"Read My Lips" Obama Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
GHW Bush was a one-term president thanks in large part to his "Read my lips, No new taxes" pledge.

Barack Obama's version: "Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase."

With apologies to Martin Niemoller, first they came for the cigarette smokers, but they're a minority these days, and besides, they are teh evul, so nobody gives a damn if they get screwed.

Now we have this. First the setup:
“For us to say that you’ve got to take a responsibility to get health insurance is absolutely not a tax increase,” the president said last September, in a spirited exchange with George Stephanopoulos on the ABC News program “This Week.”

When Mr. Stephanopoulos said the penalty appeared to fit the dictionary definition of a tax, Mr. Obama replied, “I absolutely reject that notion.”
But here's the latest scoop, courtesy of the NYT:
When Congress required most Americans to obtain health insurance or pay a penalty, Democrats denied that they were creating a new tax. But in court, the Obama administration and its allies now defend the requirement as an exercise of the government’s “power to lay and collect taxes.”

And that power, they say, is even more sweeping than the federal power to regulate interstate commerce. (BOHICA alert)

Administration officials say the tax argument is a linchpin of their legal case in defense of the health care overhaul and its individual mandate, now being challenged in court by more than 20 states and several private organizations.

Under the legislation signed by President Obama in March, most Americans will have to maintain “minimum essential coverage” starting in 2014. Many people will be eligible for federal subsidies to help them pay premiums.

In a brief defending the law, the Justice Department says the requirement for people to carry insurance or pay the penalty is “a valid exercise” of Congress’s power to impose taxes.

Congress can use its taxing power “even for purposes that would exceed its powers under other provisions” of the Constitution, the department said. For more than a century, it added, the Supreme Court has held that Congress can tax activities that it could not reach by using its power to regulate commerce.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Oh, that's cheeky.

But you know Don, it's the same kind of bait and switch as the lawsuit against the AZ immigration law: the principle complaint given publicly was always that it violated civil rights, but not a word of that came up in the lawsuit.

Of course, putting the IRS in charge was kind of an early giveaway, no?

That said, I'm not sure this will sink Obama's reelection chances. People still have short memories, as a group.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
GHW Bush was a one-term president thanks in large part to his "Read my lips, No new taxes" pledge.
That's probably true. You'd think invading Panama would have done it, but that didn't seem to bother people too much (within the U.S.).

Making any kind of pledge about taxes is damn risky. You can get away with bullshitting about all sorts of things, but if you specifically tell them that their taxes won't be raised, they tend to remember it.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
(Wanders into room, looks around).....hum. I see something that walks like a duck. Hum....it quacks like a duck. (Scratches head.) But I've been told no ducks are around here......? (Makes note to self to go to library and check out a book about ducks.)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Oh, that's cheeky.

But you know Don, it's the same kind of bait and switch as the lawsuit against the AZ immigration law: the principle complaint given publicly was always that it violated civil rights, but not a word of that came up in the lawsuit.

indeed.

indeed.

That said, I'm not sure this will sink Obama's reelection chances. People still have short memories, as a group.

indeed.

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's cheeky.

They sure do.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's terribly unfortunate.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting... I well remember during the debates, when asked if healthcare was a responsibility or a right, McCain said he thought it was a responsibility... and Obama said it was a right. I guess it's a right if you can be made responsible to pay the tab. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.