Covert Affairs Anyone?

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I caught an additional showing of the pilot over the weekend and I really liked it. It's cute, funny and there were plenty of questions I want to stick around to see answered.

I really liked Piper Perabo's character, Annie Walker and I almost always like Peter Gallagher in whatever role he has.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this.

Did anyone else catch/have opinions on it?

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
i watched it, defently going to stick with it, it looks really funny and awesome. Love the whole CIA thing rather then the FBI which is kind of overused now. Cant wait to see how it all plays out with the mysterious x-boyfriend.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saw the trailers,

Didn't think I'd like it, but was pleasantly surprised by the acting and writing.

Loved the relationship/chemistry between Perabo and the blind guy (can't remember his name, was it Auggy?)

Two thumbs up!

jlasserton

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to watch it, but my plan is to watch the episodes online. If they are online? The reviews are decent and from the other comments it seems like it wasn't that bad!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pfeh. I just turned it off after the first 20 minutes. My disbelief wasn't just suspended, it was dangling by its ankles over rush hour traffic. When Auggie declared "Those aren't just random numbers. That's a highly sophisticated algorithm!" ten digits in to a secret code broadcast on a shortwave frequency, surprised that it had actually happened on his watch, I rolled my eyes clear into the next county. Dude. It's A SECRET MESSAGE. TO A SPY. IN SECRET CODE. Of course they aren't going to use A=1, B=2, etc. Gosh, no wonder you work for the CIA, Operative Infodump. :Headbang:

Diane Amy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
I'm finding this show to be light, fluffy entertainment.

I find myself wondering if the blind guy will regain his sight in episodes to come if the show hangs on long enough.

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
I started rolling my eyes when she was yanked from training a month out because she was the only one who could speak Russian (and act as a hooker). Dude. You think the CIA doesn't employ Russian-speakers anymore?

After that, I didn't stop rolling my eyes.
She's super-awesome in every way, even when she screws up.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to watch it the other night, but was just too tired. I'll give it another try, because I really like Chris Gorman; I remember him from Jake 2.0 (one of my fave SyFy marathon shows!)

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I'm finding this show to be light, fluffy entertainment.

I find myself wondering if the blind guy will regain his sight in episodes to come if the show hangs on long enough.

Mr. Grr and I have been watching it, and he's convinced that Auggie will regain his sight before the season is out, if the show sticks around that long. Either someone will figure out that he's never been blind, or he'll have some super-deluxe mega man surgery to get it back.

It's a fun show. We usually record it and watch over the weekend. It's a good show to have on while we're doing other things because it doesn't take much to keep up with the plot.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I find it a little blah, and I hope he doesn't regain his sight. Having a romantic hero with a disability is far cooler than "fixing" him.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I started rolling my eyes when she was yanked from training a month out because she was the only one who could speak Russian (and act as a hooker). Dude. You think the CIA doesn't employ Russian-speakers anymore?

After that, I didn't stop rolling my eyes.
She's super-awesome in every way, even when she screws up.
But who else is gonna do the coffee runs?

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, tjwriter. I kind of like this series, but I am so fickle, I am sure I'm going to stop watching it sooner than later. Enjoying it now, though.

Already Christopher Gorman (from Ugly Betty) bothers me, because he is supposed to be blind, but is not consistently acting blind. Bothers me.

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
She got put into the big-kids spy group because her skills at Russian were so good? PUH LEEZE. I taught myself Russian in a week in preparation for a movie I was anticipating would have lots of things I would miss had I not known the language (Eastern Promises). Had it been Farsi or some elusive dialect of the Mideast, OK. But in this day and age that won't fly with me. Sidney-fricking-Poitier is fluent in it, for crissakes. Did they spy him up during the Cuban Missile Crisis?

Well.....maybe they did.

LauraAnnSwanson

Oracle of Poultry
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lauraannswanson.com
I stumbled onto the pilot by accident, and in pausing our new fangled DVR remote thingy I set it to record every episode.
Tonight we sat down and watched the first 3 episodes and although it wasn't CSI or anything, I really enjoyed it. My brain didn't hurt keeping up with the plot, and there were enough pros to slightly outweigh the cons. As long as they don't overplay the "I'm new here and the interesting things only happen to me" angle I will tune in for a few more...

Diane Amy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
She got put into the big-kids spy group because her skills at Russian were so good? PUH LEEZE. I taught myself Russian in a week in preparation for a movie I was anticipating would have lots of things I would miss had I not known the language (Eastern Promises). Had it been Farsi or some elusive dialect of the Mideast, OK. But in this day and age that won't fly with me. Sidney-fricking-Poitier is fluent in it, for crissakes. Did they spy him up during the Cuban Missile Crisis?

Well.....maybe they did.

That was the excuse they gave her for taking her out of training early. They really wanted her out and about because of her ex-boyfriend.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
That was the excuse they gave her for taking her out of training early. They really wanted her out and about because of her ex-boyfriend.

Yeah. The thing about not thinking there's much plot is that you might not be paying attention when a rather important plot thread gets worked in there.

Like her ex -- who popped up once to save her life, then vanished again.

I find that an interesting thread.

And I'm not seeing Auggie as a love interest for her. Not yet, anyway. Hope they keep him blind.

It's light entertainment, a bit of a change from cops and FBI agents, and ... I like it.

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
Okay, I grant that she's there to lure out the mysterious ex (I didn't miss that the first time around).

But she seems reasonably Mary Sue-ish to me. Does she actually *have* flaws?

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
(SPOILERS for up to Episode 4)

I find the show completely ridiculous (it's been four episodes and the ex hasn't popped in again--would it have hurt to send her back to complete training? Especially since no one was sure if she'd been trained to go to ground in episode Four...), but I'm guessing it's meant to be light, and it's funny enough that I keep watching. I feel they really hit their stride in the fourth episode, minor moments that made me roll my eyes aside.

I like Piper Perabo, but I'm really watching it for Christopher Gorman. I hope they don't match them into romantic interests because they work a lot better with a snarky developing friendship.

Last edited:

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Wow, I get to cast resurrect thread to create a Zombie!!! I feel so priviledged. :dire:

So anyway, Season 3 started last night. Anyone watching still? Should we go all spoilery?

*Spoilers abound*

Surprised they killed off Jay. New writer hate the character?

Don't trust Annie's new boss. Think she's part of Jay's suggested problem.

We will see the team back together before season's end.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
As to #1: As soon as she rec'd the phonecall asking for the meeting I knew who was going to kick it* (and the description on my cable service's guide told me someone died);

#2: She's definitely looking like the (or at least "a") big bad for the season. I read an interview with a show-runner who said this season would consist of fewer stand-alone eps and concentrate on a season-long story arc concerning the russian's tattoo (I make no claims to veracity);

#3: I hope. I like her old boss.

*SPOILER: The circumstances of the explosion (the man in the tan jacket, sitting in the corner, who followed Jay out, for one thing) makes me think we may not have seen the last of Jay.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I like this show. It's like a more light and fun Alias (not that anything will ever be Alias). I kind of wish they would keep it mostly episodic though. I think stretching out the plot too much ventures into Alias territory, but I don't think they'll do it as well.

Gilroy, regarding your spoilers:

1- Not what I expecting. It seemed totally random.

2- Me too. She's got sneaky written all over her. I'm excited to see how this plays out.

3- I agree.