PDA

View Full Version : What do You Like to Do Besides Write?

Susan Littlefield
07-21-2010, 06:07 AM
Right now, I'm on my way to take a Zumba class at the gym. I've never taken this class before, but I'm guessing it will be fun. I needed a nice little break in my 15 miles per week running schedule.

I love to read, read, read!! Anything I can get my hands on.

Knitting is fun too.

I'm also into watching the original version of Dark Shadows via Netflix. Almost through the series, though.

I would love to know what you guys like to do on you "off-writing" time. Please share.

robeiae
07-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Play Chess.

Screw.

Generally, I end up doing a great deal more of the former.

MissMacchiato
07-21-2010, 06:16 AM
Another vote for knitting. I like listening to audio books, watching trashy rom-com movies, reading, walking... I enjoy skiing too, or perhaps more accurately, running around in the snow, making snow angels, and drinking vast amounts of spiked hot chocolate :D

Guardian
07-21-2010, 06:39 AM
I play games, watch TV, sing to my dog, eat, browse LJ for internet drama, play more games, sing to my dog, listen to music, watch Doctor Who, do my velociraptor dance, say, "UUUNNNNIIIIIICORRRNN!!" no less than 6x, go on AW chat, sing to my dogglepuff, check for spiders, scream because there is a spider, complain because there is no food, drink lots of tea, draw pictures of unicorns, go on Twitter, say "I love my dog" at least 12x, realize at about 11pm that it's late and I should go to bed but I wasted my day and I need to write, go to bed at about 2am, get on my laptop and write while on AW chat, finally get off because I'm super tired, shut everything off and play with my itouch for a while, do 3 rounds of impossible sudoku, quiz myself on French, find a spider and now I can't sleep, grab my laptop again and try to do something to distract myself, listen to the annoying birds at 4am, finally pass out from exhaustion, wake up at 2pm feeling like a loser

Imbroglio
07-21-2010, 06:41 AM
Umm... eat. =\

L.J.
07-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Ban people, then tell myself I'm going to quit for good this time, then five minutes later come back and do it again.

Guardian
07-21-2010, 06:47 AM
bans Liza for... wait this is the wrong thread. Why are you confusing me?

L.J.
07-21-2010, 06:51 AM
bans Guardian for being confused....oops

L.J.
07-21-2010, 06:55 AM
I used to like to take road trips, but poverty kinda put a crimp in that. I like to walk. I love to travel down dirt roads and see old, abandoned houses.

I don't care for much tv, but I have recently started watching Criminal Minds.

EFCollins
07-21-2010, 07:10 AM
I read a lot, play guitar a lot. I sing sometimes, but only if it's just me or me and the kids. I do lots of crafts and I love to cook and try new recipes. I exercise (it's addicting, I swear) and love roaming through the woods around my house. And I like to break shit. It's a habit I picked up while working as a dish washer at a franchise restaurant. Nothing quite as big a stress reliever as busting a dinner plate against a wall to vent frustrations. I even buy little cheap plates from the dollar store specifically for that purpose, if the need arises. It's great fun and gets rid of a lot of stress.

I use the broken plate bits in tile crafts, so it all works out. No wasted money, see? :)

Duchessmary
07-21-2010, 07:13 AM
I like to cross stitch, but my next project is knocking my socks off! EEEK. It's huge, with 10,000 details. I love to read, but my problem is that I read so fast that I'm twiddling my thumbs way too soon. Cooking is fun when I'm not too tired.

spamwarrior
07-21-2010, 07:15 AM
I read a lot of fantasy, or browse blogs.

thothguard51
07-21-2010, 07:15 AM
When not writing or reading, I love to fish. Sometimes just by myself, but mostly with the kids or other friends. It is always relaxing, even when I get skunked...

Susan Littlefield
07-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Play Chess.

Screw.

Generally, I end up doing a great deal more of the former.

Oh dear, there is always one in the crowd!!

I think I played chess once when I was a kid. Checkers is more my style!

Oh, I forgot, the family game since I was a kid is Yahtzee. My 94 year old grandfather told me a few months ago that he used to like playing Yahtzee but doesn't like it anymore.

And, Zumba tonight- my gosh was that fun!

Susan Littlefield
07-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Another vote for knitting. I like listening to audio books, watching trashy rom-com movies, reading, walking... I enjoy skiing too, or perhaps more accurately, running around in the snow, making snow angels, and drinking vast amounts of spiked hot chocolate :D

I LOVE to knit!! Back in the 70's when I was in junior high and high school, I knitted all my sweater. Well, about a year or two ago, I picked it back up after about 25 some odd years of not picking up a knitting needle. However, I still have the knitting needles my neighbor gave me (who taught me how to knit) when I was 13.

Susan Littlefield
07-21-2010, 08:04 AM
It sounds like we have all have a lot in common.

Inky
07-21-2010, 08:17 AM
There are other things to do besides writing?

MICHAEL!!

jennontheisland
07-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Do yoga. Bake cookies. Chat online naked.

