fiction genres:

CONTEMPORARY - stories set in modern day without any fantastical or paranormal elements
FANTASY - all subgenres, including urban fantasy, high fantasy, epics, magic, superhero, mythology, fairy tales, legends, etc.
GAY - stories in any subgenre whose focus is a loving relationship between consenting, adult men
HISTORICAL - stories set in any era before Stonewall
HORROR - stories intended to scare, unsettle, or horrify (no vampires, werewolves, or shifters)
HUMOR – stories in any subgenre with humorous elements which are the driving focus of the plot
INTERRACIAL - stories with characters of different races in a relationship
LESBIAN - stories in any subgenre whose focus is a loving relationship between consenting, adult women
MILITARY/WAR – stories in any subgenre with military characters or set during wartime
NON-FICTION - please query
POETRY - please query
SCIENCE FICTION - all subgenres, including futuristic, space opera, time travel, alternate reality/history, utopia or dystopia, etc.
TRANSGENDER - stories in any subgenre whose focus is a loving relationship between consenting, adult characters who identify with the gender other than the one with which they were born, including intersexual, transsexual, transvestite, and gender-queer characters
YOUNG ADULT – stories in any subgenre aimed at readers between the ages of 14-18

For full submission guidelines, please visit our site at http://www.jms-books.com (http://www.jms-books.com/).

ELMontague
07-22-2010, 03:32 AM
Just to clarify, the young adult is light on the erotic? As a rule selling explicit material to the underage is frowned upon.

ELMontague
07-22-2010, 03:34 AM
Answering my own question:

QFT

"What We Don't Accept:

We publish what we like to read. At this point in time, we are not accepting submissions from new authors in the genres of paranormal (including vampires, werewolves, or shifters), western/cowboy, or BDSM.

We also do not accept stories with "gay for you" plot lines, multiple-partner relationships, or which portray GLBT characters or their sexuality negatively.

We aren’t considering heterosexual or bisexual erotica or romance at this time.

We do not publish any stories containing pedophilia, necrophilia, bestiality, incest, rape or nonconsensual sex, extreme fetishes, degradation, snuff, watersports, or scat.

All young adult submissions must not contain any onscreen erotic content. Non-fiction submissions must not contain libelous content or medical advice."

Tom from UK
07-23-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm looking at submitting something to them. (I sent an initial question and I was impressed by the speed and detail of the reply.) I've tried checking the Bewares section and generally searching for info here but the search engine on AW won't accept three letter searches so you can't check "JMS" automatically (unless I'm just being stupid). Is anyone aware of anything I should know and might have missed?

Catadmin
07-23-2010, 03:22 PM
You're not going to find a whole lot on them yet. Read the first line of their post. "JMS Books LLC is a new small press."

I'm not impressed that they seem to have the same stable of writers and that one of the most prolific happens to have the same initials as the company's name. This strikes me as another "I couldn't get people to buy my books so I'll start my own publishing company" situation.

Not that it's necessarily bad, mind you. But I feel more comfortable with presses where the primary product doesn't come from the owner. EDIT: Or where I actually know the owner personally and can vouch for his sincerity.

Tom from UK
07-26-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm not impressed that they seem to have the same stable of writers and that one of the most prolific happens to have the same initials as the company's name. This strikes me as another "I couldn't get people to buy my books so I'll start my own publishing company" situation.
I'm pretty clear that that is what happened - but she seems to have gone on to acquire other authors and make a real go of it. They now publish a few different people and a range of books presented on quite a nice web page and with a clear (though lowly) presence on Amazon. So I'm coming round to the view that they'll be just as good as any independent small press with no marketing budget.

Am I wrong?

Satori1977
07-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Answering my own question:

QFT

"What We Don't Accept:

We publish what we like to read. At this point in time, we are not accepting submissions from new authors in the genres of paranormal (including vampires, werewolves, or shifters), western/cowboy, or BDSM.

We also do not accept stories with "gay for you" plot lines, multiple-partner relationships, or which portray GLBT characters or their sexuality negatively.

We aren’t considering heterosexual or bisexual erotica or romance at this time.

We do not publish any stories containing pedophilia, necrophilia, bestiality, incest, rape or nonconsensual sex, extreme fetishes, degradation, snuff, watersports, or scat.

All young adult submissions must not contain any onscreen erotic content. Non-fiction submissions must not contain libelous content or medical advice."

I am confused how the YA is still considered erotic. Wouldn't it just be romance?

Tom from UK
07-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Looking at their web site, I would say that they publish a lot of romance. I asked if they would be interested in a non-erotic submission and they said to send a query anyway.

CraftyCreations411
07-29-2010, 02:10 AM

Leaves me out. :(

Candy

Catadmin
07-29-2010, 02:22 AM
I'm not even sure I want to ask this, but ...

You mean you can't write something that doesn't involve this sort of stuff? Or was that a joke post?

Bartholomew
07-29-2010, 04:13 AM
Wait, watersports? O.o That... sounds... innocent.

Edit:

Oh, Jesus. Why do I Google things? WHY?

Paul
07-29-2010, 04:15 AM
Wait, watersports? O.o That... sounds... innocent.

Edit:

Oh, Jesus. Why do I Google things? WHY?

:roll:

Tom from UK
09-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Just to say that I have just signed a contract with them. I had lots of questions, which were all answered quickly and professionally. I was very nervous of going with a small unknown quantity but everything so far has reassured me.

It's early days but I thought I should let people know about my experience so far.

Tom from UK
10-05-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure that this is the right place to post but I thought I should let people know about my experience to date with JMS.

I've been very impressed. Ms Snyder edited my work. I've been professionally edited before (by Gower) and JMS was just a vastly superior job. She only made minor changes but there were a fair few of them and they did tighten and improve the prose, as well as picking up areas where the writing was unclear or had careless errors.

I was asked about ideas for the cover and, because I'm writing about a historical figure, I said I'd really like to use a portrait from the National Portrait Gallery. JMS negotiated with the NPG and eased their own budget restrictions to get the picture I wanted. I heard independently from the NPG that JMS managed to communicate their enthusiasm for the project to the point where staff there remembered them.

Yes, they're not Penguin. But, so far, I'm more than happy with my choice.

(I talk about the pros and cons of using a small publisher in the blog I'm writing on this experience: http://thewhiterajah.blogspot.com/)

MumblingSage
10-06-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm not sure that this is the right place to post but I thought I should let people know about my experience to date with JMS.

I've been very impressed. Ms Snyder edited my work. I've been professionally edited before (by Gower) and JMS was just a vastly superior job. She only made minor changes but there were a fair few of them and they did tighten and improve the prose, as well as picking up areas where the writing was unclear or had careless errors.

I was asked about ideas for the cover and, because I'm writing about a historical figure, I said I'd really like to use a portrait from the National Portrait Gallery. JMS negotiated with the NPG and eased their own budget restrictions to get the picture I wanted. I heard independently from the NPG that JMS managed to communicate their enthusiasm for the project to the point where staff there remembered them.

Yes, they're not Penguin. But, so far, I'm more than happy with my choice.

(I talk about the pros and cons of using a small publisher in the blog I'm writing on this experience: http://thewhiterajah.blogspot.com/)

Glad to hear things are going well for you. Maybe a thread on JMS should be opened in Bewares, Reccomendations, & Background Checks?

Catadmin
10-06-2010, 11:27 PM
New thread started here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5395872#post5395872

Tom, do you mind posting there too?

Tom from UK
10-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Done.