Arizona AWers: Help needed!

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Long story short.

After living in Arizona for 8 years, I was laid off from my job. As my visa is tied to my job, we are returning to the UK for good on July 29th. We have two dogs that we can't take with us. One is a 9 year old heeler/australian shepherd bitch and the other is a 4 year old chocolate labrador male. They are both house-trained, affectionate and well-behaved. Unlike a lot of dogs around this town, they aren't dogs who are kept outside 24/7.

I have had no success in finding a home for them. They do not get on with other dogs. They do get on with kids and cats. My only alternative, at this moment, is to take them to the local pound, which is tantamount to a death sentence because there are so many animals in need of homes. I phoned the Valley Humane Society and they can't take them because they have a long waiting list.

If any one can suggest a no-kill shelter somewhere between Phoenix and Tucson, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried finding a breed rescue for the Lab?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Try this...

http://aawl.org/

Its the Arizona Animal Welfare League and they are a no kill adoption and animal rescue league.

Sorry to hear about the job and that you will be leaving our fair country. Keep in touch when you touch down, I have enjoyed your post and knowledge...

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, so sorry to hear this. I have not had pets for some years now, so am out of any loops on that. :Shrug:

Best wishes.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
I've a full house: my mom's poodle and 2 young pups, (11 months and 7 months) one of whom is a yellow lab. Even though I'm in CT, I'd help if I could.

Try Craigslist to see if there are any takers on there. It's worth a shot.

Call local vets and see if they know of anyone, your vet...thinking while typing. Put up flyers, w/ their photos, include reason why...can't you take them w/ you? even after quarantine?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, wish you didn't have this prob. firedrake, but so hope things work out well on all counts. Prayers sent your way.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Call Best Friends Animal Society. (435) 644-2001 They're in Utah, but if they can't help they can get you networked in with someone who can.

Craigslist may get you people who will buy the dogs to sell into medical research.

Best of luck to you and the dogs.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Craigslist may get you people who will buy the dogs to sell into medical research.

Best of luck to you and the dogs.
Obviously, when I mentioned Craigslist, I assumed Firedrake would use discretion in interviewing any individuals prior to handing over her kids. Not to mention, doing a thorough background check as would anyone, I would hope, in her situation. She appears to have her head squarely on her shoulders. It's fairly apparent when sifting through the ads on the site; who the freaks are. The Nigerian relatives are all over the place. Even ones looking for rentals. Shocking, I tell you.

Some shelters sell to med research, too as do puppy mills and stores.

I would still consider calling local vets; they've got a good bead on who's looking, usually.

ETA: renting space in my house, which is why I've been on Craigslist of late. might even rent out part of the attic...kidding...too hot up there...but w/ the fan I just put in...

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously, when I mentioned Craigslist, I assumed Firedrake would use discretion in interviewing any individuals prior to handing over her kids. Not to mention, doing a thorough background check as would anyone, I would hope, in her situation. She appears to have her head squarely on her shoulders. It's fairly apparent when sifting through the ads on the site who the freaks are. The Nigerian relatives are all over the place. Even ones looking for rentals. Shocking, I tell you.

Some shelters sell to med research, too as do puppy mills and stores.

I would still consider calling local vets; they've got a good bead on who's looking, usually.

I agree with everything you said with the exception of you can tell who the freaks are. Unfortunately the kinds of people who sell into research are usually at least organized enough to have references.

Great idea to call local vets.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
I agree with everything you said with the exception of you can tell who the freaks are. Unfortunately the kinds of people who sell into research are usually at least organized enough to have references.

Great idea to call local vets.
We're close to shutting down a store in my area, thank God, b/c it's been proven they're a puppy mill store. It's taken numerous trips to Hartford, etc. We, at least got them to move from one town to another and will educate people in that town, as well. It's also been proven that a vet is getting kickbacks from them-selling sick animals. Makes you want to wring their necks. Of course, then you're stooping to their level. Going the legal route is the way to shut them down, for good. Yeah, these people are, generally smart, but sniffing (sorry, couldn't resist) them out can be done, if you've got the time.

Thanks for the comment about the vet, though. The economic times make it difficult for lots of folks and they're on the front lines; the good ones, anyway. Bringing in a nice photo poster w/ phone number, they'll be happy to put it up. My vet has a bulletin board in his waiting room for that purpose. It's heart breaking when you see all the pics...

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Maybe you should ask Mod to retitle thread and open it to more than AZ. Others may look and be close enough (always a personal defintion) to help.

Stlight on east coast with a dog

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Maybe you should ask Mod to retitle thread and open it to more than AZ. Others may look and be close enough (always a personal defintion) to help.

Stlight on east coast with a dog
What's wrong w/ you? You've only got 1. I've got 3. Ok, the poodle was my mom's. My old guy died last Nov. So, I got a puppy. The poodle's 12. I got another puppy...hey, you should take the 2 dogs, then, you'll be like me :D

And, we're both on the East Coast! Ha!

I agree, there's all kinds of pet transports out there. I'm talking about, ground. It's too hot for pets to fly, although there are pet airlines. This is doable.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Ha-ha, JeanMarie. Good one. Did that with cats.

But mine is afraid of other dogs. Her five companion cats died in the late 90s, then her three companion dogs died in 04, 05, 07 and since then she hasn't liked other dogs. I think she can't take the losing them. She's 10. Therefore no new dogs. Ditto from the elderly cat.

I've always been astounded at your driving across country at will. I do salute you. ;-)

Fingers crossed for Firedrake.

Last edited:

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

LorelieBrown

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, Firedrake, I'm so sorry to hear about all this. :( Unfortunately I already have a dog, plus a husband with short-hair dog allergies. (Yes, husband's allergies come second in my concern. LOL.)

Will ask around at my RWA meeting on Saturday, too.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could be more helpful, but all I can come up with is the Humane Society of Southern Arizona in Tucson. They're not quite no-kill, but they won't euth animals for minor reasons. According to their FAQ:

How long do you keep animals before you euthanize them?
We have no set time limit at HSSA. We make every effort to find a suitable home for each animal in our care. However, if absolutely necessary, animals in poor health or with severe temperament issues will be humanely euthanized.

Hope this helps. I hope and pray that your dogs get a good home, and that you'll have better fortune in the UK than you did here.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your good wishes and suggestions.

After a long, sleepless night and discussions with our vet, Patches was put to sleep this morning.

Her cough had been getting worse and she hadn't eaten in four days. She was getting very lethargic and depressed. We had to face the fact that a 9 year old dog with an arthritic spine and valley fever was not likely to find a home. We decided that, rather than have her spend her last days in a crowded, noisy shelter among strangers, it would be kinder to have her put to sleep surrounded by people who loved and cared about her.

It was the hardest damned thing I have ever done in a life time of hard things. My only comfort is that she went peacefully and that our wonderful vet agreed it was the kindest thing to do in the circumstances. There are many things I hate about this town, but there are some good things and our vet is one of them.

There is a possibility that Otto may have a good home. I'll find out for sure on Friday.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs, firedrake, and here's hoping and praying that Otto finds a good home. :Hug2:

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
:cry:Poor Patches! You did what had to, but it's never easy.

Joining with Yeshanu in praying for a good home for Otto.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
A little update:

I'm just this moment waiting for a friend/former colleague to come and collect Otto. My friend has a little ranch/hobby farm. He's lived here all his life and has grown up around dogs. His gun dog is getting on in years and he's going to try and train Otto. Given Otto's breeding, he should do fine. Posh English gun dogs on both sides.
He'll be well looked after and, given that our vet is a friend of his, she'll be able to keep an eye on him too.

I couldn't have asked for a better home for him.