The deluxe $75,000 book

Status
Not open for further replies.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
The Wall Street Journal has a story about high-end specialty publishers selling limited-edition books with prices up to $75,000. Brett Ratner, the director of Rush Hour and X-Men 3, loves these things. And he's widely known as a consummate aesthete with discerning taste.

A book about the installation artist Christo is designed by the artist and comes with a 1965 lithograph. A book about Muhammad Ali comes with rare autographed photos. A very limited run of a book about the Indian cricket star Sachin Tendulkar is printed with ink made from Tendulkar's blood, for some reason. A book about the lunar landing comes with a piece of the moon.

So what other exciting limited editions can we expect? Most of these deluxe books are only for small-run, specialty titles, but my heart begins to beat faster as I imagine the tantalizing possibilities of super-fancy runs of mainstream bestsellers. For just one year's salary, you could have:

1. A limited edition of Bret Easton Ellis's Imperial Bedrooms, with a brick of commemorative cocaine. Order up some hookers and some chainsaws, and party like it's 1985!

2. A special version of Andrew Young's John Edwards tell-all, The Politician, with a rare vial of Edwards's DNA. Now you can establish the Senator's paternity in the comfort of your home!

3. Glenn Beck's The Overton Window, numbered, autographed, and soaked in a vat of the author's tears.

4. A limited edition of Stephanie Meyer's Twilight: New Moon, bound in skin from Taylor Lautner's waxed, shirtless chest. You should have read that contract more carefully, Taylor!

5. Justin Halpern's Sh*t My Dad Says, made from Halpern's father's actual shit.

6. Tucker Max's Assholes Finish First, printed with a special ink made from a pint of the author's smug sense of self-satisfaction. Fun fact: it smells kind of like Axe body spray.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Omg. :ROFL: That's all I have to say about that list.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
All I can think of is all the normal priced books I would be able to buy for $75,000...

Yeah. But they're not made of blood unless some douche at the paper mill fell into the pulp machine. And even if you get lucky and that happened, it's just some douche's blood, not Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar's.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Anything is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, and books have always been a very good investment. Some such books, just as some pieces of art, will fall out of favor and drop in value, but most will be worth more each year, and most who pay exorbitant prices for anything are buying as an investment, and usually can, if need be, make a substantial profit a few years down the road.

And the buyer can often make an indirect profit on pubicity alone.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it like three years too late for that?

There's still time. Shirtless guys with six packs will always be the poster boys.

I mean, there's still Backstreet Boys posters in many girls' rooms if you look around.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
This just proves we're not taxing the rich enough.

*runs away from thread*

Hell, let the rich keep all their money, if they promise to spend it this way. I'd rather have the rich buying $75,000 books than have Uncle Sam buying $75,000 screwdrivers for the DOD.

Especially if one of those $75,000 books is mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.