Amazon losing money

zpeteman

Natural born...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thefiddlersgun.com
Last month I lowered the list price of the Kindle version of my book to 2.99. Saw a huge increase in sales.

Now that the new royalty system is in place, Amazon has discounted the book to 1.99 which is fine by me because that means they are paying me 2.10 for every book even though they are only selling it for 1.99. (Royalty is based on the price set by the publisher(me), not on the actual sales price.)

So then I thought, wait a minute, what if I bought a million copies of my own book. I'd make $110,000. But wouldn't you know it, Amazon won't let you buy multiple copies of ebooks. Argh. I got excited for a minute there.

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
Haha. It's good to see an author in the position of gaining more than Amazon can gain.

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
We're in the "explosive growth and competition" phase of e-book and e-reader technology right now. With the Nook and iPad out now, the Kindle has its first real competition, so Amazon is likely selling Kindles and e-books at a loss (which can be made up from its other lucrative businesses) to try and grab/maintain market share.

Luckily, their loss can be a consumer's gain in the form of lower prices...unless it means they start dramatically slashing royalties too!

Library4Science

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.library4science.com
I would check on that if I were you. If you are getting the 70% royalty then the calculation is based on the discounted price. If you are getting the 35% royalty then the calculation is based on your set price.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
There's money to be made in eBooks. There will be competition.

I don't believe there's such a thing as a good or evil corporation. They're in it for the money. If that means throwing you under the bus, they surely will. Just be prepared to do the same to them.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Amused, are you sure of that? It's a tempting statistic but I'd like to see its source.

amused

Banned
Reaction score
Website
minigiggles.com
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20012381-82.html

CNET: Well, Apple's saying it's got 20 percent market share and I've heard Barnes & Noble saying it's got 20 percent as well, so that would leave you guys with...
Freed: Honestly, something doesn't add up because we're pretty sure we're 70 to 80 percent of the market. So, something, somewhere isn't quite working right. I encourage you to do some more research. Obviously, from the beginning of Amazon we've been very metrics-focused and we don't typically throw out numbers we don't firmly believe in. Take that 70 to 80 percent number and add up all the others and something somewhere isn't going to add up.
http://www.tbiresearch.com/amazon-selling-90-of-all-e-books-2010-1

Several publishers and distributors tell us that Amazon is currently selling upwards of 90% of all e-books sold.

Last edited:

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Ha. Freed said 'Honestly'. Take a drink.

Seriously, though, the question: Is that percentage on the rise or on the decline?

Given the iPad release this year, several publishers expanding their eBook libraries, and additional tablet/reader devices coming out, that number won't hold. As I say, there's money in eBooks. There will be competition.