Diagnosing Anemia without electricity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
That was the challenge presented to a pair of undergrad students to help poverty stricken countries.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/heal...e-a-cheap-ingenious-health-care-tool-2019637/

In a solution short on cost but long on ingenuity, the duo modified a basic, everyday salad spinner into an easy to use and transport centrifuge that successfully separates blood to allow diagnosis of anemia with no electricity. The device costs about $30, can process 30 individual 15 microliter blood samples at a time, and can separate blood into its component red cells and plasma in about 20 minutes.

"Sally Centrifuge," as the innovation has been dubbed by its creators, is undergoing a series of field tests this summer in places that will benefit from the availability of effective but low-tech solutions and adaptations. As part of Rice University's Beyond Traditional Borders (BTB), a global health initiative focused primarily on developing countries, Kerr and Theis are traveling along with their device to Ecuador, Swaziland and Malawi, where rural clinics will provide real-world testing of the surprising diagnostic tool.

I hope it helps a lot of people.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
That is very very cool. So much medical advancement is in the high tech, controlled environment, difficult condition areas. It's really good to see this innovation create much broader access to a basic medical service that we take for granted.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
That is very very cool. So much medical advancement is in the high tech, controlled environment, difficult condition areas. It's really good to see this innovation create much broader access to a basic medical service that we take for granted.

Absolutely and the complications they described in the article that these places currently place where the blood has to be shipped far away to labs for expensive tests and the wait time often equalled death. It's great to see simple innovative steps to taking what we know and simplifying it and applying it for the greater good of mankind. I love it.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me of that thread I posted a while back, with chemical and toxin detectors that were being made as cheap and energy efficient as possible. One of them was made of paper, I think...

Either way, totally awesome stuff, Ice :D

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me of that thread I posted a while back, with chemical and toxin detectors that were being made as cheap and energy efficient as possible. One of them was made of paper, I think...

Either way, totally awesome stuff, Ice :D

Agreed, that one was mind blowing as well. Advancements like these are part of what the future depends on imo.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember the chemical solution anymore but the blood bank used to (early 80's) simply drop a drop of your blood into the jar and count how long it took the drop to sink. There was something in it to keep the blood in a glob so it wouldn't disperse. The more iron (and therefore the more hemoglobin) the faster the drop sank...no electricity or moving parts.

Last edited:

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Low tech is far too easy to forget. Pishaw! :D I do think we make things far too complicated and I wish more energy would be spent on the simple low cost solutions. I'm always so happy to see things like these happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.