• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

I really need a Beta, please help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAekeru

Registered
Reaction score
I need someone to read over my stories and check for Grammer and give their oppinion. I dont care if you are cruel or blunt about it at all so long as you tell me exactly what you mean when you point out that something is wrong.

I started writing this one years ago:

Title: Oh No! The King!
Summery: Serenth is a Knight determined for his king to be back on the throne, and to defeat the eminent Evil. Trenton is the mysterious ruler himself. Too Bad he's just a flirty man who doesn't see the gravity of the situation: or so Serenth thinks.
With intrigue, love, and tragedy mixed into their lives our crew will find that getting their beloved king back on the throne is just one step to righting the wrongs and evils of the past... And is looking to be much harder than anyone would dread to think. (I know.. It's a horrible summary but I couldnt' think of what else to put. I started this years ago and I'm now 18 almost 19...)
Genre: It is a romance, with adventrue and fantasy
Note: Homosexual content. Not going to be a strong part, it's just a "side flavor" I guess.

This one is a more Recent story:
Title: Worst Day Ever (again.. suckish but I was at a loss)
summary: Some people could be so lucky to go to school, make friends, and then graduate, but me and MY beautiful self obviously have to have it the hard way. Between my crush, the attractive and RUDE neighbor, and cruel pranks, what's a guy to do?
Genre: Romance, and it is going to be an "Erotica"
Note: The homosexuality is a main theme in this; a strong main theme

Note on both of these stories: BOTH of these are LONG pieces

Last edited:

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
There might be some argument here, but a Beta Reader is a person who reads the finished product as a member of your audience, not a person who helps you shape your story, that is called a Substantive Editor. Betas certainly look for and find "bugs" in your story, but do not help you write it. They give their impressions, but are not expected to give you any more information other than "I like it" or "I don't."

As to the gay: I don't think there are people here who are judgmental like that. Feedback is totally necessary for a writer. What genre is this? If sexuality is important to the plot or anything, is it erotic? There are gay/bi/transgender stories all the time, also a pretty active erotic novel board here and no need to get bashful about it. You might post a few excerpts in SYW. I believe each category has a SYW. Then people can take a look and either comment, or decide if they want to read further.

TAekeru

Registered
Reaction score
There might be some argument here, but a Beta Reader is a person who reads the finished product as a member of your audience, not a person who helps you shape your story, that is called a Substantive Editor. Betas certainly look for and find "bugs" in your story, but do not help you write it. They give their impressions, but are not expected to give you any more information other than "I like it" or "I don't."

As to the gay: I don't think there are people here who are judgmental like that. Feedback is totally necessary for a writer. What genre is this? If sexuality is important to the plot or anything, is it erotic? There are gay/bi/transgender stories all the time, also a pretty active erotic novel board here and no need to get bashful about it. You might post a few excerpts in SYW. I believe each category has a SYW. Then people can take a look and either comment, or decide if they want to read further.

Okay I will edit. I was not request helping with the writing itself; I can write it myself. It was more grammer wise, for things that I did not catch myself... I will edit the request, thank you for pointing this out :)

As for the reason why I said that it had that content like that... I am not yet familiar with this board, and I always figure on the side of caution; I'm sorry, I did not mean to be offensive at all.

Can you tell me what SYW is? I'm new here, I dont know what that is..?

Last edited:

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
SYW is Share Your Work. There is a password. Just take a passage of your writing (maybe a chapter), ask pleasantly for people to read it, and hope for the best. It is best really to do SYW in the genre of your book. Romance SYW for romance stories, etc. There are some very accomplished writers here. It is not your average writing message board.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
You really did not need to line through your post. I really feel like I made you do that. Can you un-line the post so other people can help you out please? Sometimes it takes a couple of days to get an answer to posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.