PDA

View Full Version : When re-querying after a revision what subject line do you use?

YoursEvermore
07-16-2010, 01:28 AM
A couple months ago, Agent Awesome read my full MS and very politely rejected it based on how it was. She gave lots of helpful feedback and said if I ever re-worked it, she wanted to take another look. So, speed forward, it's been re-worked and I'm getting ready to send it to her again.

Do I use the standard "Query" in the subject line of the e-mail?

Or, do I say "Re-query"?

And then, do I address it as "Dear Awesome Agent's first name"? (Throughout our e-mail exchanges, she did cut back to using just her first name.) Or do I revert back to the formality and use "Dear Agent's last name" until we re-establish communication?

Sorry if this a bunch of little nitpicky questions, but I don't want to blow my chances by offending her right off the bat (even though she doesn't seem the type) or by doing some huge rookie mistake.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Ryan_Sullivan
07-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Personally, I'm one for formality, so I'd use the last name for a bit--but if she signed it with just first, then you're fine to do so. If you're just sending the query, then you might as well put "query" in the box--when she reads it, she'll know its a re-query anyway. If you're sending the manuscript with it, you could always put "re-submission" in the subject line. All in all, I don't think it'll matter much.

YoursEvermore
07-16-2010, 01:51 AM
Is it ok to just send the full MS again? Or send her a refresher e-mail and wait to see if she asks for it?

Ryan_Sullivan
07-16-2010, 02:37 AM
Hm. Good question. It depends on what she said. If she asked you to resubmit, I don't see why you couldn't--I doubt it would be a problem. If you do attach it, you should put something like "re-submission" in the subject, and definitely still include a refresher note. I would definitely suggest detailing what you did to revise it in the letter (Tina Wexler mentioned this in a Q&A at caseylmccormick.blogspot.com).

YoursEvermore
07-16-2010, 02:39 AM
Thank you so much for all your help, Ryan!

AnnieColleen
07-16-2010, 03:18 AM
If you still have the previous email where she asked you to re-submit, one suggestion I've seen is to reply to that email, so she can scroll down and see the previous correspondence right there.

Ryan_Sullivan
07-16-2010, 03:36 AM
If you still have the previous email where she asked you to re-submit, one suggestion I've seen is to reply to that email, so she can scroll down and see the previous correspondence right there.

Yes, that! It's always best to reply.

Shady Lane
07-16-2010, 04:13 AM
If she used her first name, you use her first name. It reads passive aggressive to go back to ms. lastname after someone's essentially told you to call them by their first name.

tangentially, if an agent ever replies to you with "Dear Ashley," that's a sign that you should do first name as well. "Dear Ms. YoursEvermore," and you'd stay with the last name. just follow her lead.

YoursEvermore
07-16-2010, 04:22 AM
Thanks Annie and Shady! I definitely kept her e-mail, since it had all of the suggestions in it. And I never even thought about the passive-aggressive thing! I just didn't want to look like I was crossing a respect line by being all chummy after a couple months of, you know, not talking.