Inky
07-21-2010, 08:20 AM
*sets up webcam*
:evil

MissMacchiato
07-21-2010, 08:21 AM
I LOVE to knit!! Back in the 70's when I was in junior high and high school, I knitted all my sweater. Well, about a year or two ago, I picked it back up after about 25 some odd years of not picking up a knitting needle. However, I still have the knitting needles my neighbor gave me (who taught me how to knit) when I was 13.

if you're not already a member, you should check out www.ravelry.com.

It's awesome, especially for patterns!

jennontheisland
07-21-2010, 08:22 AM
*sets up webcam*
Oh, are you naked too?

Inky
07-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Oh, are you naked too?
No, freak, I'm aiming ta' steal your baking recipies!:ROFL:

jennontheisland
07-21-2010, 08:25 AM
No, freak, I'm aiming ta' steal your baking recipies!:ROFL:
Not a chance lady. And here I was, all ready to add you to my skype contacts...

Inky
07-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Not a chance lady. And here I was, all ready to add you to my skype contacts...
you'd only hurt yourself wading through my cleavage...camera never fits.

Wicked
07-21-2010, 08:31 AM
"I collect spores, molds, and fungus."

Oh, wait . . . this isn't the movie quote thread. Hmm.
In that case, I collect bugs. Spiders mostly. Though I would like to try my hand at raising slime mold.

I like to do crafts with my kids.
Take care of my critters.
Draw.
I do a monthly cartoon for a small online zine.
Play in the snow.
Hike.
Fishing.
Horse back riding.
Occasionally paint.
Very occasionally cross stitch.
Camping.
Rock hunting.
Fossil hunting.
Roller skate.
Snow mobile.
Collect dragons.
Fuss over my trees and try to get them to grow in this forsaken wasteland.
Recently I've discovered that chickens and ducks can be trained to come when you call them, especially if I have a handful of grasshoppers that were chomping on my roses.

I'm sure there's more, but that is all that comes to mind at the moment.

Wayne K
07-21-2010, 08:36 AM
I like looking at nekid people........that's all

Susan Littlefield
07-21-2010, 09:02 AM
:roll:You all are cracking me up!!

Susan Littlefield
07-21-2010, 09:03 AM
if you're not already a member, you should check out www.ravelry.com (http://www.ravelry.com).

It's awesome, especially for patterns!

Thank you! I'll have to look into that.

SarahWesten
07-21-2010, 09:06 AM
I like to dance, sing and play my cello when I'm not writing.

Susan Littlefield
07-21-2010, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE]EFCollins I read a lot, play guitar a lot. I sing sometimes, but only if it's just me or me and the kids.

Sarah and EF:

I love listening to music. My sweetheart is a professional musician who plays guitar, mandolin, fiddle, sings, and it's always heaven to my ears.

Flex
07-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Work and hate my life. Mostly at the same time.

Xelebes
07-21-2010, 09:59 AM
I moderate forums. If not, I'm posting on them. Sometimes I'll do some music production, making techno tracks.

kayleamay
07-21-2010, 10:46 AM
I cook. Sometimes it's even edible. I love grilled things, but will use that large appliance thing in my kitchen when I have to.

Oh, I'm pretty good at cards too.

jilly61
07-21-2010, 01:22 PM
I like to go to the gym and go hill walking.
When I'm feeling less energetic, I read or knit.

jilly61
07-21-2010, 01:24 PM
And, Zumba tonight- my gosh was that fun!

What is Zumba?

robeiae
07-21-2010, 04:05 PM

*sets up webcam*

Oh, are you naked too?
Hmmm.

Business is picking up.

jilly61
07-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Can you do Zumba naked?

aadams73
07-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Let's see.... When I'm not writing or reading (which is my default activity), I'm out riding my horse (okay, he's not mine, but he may as well be), climbing, chilling with my friends, exploring (usually with my dog in tow), running, cooking (I love cooking for people) or taking a nap.

Oh, and I love video/computer games. :D

Lavern08
07-21-2010, 05:42 PM
I also enjoy :

Baking Pies
Singing in Church
Shopping (except for groceries - I absolutely hate grocery shopping) *

*Not necessarily in that order ;)

Susan Littlefield
07-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Work and hate my life. Mostly at the same time.

Aw. That's too bad.

Susan Littlefield
07-21-2010, 05:51 PM
What is Zumba?

It's an aerobics class - salsa and other kind of dance.

jilly61
07-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks, Susan. It sounds fun.

sheadakota
07-21-2010, 06:14 PM
when I'm not writing?
I take karate
ride/train horses
swim
draw
try to keep up with my kids
pretend I know how to play my guitar.

Susan Littlefield
07-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks, Susan. It sounds fun.

Jilly, it IS so much fun! The class was full with both men and woman, younger and older. The instructor is a young man in his 20's and kept saying, "Shake it like you mean it!" We were cracking up....and shaking it like we meant it.

