• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking solace

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuseAbuse

Registered
Reaction score
... or craziness... or maybe a finely tuned piano.

I'm in search of a writing mentor steeped in fantasy knowledge. Or maybe not just knowledge but experience. Or maybe just at least someone who enjoys the genre and knows what he or she is doing.

As a queen of procrastination, I've finally laid down the sceptre and need a councelor to help me out with my writing. I write mostly fantasy stuffs, but also want to venture into article writing time by time.

Some advice, gentle coaxing out of the mousehole into the trap known as publishing, yadda yadda flambee, is definitely appreciated.

Apply within! Payment is made with hugs and smiles.

Seriously though, I think a mentor would be just what I need to get out of this little slump I have. If anyone can help, that would be great, and I thank you in advance. :thankyou:

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what I'm doing. I've never been published. If the heating oil prices go up, who cares, I have enough rejection slips to burn all winter. I'm currently working on 4 novels and 4 short stories.( Sci-fi/fantasy. Horror)

But. I love fantasy and Sci-fi. I don't know if I will be of any help but I'm capable of hand holding, at the least. ( when I'm not bouncing off the walls ready to throttle co-workers.) And I've read a LOT of fantasy. So if you don't find anyone better, you can bounce ideas off of me. I'm not always on line, so I may not get back to you with split second accuracy, and If I go out of town, I'm usually in the mountains with no internet access so I'm forced to write. But I's passin' good wit that there grammer stuff.

And, if you have time, I'd like to send you an occasional chapter. OK?

Also look at the writing exercises and prompts board. Titus has a fantasy story going that everyone contributes a paragraph or so to.

Good Luck.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hardly an expert, but I do have some small advice. The first is to get notebook (s)

You can list the names of people for future reference. Eyes brown, loves telling stories- met Prona on the road to Lambey. I don't like the terms "Throwaway Characters", but you will need a character here or there to push the story forward. Instead of having ten, you might re-use two, and therefore have to remember their names although they last appeared on page four, and you are now in book two on page 287.

Degal was surprised to see Prono again on the long road to Meeka. He thought to avoid him, not wanting to be pressed into listening to another one of his overlong tales...

You need to list places. Meeka- village below Lambey. People are crass, and violent there...where the Idol of Komay was burned.

You need to make a rough map and reference it as needed. Lambey may be north of Meeka, but it is also east of Tome. This is handy when you have a journey within the story.

MuseAbuse

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love that, Jay. That is, if I'm not too late to accept. You see, the cat ate my computer, so I didn't get to reply super fast.
All right. So I lied. My kitties are at home and I've just been busy with work and not writing as much as I should. I'd love to become writing buddies with you. My people will call your people. We'll do lunch. It'll be great!

Or rather, I'll just pm you my email addy, and we'll take it from there. I have one story already that I'd like to bounce off someone. It got rejected just last week for the "Bash Down the Door" humor anthology. I made the mistake of rereading it just now when I know I should've just written a query letter and sent it off somewhere else.

.. so I'm new to this thing. I'm too much of a perfectionist. Le siiiigh.

Sound advice, Nate. I've always carried around a mini notebook with me, but I rarely use it for just jotting down people and places. When ideas spring up in my head, or when I just HAVE to write something, 6 times out of 10 I do it. I'll keep the people and places thing in mind. As a fantasy writer, I'm a bit sparse on the places thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.