I wanna know your nifties

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
Every one has them. Those nifty little phrases we use in normal everyday speaking.

Stephen King (stifle the groans, please LOL) wrote a novel a few years back called Lisey's Story. Like many of his works, you either loved it or hated it. Me, I loved it.

A big theme throughout the story is what the MC's dead husband called "catches from the word pool". I loved this aspect of the book because it just hit on so many levels. The MC, Lisey, talks constantly about her husband's special phrases or words (words of power, as he called them) and those her father used.

It's something we all have, which is what made that aspect of the book so easy to relate to.

What have you "caught" in your word net recently? Or not so recently even?

My catches:

Skeezer - used often in reference to a female whom is "not suitable to take home to Mom"... like a one night stand deal. A slut, a whore, a fling-thing.

Horse feathers - my father's replacement word for bullshit.

Nutshell it - meaning can we skip all the details please and just get to the freaking point already?!?

So? What have you caught?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent thread idea! :D

Only now that you've brought it up, not a single one of my "nifties" springs to mind. However, I'm a terrible mimic. If I'm around people who use certain slang or expressions, they'll start falling out of my mouth in no time.

Oh, I just thought of one: tump. As in, "The truck tumped over." It's a combination of tip and dump. I believe it comes from around Oklahoma way. It's a dead useful word, really.

megoblocks

Banned
Reaction score
My all time favorite is pants.

"This is pants."

As in, this is crappy, like the pants of a bum.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've picked up a lot of Brit-isms from my online chat activities. Things I like are now "ace," things I don't like are "naff," and I've "sussed" the answers to many questions.

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
Hey, I use craptastic too! Happy crappy is another one.

I'm full of them. (No, not it. I mean phrases, people.)

I like Tump aa. One I've never heard of before. As is the "pants" one.

Oddly enough, I picked up "farkin" from scarletpeaches on here LOL.

Shat is another one that people think is just a made up word (around here anyhow). You wouldn't believe how many people have no idea that shat is an actual word around my neck o' the woods. *shakes head* That's a bit sad.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
i've nothing but nifties - too precious to share, but I'll offer an old on

psychoslut

(used towards a bloke, not a girl btw.)

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
i've nothing but nifties - too precious to share, but I'll offer an old on

psychoslut
I met one of those once. She said she wanted to screw my brains out, then brandished a Phillips-head and tried to shove it inside my ear. That gal sure was kinky.

I saw one the other day from a newer member who called himself "a nooblet." Thought that was kinda funny and wouldn't be surprised if it catches on here.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I met one of those once. She said she wanted to screw my brains out, then brandished a Phillips-head and tried to shove it inside my ear. That gal sure was kinky.

em, well that'd be mostly just, em, psycho.

a psychoslut, is either a guy who thinks of nothing but sex (hound-dog in US) or sometimes a girl who flirts with you all night, then leaves with your best friend. (That actually happened to a, em, friend, of mine...)

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com

I saw one the other day from a newer member who called himself "a nooblet." Thought that was kinda funny and wouldn't be surprised if it catches on here.

You know, she needn't have used the whole screwdriver. It only takes an inch and a half (thereabouts) to cause severe pain/whining from the dude.

... What?

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
*evil eye* I had to know for a story, y'all. Sheesh.

;) Sorry SK, but I just HAD to. (It really is true though. The human ear drum is only approximately one and a quarter to one and a half inches inside the ear. So, it wouldn't take much of a Phillipshead to cause a dude to scream like a bitch. Oddly enough, the story I used the screwdriver in ear scene in is awesome. If I can just finish the damned novel...)

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
*evil eye* I had to know for a story, y'all. Sheesh.

for sure.

;) Sorry SK, but I just HAD to. (It really is true though. The human ear drum is only approximately one and a quarter to one and a half inches inside the ear. So, it wouldn't take much of a Phillipshead to cause a dude to scream like a bitch. Oddly enough, the story I used the screwdriver in ear scene in is awesome. If I can just finish the damned novel...)

so, em how's single life treating you?

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Hehe. I haven't been single since I was 15.

But my husband DID actually move to another state and I only see him on weekends. I have no idea why other than that's where his job is. It couldn't possibly be me...

No. Not at all. Impossible, I say!

'course not.

just keep repeating that phrase to yourself.

:D

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
;) Sorry SK, but I just HAD to. (It really is true though. The human ear drum is only approximately one and a quarter to one and a half inches inside the ear...
Know what I did to my older brother when I was a kid? He was cleaning his ear with a toothpick that had a piece of toilet tissue on the end as a swab. I smacked his hand, and the toothpick pierced his eardrum. He immediately fell over, screaming and puking all over the place and acting like a deranged person.

You can't imagine how much trouble I got into for that stunt. It's amazing I survived to talk about it here....

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
One of my mum's favorite phrases (and pastimes) is "bogging off." It means disappearing into the bathroom for hours with a good book. Poor woman had too many children and too little privacy.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My partner and I always say "RST alert" when we are skiing, if there is someone wearing a hideous one-piece ski suit that we would like to laugh at. It stands for Romper-Suited Tosser, which is a hilarious website cataloging adults wearing said ugly outfits. We teach ski lessons, so it's better to say "RST!" than "Look at that fugly-ass ski suit!" in front of them. No offense to any actual RSTs who may be reading this. It's just that your appearance is a source of great hilarity to us.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rainbow Poo: Gross optimism in the face of reality. "My child's three heads are huge blessing because he has three times as many smiles to go around!"

Wackadoo
: One who spreads a lot of rainbow poo.

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
@Silver King: Oooh. I'm sorry, but that is frigging brilliant SK. Haha! The child version of me would be proud. I was meanass as a kid.

I used to get royally teed cause my much older brother had a ten o'clock bed time and I still had to go to bed at eight-thirty. So at 9:30, I'd go to the toilet and on my way back to bed, I'd scratch his back all to shit. See, pre-bed time, I threw table salt in his bed. I did this about once or twice a week.

It pays being the youngest. :D

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
One of my mum's favorite phrases (and pastimes) is "bogging off." It means disappearing into the bathroom for hours with a good book. Poor woman had too many children and too little privacy.

Oh! I might have to appropriate that pastime. My kids have been driving me batty.

:ROFL @ Rainbow Poo.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I used to get royally teed cause my much older brother had a ten o'clock bed time and I still had to go to bed at eight-thirty. So at 9:30, I'd go to the toilet and on my way back to bed, I'd scratch his back all to shit. See, pre-bed time, I threw table salt in his bed. I did this about once or twice a week.

It pays being the youngest. :D

:ROFL:

I was the responsible eldest child. So while you were doing mean (hilarious) things to your brother, I was jumping off the roof with a sheet tied around my shoulders to see if I could fly. It's pure luck that I didn't break every bone in my body. :D

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Tanning-bed Vampire: Someone who spends too much time in a tanning-bed or with fake 'n bake.