Author Agreement Collaboration Clause...

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
Do any of you agented authors have a Collaboration Clause of sorts in your author agreement or contract (with your agent)?

I'm just trying to figure out what to do here because mine does not have one (I have not signed yet, just reviewed it this week) and I am actually working on a collaborated project (which has until now been separate from my agent - it just recently happened and I've just informed him of it now that it seems like it may actually have a shot). So since I actually have something in the works, it seems like it definitely needs to be addressed.

However my one agented friend that does have a collaboration clause in her agreement, the clause states that the agent gets 15% of the entire deal, not 15% of her part of the deal...which makes sense, but in my case I'm sure my collaborator (who has most of the contacts and relationships and has thus far done that part of the hard work) would not be okay with that deal and it could easily end up sticking me with paying 30% of my half of the deal to cover the full 15%...which is...A LOT.

Any thoughts?

Of course I've asked my agent directly about this and I'm sure he'll get back to me on it shortly, but I just wondered what you guys thought or if you had any experience with it?

Last edited:

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
What is your friend's contract for? If it was for a different book and the terms/time had been met, she should have some room to adjust. It's in both of your best interest to ask your agents about this--you may end up using one of your agents to represent the work in general, rather than one for each. If you do end up with one for each, you should be able to negotiate.

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
Well, (and I apologize in advance for confusion and lack of clarity) the other friend (who has a literary agent agreement for a specific work and all other full length print works) is not the friend I'm collaborating with.

The friend I'm collaborating with is an artist (it's a graphic novel project) and he does not have an agent and so far prefers to keep it that way.

It's possible that he would agree to have my agent try to pitch and negotiate this project for us, and certainly if we did that he'd have to be willing to give the agent the necessary fee, but if he's able to get the deal on his own, he's not going to want to give up 7.5% of his deal for my agent, just because I'm agented...you know? And depending on how it's addressed in my agreement (it's currently not addressed at all) I could end up paying 30% of my half to make up the full commission.

Like I said, I did ask my agent and am just waiting for his response. It's possible that he won't even want anything to do with the potential project because he reps YA/Childrens and this is Adult.

Just thought I'd put feelers out and see if anyone had any experience with collaboration clauses or similar situations.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Excuse me, but I find this incredibly confusing, almost to the point of disbelief. How did you originally submit your adult work to an agent, with graphics of some sort, and not mention that the graphics were done by someone else? Since agents know that in more than 90% of cases the publisher will select the illustrator, how could you simply assume that the graphics you sent in (with no mention of where they came from) would be accepted by an agent and hopefully by a publisher? It happens, but it's somewhat like the needle in a haystack. Frankly, I'm surprised the agent isn't up tight about your recent admission and request, but even if she agrees to rep you and the illustrator I can't imagine her not demanding a total of 15% -- which she's entitled to.

But maybe I don't understand just what you're asking.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, that makes a bit more sense.

Generally, I believe, you would only really do separate agents if it was more of a long term thing. Agents aren't really going to want to do all that work for 7.5%. It's probably best for him to agree to have your agent represent both of you for the project. I'd just explain to your friend that it's advantageous to both of you, since you will likely get more with the agent. You're friend can sign probably sign a contract that is good only for that project. Although, if your agent doesn't rep that, then there may be no conflict anyway.

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
@Ryan_Sullivan: Yeah, that's my instinct as well. Thanks for your thoughts.

@Scope: You're WAY misunderstanding (which is understandable as the question - and all the circumstances are rather confusing).

The gist is this. I have a YA (prose) novel. I have been working exclusively with an agent on revisions for that book for nearly a year. We recently locked the revisions and are preparing to go out on submission. As we are prepping for sub, we are also in the process of signing the author agreement which he recently sent to me. In that agreement I noticed there was no "collaboration clause" of any kind.

In the last week (but before I was sent the author agreement), a good friend of mine and published comic book writer/artist was lamenting that he had no comic books or graphic novels to pitch to his editors that he was going to see in San Diego at the Comic Con. I reminded him of a project we had discussed working together on a ways back. He said "okay, let's do it". He does not have an agent (and in the past has been a bit resistant to it).

Because he is already published and has an editor at a comics publisher he is/was going to pitch the project himself which will include my "pitch", synopsis, first issue (more if they want it) along with some of his character designs for the project.

In comics, unlike in children's book illustration work (etc.), it is common and in fact most often necessary to go into the project/pitch with either an artist attached or some art work already prepared. In his case, because he has worked with them and is well-known we're hoping we do not need penciled pages and that character designs will be enough (we'll see).

So I was just looking to see if anyone had any experiences that related to this kind of strange complicated situation I find myself in. The questions, if I broke them down would probably be:

1. Does anyone have any experience with this situation - i.e. with working with an agent or agents on a collaboration?

2. How does your collaboration clause look if you have one?

3. Is it possible that an agent, not unlike foreign rights sometimes do, would up the fee (to maybe 20%) so that there's room for two agents to share? Or does it not allow for that and require that we would each give up 15% to each agent?

4. Can my agent just represent us both and if so is it just 15% for the project rather than 15% for each author?

5. Can I just have an exception written into the agreement for this one project if my agent isn't interested in representing it, etc.?

Again, I've openly talked to my agent about all this (via email) and asked all the necessary questions (I think) but I just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone was all "been there, done that, here's what we did..."

Last edited:

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
To answer a few of the questions at the end, yes, I believe the agent can do it for two of his clients for the same 15%. If co-agented, the 20% is a possibility, and if your agent doesn't feel he can rep it, he'll likely have no problem allowing/recommending somebody else to do so. And, as a note, my contract doesn't have a collaboration clause either.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I bow out. I know nothing about comic books, although I read and collected them as a kid, and I still don't really understand your questions.

Good luck.

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
Just to update you guys (or you Ryan) my agent got back to me and let me know that there were a few different ways we could work it out and he was willing to be flexible and we'd just take it as it comes. Which is kind of all I wanted to hear beyond making him aware of the new/potential project.

So all is well. We will either sign the agreement as is with no collaboration clause (most likely as I don't want to slow down the submission of my book and I get the feeling the agreement will end up in legal for who knows how long if we make changes) or we will possibly add an exception to this one project and then address it separately if it actually takes off.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone - sorry it was so confusing!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Never needed such a clause. I've done collaborations a couple of times, and teh agent just treated the book like any other I'd written.

The publishers contract covered everything that needed to be covered, including who got paid what, etc.