Best Western Series

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
OK. I know we have a couple Western Reading lists going here. But I'm looking for more than a standalone novel. I was wondering if there are any good series out there. Because I'm the sort that when I find a character I like, I want to read as much about them until I get sick of them and never pick up another. :D

So what series are out there, past and present, and which are the good ones, which are the bad ones?

I was always curious if there was a novel series of The Lone Ranger, or if he only existed on radio and television.

I left the title open in case anyone wants to just talk about television or movies series, too.

Me, I'm currently making my way through the second season of Have Gun, Will Travel which I just think is an all-around excellent television show, regardless of genre.

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
There was a long-running Lone Ranger novel series that was published from the 1930s through the 50s...I had most of them in hardcover at one time.

LR3_Gold.jpg

As a tie-in to 1981's Legend of The Lone Ranger movie, several of them were reprinted in paperback.

!BgttSsQ!mk~$(KGrHqIOKjoEryZ14zGzBLG(Zs2H9!~~_35.JPG

But for my money, the best Western novel series was Nevada Jim, by "Marshall McCoy" with the beautiful James Bama covers.

!BtL9gm!!2k~$(KGrHqEH-CcEvp+dge,(BL649z!hMw~~_35.JPG

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might consider the series written by A.B. Guthrie, starting with The Big Sky. The second book in the series, The Way West, won the Pulitzer Prize.

There's the Sacketts series by Louis L'amour.