Susan Littlefield
07-21-2010, 06:23 PM
One thing I forgot to add to my list is a project I have been meaning to get to. My grandmother passed away four years ago and, me being the writer in the family (I have an aunt who is a writer, but she lives far away), was given Grandma's writing. I have a few binders to go through and organize. I have been officially titled the Archivist of Grandma's Writings.

Chris P
07-21-2010, 06:25 PM
I occasionally DJ on an internet radio station/chat board. The most listeners I've ever had at one time is about 8, so we're not setting the world on fire and that's just fine with us. Once a week I'll play an hour of Jack Benny radio programs (currently at the beginning of 1938) and sometimes I'll do a few hours of music too.

Susan: That is awesome! My Gramma had thousands of pictures, some of them dating back to the 1870s in the old country, she knew exactly who everyone was, what they did, and had at least one story for each person. What we wouldn't give to have her back for a day to record all this. Sadly, they're just pics of old people to us now.

Gretad08
07-21-2010, 10:35 PM
One thing I forgot to add to my list is a project I have been meaning to get to. My grandmother passed away four years ago and, me being the writer in the family (I have an aunt who is a writer, but she lives far away), was given Grandma's writing. I have a few binders to go through and organize. I have been officially titled the Archivist of Grandma's Writings.

My Dad passed last Christmas and while he wasn't a writer he was the best storyteller I've ever met. I'm going to try to write out some of his stories as a gift to my brother.There's a large age gap and he's only 11. My sis and other brother can hopefully help me. I know I won't be able to capture his humor completely but I'd love to try. The little guy definitely needs to have some of these memories.

Susan Littlefield
07-22-2010, 06:18 AM
I occasionally DJ on an internet radio station/chat board. The most listeners I've ever had at one time is about 8, so we're not setting the world on fire and that's just fine with us. Once a week I'll play an hour of Jack Benny radio programs (currently at the beginning of 1938) and sometimes I'll do a few hours of music too.

Susan: That is awesome! My Gramma had thousands of pictures, some of them dating back to the 1870s in the old country, she knew exactly who everyone was, what they did, and had at least one story for each person. What we wouldn't give to have her back for a day to record all this. Sadly, they're just pics of old people to us now.

How fun to run an internet radio station/chat board!! If those 8 listeners told 8 people, and those 8 people told 8 more, you might have more listeners-- if this is what you want, of course.

I bet those old photos told their own stories!

Susan Littlefield
07-22-2010, 06:20 AM
My Dad passed last Christmas and while he wasn't a writer he was the best storyteller I've ever met. I'm going to try to write out some of his stories as a gift to my brother.There's a large age gap and he's only 11. My sis and other brother can hopefully help me. I know I won't be able to capture his humor completely but I'd love to try. The little guy definitely needs to have some of these memories.

My aunt created two books of family history stories- one from Grandpa and one from Grandma. Most everyone in the family has copies. I have the two originals. I feel truly blessed.

Your a writer, Greta- I am sure you will do a wonderful job writing down your dad's stories.

kaitiepaige17
07-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Read people's posts on AW and laugh silently to myself.

Bitch and moan. Eat.

Bitch and moan some more.

Engage in illegal behavior.

Susan Littlefield
07-22-2010, 06:21 AM
To everyone, I am really enjoying reading all of your responses!

Tepelus
07-22-2010, 06:42 AM
I like gardening. Not vegetable, but ornamental, in particular daylilies and hostas. I collect both, but can't tell you how many kinds I have right now. I know it's well over a hundred different cultivars of both. I also make different crosses with my daylilies and grow the seeds. I just started crossing two years ago. Someday I hope to find out of my crosses, daylily seedlings special enough to be registered with the AHS with their own special names. And make a little jingle off of them too. I like to collect seeds from my other perennials and grow or trade/share with others, and start new plants from cuttings and such. I just bought a Summersweet 'Ruby Spice' shrub that has the most delicious smelling flowers, just as strong as lilacs, but a tough call as to which smells nicer. And a butterfly bush called 'Evil Ways', gold foliage with deep purple flowers, seedling of the butterfly bush 'Santana', which I'll have to get too. lol! I'm a gardener, but more so a plant collector. I love them!

Inky
07-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Hmmm.

Business is picking up.
Yeah, but I've noticed a bit of hail damage. Can you pimp my ride? :sarcasm

Shadow_Ferret
07-23-2010, 06:05 PM
I like to do everything besides writing.

Susan Littlefield
07-23-2010, 06:22 PM
I like to do everything besides writing.

Everything as in... you would rather do anything else than write?

NoGuessing
07-23-2010, 06:22 PM
read
listen to music
ride my horse
Doctor Who
think
learn about geography/geology/space
drive around at night
eat chocolate
watch sports
post on forums
talk about things until 5am (the human mind works in ****ed up ways at 5am)

Probably loads more things.

Shadow_Ferret
07-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Everything as in... you would rather do anything else than write?

At this point, yes.