PDA

View Full Version : FAQ: How to Edit the Title of A Thread You Started

Medievalist
07-21-2010, 01:53 AM
1. Find a thread YOU created.
2. Go to the first post of yours in the thread YOU created.
3. Click Edit.
4. Click Go Advanced
5. Edit the Title field in that initial post.
5. Click Save Changes

Do Not Go to the Bottom of the Thread and Click THAT Go Advanced.

BTW: The Thread title changes are logged.

The ability to edit your own thread titles expires after a preset time. You can ask a Mod for help after that.

littlebear91
07-24-2010, 04:13 AM
Interesting, would that have any effect on the database entry? as it would be duplicated or backedup somehow?

MacAllister
07-24-2010, 04:22 AM
Not in any way that members need to be concerned about.

Bartholomew
07-24-2010, 04:35 AM
Psh. I have frequently looked at the size, layout, and structure of this forum and thanked the various pantheons that I am not responsible for the technical end.

Remember this (http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/007577.html)? I was not jealous of you and Medievalist that night.

Margarita Skies
02-02-2011, 11:57 PM
This helped me out a lot!! Thanks!! I wanted to change the title of a thread I started like three weeks ago, didn't know how to and someone else had to do it for me. Felt so embarrassed!!

soccerloves101
06-11-2011, 03:42 AM
This helped, i wanted to know too

Wilde_at_heart
01-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Excellent. Now I don't have to bother a mod...

Ironhorse
03-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Thank you! I appreciate these little bits of help. I need them!

ScottJohnson
01-30-2014, 01:07 AM
This is all really helpful. Thanks.

>compass<
02-18-2014, 06:23 AM
Potentially silly question: is there a set number of times a thread title can be edited? Also, does the ability to edit a thread title on one's own in QLH also expire after only a week?

I'm asking because I've had a tough time editing my thread title in QLH the last couple of times and had to ask a mod to do it for me, but in the past I could go weeks between title edits and have no problem.

Medievalist
02-18-2014, 08:33 PM
Potentially silly question: is there a set number of times a thread title can be edited? Also, does the ability to edit a thread title on one's own in QLH also expire after only a week?

I'm asking because I've had a tough time editing my thread title in QLH the last couple of times and had to ask a mod to do it for me, but in the past I could go weeks between title edits and have no problem.

Yes, there's a time limit now because of the actions of trolls re-cursively editing thread titles.

Ask a mod of a particular forum, any Supermod, Mac or AW Admin and we'll help.

>compass<
02-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Yes, there's a time limit now because of the actions of issues with trolls.

Ask a mod of a particular forum, any Supermod, Mac or me and we'll help.

I just tried to edit my thread title to keep it all active-like (a lovely mod updated it for me some time in the last couple of days) but my edit to the title didn't go through. Am I now locked out from editing my own thread? Is there a way around that, or am I just going to have to keep bugging a mod (which I really don't want to do)?

jvc
02-20-2014, 05:33 PM
I just tried to edit my thread title to keep it all active-like (a lovely mod updated it for me some time in the last couple of days) but my edit to the title didn't go through. Am I now locked out from editing my own thread? Is there a way around that, or am I just going to have to keep bugging a mod (which I really don't want to do)?

It is never a problem asking a mod to do something, whether it be changing a title or moving a thread to another forum, or post to a different thread. We are all very happy to render any and all assistance, and it's never a bother. So don't ever be worried you're bothering a mod when you ask for help. And changing a thread title is probably the easiest thing for a mod to do. Takes but a few seconds.

>compass<
02-23-2014, 12:27 PM
It is never a problem asking a mod to do something, whether it be changing a title or moving a thread to another forum, or post to a different thread. We are all very happy to render any and all assistance, and it's never a bother. So don't ever be worried you're bothering a mod when you ask for help. And changing a thread title is probably the easiest thing for a mod to do. Takes but a few seconds.

Okiedoke, thanks a bunch! That's a load off my mind :)

vagough
03-26-2014, 05:26 AM
Hmmm…. I'm trying to change the title of the thread to show that we have a new meeting invite in post #141, but the title at the tip-top of the page (the one that shows up in the main listing) still doesn't change, even though I've followed the instructions.

Here's the thread:
https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269271

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Medievalist
03-26-2014, 05:32 AM
You changed the thread title successfully, but your browser was looking at the pre-change cached version; refresh your browser

vagough
03-26-2014, 02:14 PM
I tried last night and again this morning, but the old version still shows up. I'll work on it again after I get home from work this afternoon.

Thank you!

ETA: It's odd. When I got my daily digest of postings this morning in e-mail, the old thread title was still there, too. Hmmm….

Medievalist
03-26-2014, 10:34 PM
I tried last night and again this morning, but the old version still shows up. I'll work on it again after I get home from work this afternoon.

I'm assuming that this is what you want based on your previous post:

Any Virginians here?// Monthly lunches (cf post 141!)

If this isn't what you want, please PM me with what you do want.

vagough
03-27-2014, 02:34 PM
It is -- thank you very much, Med! :)