Querying the agent that liked you last time

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com
I'm about to start querying a new book. Since this new work is the same genre as my last, I figure a good place to start is with the agents that requested the full/partial of my previous book.

My question is, should I mention that they requested a previous work of mine in the query?

Also, two of these agents were very complimentary, and asked to see my next works. What do I say there? Do I refer to the older book by name, just to jog their memory? (It's been about eight months, I'm assuming they've long forgotten me and my book.)

Thanks!

kaitlin008

Seeing newness all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kaitlinward.blogspot.com
If they asked to see future works, definitely remind them that you'd queried them before & that they said they'd like to see future mss. And it doesn't hurt to mention the old book by name--they very well may remember it.

With full/partial rejects who didn't say anything like that, though, I don't think I would mention anything.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
If you still have those e-mails, just hit reply. Take the "Re:" out and have the subject as just "query" and in your letter, reference that you've attached the prior work. You'd be surprised at how good of memory agents have sometimes. But, yeah, I wouldn't mention the previous querying if they didn't ask for future work--either you were memorable enough for them to recognize it, or you weren't (in which case, it probably wouldn't help you). Good luck!

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
Co-signed to kaitlin and Ryan.

Mine was technically a massive revision (though it might as well have been a new book) and I just reminded the agent that had been interested but ultimately rejected it, and he immediately requested a full. Easiest request ever.

Good luck!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... just did the same, myself. Agent rejected my last several months back. I reminded him of that, said my latest was better ;-) , and told him that he was the first I'd thought of for the new work, and he was. He requested the full, so mentioning the rejected one didn't seem to hurt any. G'luck yourself.

ps I didn't mention the previous one by name, primarily because that had the slight potential to cause some confusion as to which work I was pitching.

Danthia

If all they did was request work and say no, I wouldn't mention those. But if they said to send your next book, definitely mention that.

For what it's worth, my own agent rejected me twice before I sent her a book that worked for her :) Another that asked for the full, also rejected previous books. I'm living proof querying the same agents with new projects can work.

Good luck!

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
If they asked to see future works, definitely remind them that you'd queried them before & that they said they'd like to see future mss. And it doesn't hurt to mention the old book by name--they very well may remember it.

With full/partial rejects who didn't say anything like that, though, I don't think I would mention anything.

This.