*sigh*

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
My seven-year-old miniature horse, Ginger, has been ill for going on three months now- I posted back then about her-

The vets are scratching their collective heads about what is going on with her. We have treated her for everything from Lymes disease to EPM (a neurological parasitic thing- not a good thing) But after a brief period
where it looked like she might be turning the corner and getting better- she has now gone the other way-

we have a couple options right now-
1- control her discomfort with pain meds and give her some more time-
2-take her to Cornell, a large innovative equine university in New York for extensive testing and treatment (that would put us down a couple of grand at least)
3- put her down-

She is only seven

Rhetorical question here but when do you know when enough is enough?
what if we put her down and she only needed a little more time to turn that corner- or worse what if we wait and she dies in pain?
*sigh*
my heart is broken-

Last edited:

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Hugs work just fine Jersey- thanks-:(

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, shea. :Hug2: What a terrible position to be in.

My vet recently gave me some good advice about my cat. She said to ask him what he wants. Tell him that there is a better place than this, and that when he is ready to go there, when this life is just too hard, he should let me know. I tell him that we'll be together again someday.

Whatever you decide, it'll be the right thing. I'm praying for you. :Hug2:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How awful for you. :Hug2:

My advice. If you can afford to take her Cornell without putting a bend on your finances and the vets there believe they can help then I would try.

If they are don't have much hope, then I would keep her as comfortable as possible until she no longer has the desire to try. If she is eating and doing her best to get around then keep her comfortable. They usually let us know when they have no desire to go on

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
we talked to the vets at Cornell this morning after I first posted. Basically the bottom line is, if we took her there, they could possibly give us a definitive diagnoses, but if it is EPM there is really nothing more than can do- her high heart rate is likely in response to pain- we gave her something to help with that-

If we thought there was something Cornell could do- we would go, despite the cost- that's not the deciding factor. The five hour trip there would most likely stress her to the breaking point (she is with her mommy and they have never been separated, so we would have to bring both of them to keep her calm) I don't think she would survive the trip.

So, we are watching and listening for her to tell us when its time- right now she is up and down periodically, but she is eating and drinking. so for now we wait and see- but we also called a friend with a back hoe- just in case-I hate to be practical but when you have large animals you have to be prepared-

I'll keep you updated and thank you all so much for the thoughts, prayers and hugs- its nice to let my guard down here- I'm trying to keep a brave face on for my kids-

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A hard place to be in. I know. Good luck with your decision. I think Regdog gave excellent advice.

:Hug2:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry things are looking so bleak.

I didn't mean to sound insensitive when I mentioned the money aspect. I know most of us would do anything to save our pets and when the money becomes the deciding factor it's hard to say if I want to save my pet I have to give up food. And the guilt associated with that can be overwhelming.

It seems as if keeping her comfortable is the way to go. I'm so sorry and hope she doesn't suffer and neither do you. :Hug2:

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
And another hug ... thoughts are with you ...

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys-
Red dog- you weren't insensitive- not at all-I am a very practical person and while I love all my critters more than I should- I am not going to put a lean on my house just to say I did everything i could-so no worries there at all-I very much appreciated the advice-

The vet was just out as her resp rate was very high- I just wanted him to eyeball her and give us an honest opinion-

her heart rate and respiratory rate are high and she now has muffled heart sounds which means she in accumulating fluid around her heart-

She will not get better- she is going to die- but she is not acutely suffering at this point in the vet's opinion, which I trust and agree with.

We told him , yes, put her down and then I went to get my kids so they could say good by to her- By the time the kids came out she was back on her feet-

That was all it took for my husband too change to his mind. we gave her more pain med and a diuretic to help her hear rate, but it is only a band aid- My husband is aware of this as well, but he needs time and she is no worse so we will give her a day and then we will see. Most likely the vet will be back out in the morning one last time-

The hole is dug in the upper pasture-:cry:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, shea, wish I had good advice, but my prayers and hopes she'll get better are with you and yours. Let us know, how it's going, k. Take care of yourself, too. :Hug2:s always

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
So pretty! :Hug2:

I know this has been so hard for you all to bear, and you've worked very hard to figure out what has been happening. The only "wrong" decisions are selfish ones, so just do what your hearts tell you is right for Ginger.

