Not open for further replies.

Shiny

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score

friendlyhobo

Registered
Reaction score
I get most of my gay (though admittedly mostly lesbian) news from Autostraddle.com, so if people haven't heard of it, there it is. It is in no way complete coverage though. They have quite a few good (amusing and informative) articles about the Prop 8 trial.

ShootingStarsMag

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I figured instead of making a new post, this might work...I started an LGBT Entertainment Blog suited for YA and up:

http://letsgetbeyondtolerance.blogspot.com/

If you want to follow now or spread the word, that's great. There will be an actual release with fun things late August/September!! Leave your ideas in the comments there if you have any.

friendlyhobo

Registered
Reaction score

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
This really isn't news, but this story seems to be a pretty comprehensive roundup of the Lt. Dan Choi story in his protests against DADT (for non-americans, the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy preventing gays and lesbians from serving openly in our military and discharging them if they come out even privately sometimes).

Anyway, since I didn't follow the whole story from the beginning I thought this was interesting and thought others might too.

friendlyhobo

Registered
Reaction score
Trans Protections for Housing Implemented

I think it would be sweet if peeps keep posting where they find links, or other sweet queer news sites and blogs. I pretty much just stick to autostraddle and jezebel, but, you know, its because I like celebrity gossip too much and I would like some real news that ISN'T sandwiched between things about Lady Gaga and the Real Housewives of New Jersey :D

Also, follow up on bookwyrme's Dan Choi/DADT coverage.

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the appropriate place to put this but I saw an article one of my FB friends had on their wall. Ticked me off.

"Target, practically everyone's favorite discount retail store, is headquartered in Minnesota, the land of 10,000 lakes. But along with precious bodies of water, Minnesota is home to some pretty rabid anti-gay politicians and groups. Among them include Tom Emmer. And Target, it seems, is apparently filling his campaign coffers with nearly $150,000."

http://gayrights.change.org/blog/view/targets_150000_donation_to_fund_anti-gay_politics

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a news story from Texas that's just incredible:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_firefighter_transgender_widow

In short, a mother who lost her son, a firefighter, in a recent blaze, is sueing his wife to prevent her from getting his insurance money. Why, you ask? Because the man's wife is a transsexual and since Texas'es state constitution bans gay marriage, his marriage should be voided.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A quote from the ruling:

An initiative measure adopted by the voters deserves great respect. The considered views and opinions of even the most highly qualified scholars and experts seldom outweigh the determinations of the voters. When challenged, however, the voters’ determinations must find at least some support in evidence. This is especially so when those determinations enact into law classifications of persons. Conjecture, speculation and fears are not enough. Still less will the moral disapprobation of a group of class of citizens suffice, no matter how large the majority that shares that view. The evidence demonstrated beyond serious reckoning that Proposition 8 finds support only in such disapproval. As such, Proposition 8 is beyond the constitutional reach of the voters or their representatives.

friendlyhobo

Registered
Reaction score
Why did I think I was going to get here first to disseminate the news of the day? Silly me:hooray: Especially because I first heard it on a national news source (NPR while washing dishes) as opposed to most of my qltbag news being found on specialized internet sources.

Is anyone else already stressing about the next round of appeals and supreme court possibilities?

Deleted member 42

You can see the actual decision by Judge Walker here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/35374462/Prop-8-Ruling-FINAL

It is already viral in the sense that Scribd said shortly after it was posted it was the most popular document in the history of the site.

It's a .pdf.

I really do encourage you to download and read it; it's cogent, and well-argued.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
Having a blast on Anne Rice's Facebook with the Prop 8 news. I am SO happy! I hope that everyone who can get to CA or lives there is able to take advantage when marriages are able to commence. Congratulations and lots of love to everyone working towards equality.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Australia is so backwards - no state here has legal gay marriage. I should become a politician just to make gay marriage legal all over Australia. (Yeah, like it's that simple...)

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Why did I think I was going to get here first to disseminate the news of the day?
Don't feel bad, I only was so quick with it because I happened to be on Twitter when the decision was handed down, and Twitter then EXPLODED. It was a good 20-30 minutes later before any of the lgbt-news sites I frequent had it. Also, I checked, and at the time 7 of the 11 trending topics in North America dealt with the Decision in some way. I dunno why that tickles me so much but it does.

Is anyone else already stressing about the next round of appeals and supreme court possibilities?
No, but I'm a bit of a pollyanna sometimes. No doubt I'll become cynical again in due-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.