My Strange Agent Crush

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
I am not sure where to post it...or even if I want to...I think it might come off as a little pathetic!

I was very proud of my novel...My beta-readers liked it, I had polished it fairly well, and figured it was ready to go out to agents.

I researched one agent and, well, fell in love. Not literally (erm, I think). I googled her and realized she has so much in common with me, as far as the books she represents, her sense of humor, her background, work ethic etc. In fact, she even lives in the same town I do! So at night, I dreamt of her (okay, maybe not).

Figuring it was written in the stars, I sent out one query letter for my novel. Just one. Obviously to her.

She answered back, lightning fast....she wants to see a partial! I of course am thrilled.

Well, here's the problem. Last night I was reading that novel, getting ready to print it out, and suddenly I noticed all these flaws and thinking how bad it was. Now, I have absolutely no confidence in it. And that stinks because I only have one shot with this dream agent. Blech.

How did that happen? How do I know it's really the best it can be and ready to go out? Does anyone else get this immobilizing fear just prior to sealing up the envelope and sending it out?

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
Yep! Make sure the material you are sending is flawless, and then work on the rest of it while you wait for her response on the partial.

I had a dream agent too. Something about what he wrote on his web site struck a chord with me, and I just "knew" he was the one. <ahem> Well, for me it didn't work out. He was, after all, Russell Galen. But maybe one day...

:ROFL:

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
How bad are the flaws, anyway? Are these things like misspellings, major plot holes, or bad grammar? Or is it just a case of feeling your work sucks?

You might want to take a peek at Teresa Neilsen Hayden's "Varieties of Insanity Known to Affect Authors." Just about every author seems to have a tendancy to panic at times and think their work is bad. You are not alone if you've been siezed with a thought like this:

Oh my god, this manuscript is awful. Why didn’t I see that before I told them it was finished? What could I have been thinking? I can’t show this to anyone. If I let them read it, they’ll never respect me again. Nobody will. I’ll have to change my name and move to Lubbock to live in a trailer and work in a hardware store and never, never, never tell anyone ever again that I’ve had anything to do with writing or publishing.

You just need to make sure whether this thought is really justified. It may just be a case of literary stage fright and the manuscript isn't as bad as you are worried about.

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys!

That makes me feel better. The work is...most definitely...flawless because I've proofed it so much it runs thru my head as I sleep. This 837th time I read it, though, I got the feeling it's not as funny or interesting as it used to be.

I think your suggestion is a good one, bikergirl. I will probably read over the partial and give it to my beta-readers one more time to make sure I caught everything....then worry about the rest. It's ONLY 3 measly chapters, right?

And Matt, that was my fear EXACTLY! It's great to know that other writers feel that way, too.

Crossing my fingers and sending it out (soon)...

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Good luck, brainstains. I know the feeling exactly. My dream agent liked the partial and asked for the full. I promised to send it the next day but had a look at it and almost pulled out my hair! Now it's two days and I still haven't sent it...