If at all possible, let her mother be nearby when she passes so that she will understand what has happened to her companion. My pets insist on inspecting the remains of their close friends, and grieve less deeply when allowed to do so on their own schedule.

:Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: to you, your family and pretty girl.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Still on her feet this morning- but not drinking enough or eating. I almost wish she had passed during the night so I wouldn't have to make the decision- because I know my husband won't-This is tearing him apart- he is 6'4" 220lbs and weeping like a baby- my poor tough guy.

She is in no acute distress today- tomorrow while he is at work I think- he said it would be easier for him that way- she was just giving me kisses-

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think she knows and is letting you know it's okay :(

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone- they do sink their little hooks in your heart, don't they? I'll keep you informed-

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to offer my own hugs and support. I went through the same thing with my cat Misty, wondering if maybe it would be worth it to try and get her help or if putting her down was more humane. We want to do everything to make them better, but we don't want to put them through suffering either. When she started pooping blood I knew it was time, though I still had my doubts. At the center we took her to, she was very calm and relaxed right up to when we handed her over - which was amazing because she hated strangers and hated men especially. That kind of told me we made the right move, and that she knew. They find a way to let you know when it's okay.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Still on her feet this morning- she was out grazing last evening- but obviously uncomfortable when she walks- Is she telling me what to do and I'm not listening? I wish I knew-

Ginger only came to be with us a little over two years ago- we never had minis before, but my 35 year old gelding can't eat hay, so in the winter we would have had too separate him from the other horses we have and he would have been terribly lonely. so we thought if we get a mini we can make a dutch door over one of the stalls and put the mini's hay in there and close the top door so Panther (gelding) can't get to it. Brilliant- right? it seemed so- Panther thrived and loves his 'girls' he thinks he's a stallion again-lol- and Brandy (Ginger's mom) and Ginger love him- Ginger was the brave one who first went out to meet Panther when we first introduced them.

She is such a character- DH was sitting in the field just watching them that first day and Ginger walked right up to where he was and tried to sit in his lap! So funny- she is the first one to greet me in the morning and last to say good night- such a personality-

Her mom was abused and abandoned before the guy we got them from found her- she was locked in stall pregnant with Ginger and left to die- Rich saved them and then found himself with to many horses- he gave them to us for free when he heard why we wanted them-

sorry for the long story but she has been with us for such a short time it is just not fair- I guess I just wanted you to know her a little bit- I wish I knew what to do- Her heart rate this morning is high and irregular, but she is standing! and seems in no acute distress-I only get one chance to do this right.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Clues I look for when a pet is trying to move on:

*no appetite at all (and adverse side effects from anything eaten)

*secludes herself from others

*unresponsive (deeply depressed, mentally dull or confused)

*moves away from personal contact

*symptoms of illness that do not respond to any treatments

If the discomfort you are seeing could be managed, then you may have more time. Do you have an acupuncturist available where you live (http://www.aava.org/php/aava_blog/aava-directory/)?

Otherwise, stay close to her, side-by-side, so that you can feel what her energy can tell you.

No right or wrong, only Love.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Clues I look for when a pet is trying to move on:

*no appetite at all (and adverse side effects from anything eaten) Still interested in food- but not eating enough

*secludes herself from others- Yes

*unresponsive (deeply depressed, mentally dull or confused)- yes

*moves away from personal contact- No- she seeks out contact

*symptoms of illness that do not respond to any treatments-Big yes

If the discomfort you are seeing could be managed, then you may have more time. Do you have an acupuncturist available where you live- She was actually seen by an Equine chiropractor thinking her discomfort was a slipped disc- her back was fine- we asked about an equine acupuncturist- her didn't think it would make a big diference in her comfort as he agreed it is neurological in nature- (http://www.aava.org/php/aava_blog/aava-directory/)?

Otherwise, stay close to her, side-by-side, so that you can feel what her energy can tell you.

No right or wrong, only Love.

Thanks sweetie- I am hoping when the time is right she will let me know- the waiting is the hard part- Love is not a problem-