How long to wait for response on a full ms?

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
This may have been addressed elsewhere, so please direct me to another thread if it has been (I couldn't find any using the search).

I sent out a full manuscript to an agent about 7 weeks ago. Should I give her a little more time before sending a gentle, polite, and inquisitve note asking about the status of my ms? Or would it be okay to send it now?

I know how thick slushpiles are and how busy agents are, having worked very briefly at a small one . . . so I don't want to push her! Plus, I don't want to seem, well, pushy. 93k is a lot to read when there's so much other stuff to be done.

Thanks!

kaitlin008

Seeing newness all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kaitlinward.blogspot.com
It depends--does she have a blog/website/twitter where she's said to nudge after x amount of time? If so, go by that. If not, three months is usually standard.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This may have been addressed elsewhere, so please direct me to another thread if it has been (I couldn't find any using the search).

I sent out a full manuscript to an agent about 7 weeks ago. Should I give her a little more time before sending a gentle, polite, and inquisitve note asking about the status of my ms? Or would it be okay to send it now?

I know how thick slushpiles are and how busy agents are, having worked very briefly at a small one . . . so I don't want to push her! Plus, I don't want to seem, well, pushy. 93k is a lot to read when there's so much other stuff to be done.

Thanks!

ETA: Oops, crossposted with Kaitlin008's response. ;)

There are a lot of threads on the topic - it comes up often ;)

General wisdoms appears to be the agent's stated response time plus 2 weeks, or, if the agent doesn't have any stated response time on fulls, then give the agent 3 months before nudging.

~suki

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Has the agent confirmed receipt of the manuscript?

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Has the agent confirmed receipt of the manuscript?

Check this first, and follow the advice of the others above. Also, it can take up to a year for an agent to respond to a full - two agents had mine for a year before I heard back. Start on your next project. Good luck.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
As Cate says, get to work on your next book. If an agent is any good, she has a bunch of already published clients. This is where she devotes 98% of her time, as she should. Some agents I've know have no more than three or four hours per week to read queries, partials, and full novel submissions, and they usually have a LOT queries, quite a few partials, and several full novels to read during those few hours.

Patience really is a virtue, and the best way to stop worrying about the manuscript you have out is to pour yourself into a new one.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
You should check the Bewares board--a lot of people post on response time there, so you can find out the time specific to your agent. But I wouldn't worry until 3 months or so.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
You can also check out querytracker.net and see if your agent has enough submissions reported to give a good sense of response time.

Guide to Literary Agents also reports some response times, or what the agencies say are their response times anyway.