The Kitchen

The Kitchen

• My chapel, my meditation space, my Fortress of Solitude.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • My refuge from the world, family and friends welcom.

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • If I don't cook, the spouse and kids will starve. Someone's gotta do it.

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A sweat shop I can't wait to get out of.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never been in there, never gonna go in.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • We eat out exclusively.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I voted "refuge," but it's more like a laboratory where I make tons of mistakes and try not to set anything on fire.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that it's my refuge from the world, but it's cozy and friendly folks are welcome. It's not the comfiest room in the joint, but it's where the coffee and chocolate are :D

grandma

storytime grandma
Registered
Reaction score
Website
storytimegrandma.blogspot.com
I have been cooking for family since I was 8 years old.
I love to cook and experiment.
Don't like baking.
But in my next life I will marry a man who enjoys eating different things.
steak and potatoes for 34 years gets boring.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I went for refuge as well, but like Bustabes, I'm a bit of a mad scientist in there. And people other than me are rarely in there since people other than me are rarely in my apartment. They're welcome, but there isn't much room for them.

I could do more if I had more space and a dishwasher. Gawd, I want a dishwasher.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I picked "somebody's gotta do it". The kitchen now is old-fashioned (in a 1960s way) with a wood stove surrounded by the 100+-year-old brick walls from the original kitchen. I've made some repairs and painted it and it looks really nice. But it's friggin' cold in the winter (the pantry, adjoining the kitchen, freezes) unless I fire up the wood stove.

In September/October, hubby and I will gut our kitchen (walls, floors, and roof/ceiling will 100% be gone). Nothing but dirt and open air. Then we'll build it all new and slightly bigger. With a new (but old-looking), warm kitchen, and that we hope to expose the original log walls on two sides, no freezing pipes no matter how long the -30 degree temp hangs around, I hope to be able to "change" my opinion to "Fortress of Solitude."

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hate cooking. Always have. What I make is edible and occasionally tasty. But it's cheaper than going out all the time.

I can tolerate baking a few things, but in general I'm only in the kitchen to do dishes when the housemate cooks. That seems to be a fair trade to us.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
My kitchen is a functional room, it has to be as it is the way in to the rest of the house. In some ways I have a kitchen and a half - the half being the four hundred year old brick built bread oven and fireplace that is spread between the sitting room and study.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I vote: I cook because I have too.

I cannot afford to be eating out or buying everything pre packaged. I can cook anything and I do it well. I just don't enjoy it.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy cooking most of the time so it can be my refuge but it can also be "Everybody will starve" sort of thing if I don't. Generally when I'm exhausted.

So I needed multiple choice too.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had good kitchens and bad kitchens. (and 2 remodels - no wait - 3)

This one is 2 points above teh suckage so I voted "someone has to do it"

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I vote: I cook because I have too.

... I can cook anything and I do it well. I just don't enjoy it.

Ditto.

Because my DH is a strict *meat and potatoes* guy, I find cooking to be boring.

However, I'd bake Pies, Cakes etc. all day long - Lurve to bake! ;)

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I used to love to cook, but having a family sucked the joy right out of it. When they were little it used to go like this;

"Why did you make this - you know I hate it"

"Not *insert reviled meal here* again??"

"Why do you NEVER make what I like??"

"This looks like barf on a plate!"

or my favourite

"YUCK!"

Now that they are bigger (and apparently still don't know which side their bread is buttered on) it's a lot of eye rolls, suspicious sniffing, and general mutters of discontent at my apparent disregard to their culinary wishes and complete puzzlement at my strange refusal to have only hamburgers, spaghetti and pizza on the meal rotation. However, I haven't heard "YUCK" in a few years so I'm thinking progress has been made.

BTW When my dad was little his British mother used to respond to the age old question "What's for dinner?" With a short succinct reply - "Fried Arseholes." I'm on good terms with my butcher so I'm thinking that the next time they annoy me, I'm not only going to tell them that, but I"m going to serve it as well.

Barf on a plate never looked so good.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
you forgot to add the option - the room where my husband goes to cook me dinner. lol
I don't like you anymore...

:D--kidding, of course.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I swear I'd buy Cream of Wheat, call it gruel, and serve that for dinner for a week.

Yeah, I don't plan on having kids ;)

My Ex was a joy-sucker, too. He liked mac and cheese with hotdogs in it every single night. I liked things sauteed with a sauce. Or jambalaya, etc. He wouldn't even ever do the dishes.

I used to love to cook, but having a family sucked the joy right out of it. When they were little it used to go like this;

or my favourite

"YUCK!"

Now that they are bigger (and apparently still don't know which side their bread is buttered on) it's a lot of eye rolls, suspicious sniffing, and general mutters of discontent at my apparent disregard to their culinary wishes and complete puzzlement at my strange refusal to have only hamburgers, spaghetti and pizza on the meal rotation. However, I haven't heard "YUCK" in a few years so I'm thinking progress has been made.

BTW When my dad was little his British mother used to respond to the age old question "What's for dinner?" With a short succinct reply - "Fried Arseholes." I'm on good terms with my butcher so I'm thinking that the next time they annoy me, I'm not only going to tell them that, but I"m going to serve it as well.

Reaction score
I don't cook because I've no-one to cook for. If I was in a relationship, of course I'd make sure my loved one ate good, healthy meals. It's just me though so I heat up junk in the oven, wait for it to burn, scrape off the charcoal and eat what's left.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score

or my favourite

"YUCK!"

We have strict rules against complaining. They eat what's fixed or they go hungry. If they complain they are free to leave the table and go straight to bed. I won't put up with that kind of crap not after all the work I put into cooking. It's thankfully rare that they don't like supper and I do listen if it's something like too much onion or what not.

But from day one it was you will take one bite of everything served and if you don't like it well you can either not eat it and go hungry or you can eat it and at least you have a full stomach.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have strict rules against complaining. They eat what's fixed or they go hungry. If they complain they are free to leave the table and go straight to bed. I won't put up with that kind of crap not after all the work I put into cooking. It's thankfully rare that they don't like supper and I do listen if it's something like too much onion or what not.
I'm the same way. Complaining about the food at the table is just plain bad manners.

But from day one it was you will take one bite of everything served and if you don't like it well you can either not eat it and go hungry or you can eat it and at least you have a full stomach.
I handle this a little differently. I stay out of their plates entirely, never fussing over what they have or haven't eaten or demanding they taste things.

Commenting on what's on someone's plate is just plain bad manners.

If I serve something they genuinely detest, they may fill up on the other things on the table.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the same way. Complaining about the food at the table is just plain bad manners.

I handle this a little differently. I stay out of their plates entirely, never fussing over what they have or haven't eaten or demanding they taste things.

Commenting on what's on someone's plate is just plain bad manners.

If I serve something they genuinely detest, they may fill up on the other things on the table.

The bite is so they taste it. Because more often than not they say they hate something when they haven't even tried it and end up loving it. I don't ever serve them food they severely dislike twice and there is generally enough variety at each meal that if they don't like one thing there's plenty of the others. I also don't subscribe to the clean plate club and there have been a few times when peanut butter sandwiches have been served as an alternate if they are truly miserable but I won't stand for complaining, not in my house.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I have been cooking for family since I was 8 years old.
I love to cook and experiment.
Don't like baking.
But in my next life I will marry a man who enjoys eating different things.
steak and potatoes for 34 years gets boring.

That would be my nightmare. I'm so lucky. My husband is wonderful, and will eat whatever i put in front of him, thank me for it, and usually enjoy it.

The only things he doesn't like are beets and sushi, and he's not overly fond of green beans. I've got it SOOO easy!!

Last edited: