Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I'm always slightly uncomfortable when reading reports like this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...e-can-be-turned-lesbian-by-deleting-gene.html

I always get the sense that the focus of this kind of research is to find a "cure" for homosexuality. If a genetic cause for homosexuality is found, does that mean that there will be a therapy for homosexuality?

I may be in tin-foil-hat-land, of course, but as I said I always get a vague feeling of nausea thinking about it. And I think back to when I was a kid growing up with the Big Secret - if someone had offered me a pill, I would most likely have taken it.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
There is a section from Winston Churchill's Finest Hour speech which comes to my mind and which I paraphrase here ... the whole world, including the United States ...will sink into the abyss of a new dark age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science.
C

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if science will ever have a test to determine at birth if someone is going to be a Baptist, Lutheran, Catholic, or Scientologist? Or maybe a Republican or Democrat...

friendlyhobo

Registered
Reaction score
I read a short sci-fi story where in the future most gays were catholic because when they discovered prenatal gay screening, the church still was anti-abortion.
You'd think there would be other more important things for these people to be researching. Like genetic diseases that actually affect people's health.

Deleted member 42

Here's part of the reason this article is shite:

Lesbian Mice from the Telegraph said:
Researchers found that disabling the FucM gene – which influences the levels of oestrogen to which the brain is exposed – caused the mice to behave as if they were male as they grew up.

The definition of Lesbian underlying the article is "female mice who act like male mice" which then, in human terms (note the disclaimer in the article about the effects of estrogen/oestrogen) means Lesbians are women who act like men.

False​
Lesbians are women who are sexually and emotionally and romantically attracted to other women.

Women are infinitely varied in our traits, our abilities, our natures, and our skill sets.

You might almost think we were sentient.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
There is so much fail in that article. Medievalist already pointed it out.

If anything, this is making transsexual mice, not lesbian mice. You'd think if they were going through all the trouble of doing this project, they'd do some very basic research into what "lesbian" means.

EDIT: It is possible that the journalists doing the article just cherry-picked a really complex explanation by the scientists and twisted it to mean what they wanted it to mean. That happens a lot with science journalism, from what I've seen.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think research into a genetic cause for homosexuality is necessarily homophobic in nature. But it is easily and often turned that way.

I can't tell if that incorrect line in this article is just the journalists' misunderstanding/simplification or the scientists'.

But after all, there is a genetic reason for the male and female sex, so it stands to reason there could be a genetic reason for gender as well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

But after all, there is a genetic reason for the male and female sex, so it stands to reason there could be a genetic reason for gender as well.

I think there are likely multiple reasons behind sex determination, and no it's not just xx and xy, and behind gender, and again, it's not just m, f, n (you know there are human languages with as many as six genders?), and yeah, sexual orientation and specific attraction.

But there's also the thing that we are sentient, (or some of us are . . . ) and we DO have volition and self-determination.

And we do fall in love, and we find we like some things, and some people, and not others. And that, I'm convinced is not necessarily genetic at all and that it's at least part experiential.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
You'd think there would be other more important things for these people to be researching. Like genetic diseases that actually affect people's health.

Article spin, after the results. They weren't interested, primarily, in the sexual behaviour of mice; they were interested in the FucM gene. (How do you pronounce that?)

Here's the study. This is what they're saying:

The most apparent abnormality was a mutant female avoiding a normal male partner in the regular mating cage, while a slight loss in body weight and minor behavioral change were occasionally observed for the hetero- or homozygous mutant animals (data not shown). Thus, we systematically analyzed the reproductive behaviors of FucM mutant mice.

They were researching sexual behaviour because that's where they observed the biggest difference between altered and un-altered mice.

I didn't read all of the article, because, frankly, I don't understand half of it. But it's clear they weren't making "lesbian mice". They were replacing one gene with another and observing the difference. Also, I have trouble judging how big the effect is; I'd have to look in more detail at the statistics. It's clear that there's a continuum in behaviour, though, rather than a clear cut either/or difference.

Here's a better (= more detailed) summary than the original link (though it's probably still overstating the result).

This quote (from the above article) pretty much shows that their focus is purely biological:

Speaking about the results, Park said: "We speculate that these behavioural changes are likely to be related to a neurodevelopmental change in pre-optic area of the female mutant brain , becoming similar to that of a normal male".

thothguard51 said:
I wonder if science will ever have a test to determine at birth if someone is going to be a Baptist, Lutheran, Catholic, or Scientologist? Or maybe a Republican or Democrat...

Are we still talking about mice? (That's raw material for an Onion article, lol.)

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
So how long until we see hot girl-on-girl mice action?

I wanna see Gadget from Rescue Rangers and Minnie Mouse! *gets popcorn*

Seriously though, what exactly were they originally trying to determine with this experiment? Because that joke above seems like it's almost a valid reason for something this weird.

Shiny

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Look up Dr. Maria New giving dexamethasone to pregnant mothers. It's clear from her comments that she considers homosexual, bisexual or masculine behaviours as abnormal in girls. The drug is experimental and no one really knows what it'll do in the long term to those babies. (It's also being used to stop intersex people from being intersex before they have a say in it, which is already a vexed issue in the intersex community).

Here's an article on it:
http://www.thehastingscenter.org/Bioethicsforum/Post.aspx?id=4754&blogid=140

...the use of prenatal dexamethasone treatments for CAH represents, to our knowledge, the first systematic medical effort attached to a “paradigm” of attempting in utero to reduce rates of homosexuality, bisexuality, and “low maternal interest.”

That this is a goal, whether or not it works, truly terrifies me.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Experiments where mice genes are damaged/mutated/replaced are done all the time. They're trying to figure out what everything does, and knocking out a gene is the easiest way to see that. It's not an unusual experiment type at all. There'll be a day when they've tested every mouse gene.

I'm sure the media latched onto this one for the 'lesbian mice!' headline potential. Most mouse gene studies go unnoticed.

And despite the reporting, it's probable that the scientists were testing something else entirely. Female mice may have different behavior patterns than male mice that have nothing to do with sexuality, and everything to do with, say, maze navigation, reactions to predators, behavior in light vs darkness, how often they want to eat, whether they sleep in the left corner versus the right corner, et cetera ad nauseum. Comparative psychologists do good work, but my GOD their subject is boring. :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I think the search for the gay gene will extend to the womb and then will lead to the choice of aborting the fetus. I hope it's never found if it does exist.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. That woman isn't just sexist but also just plain insane. Of course there's also the hypocrisy that she herself is in a non-traditional role. If she believes what she says about women, shouldn't she be home baking a pie or pumping out babies?

That was my first thought, too...

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This study has me scratching my head:
The New Zealand Mental Health Survey by the University of Otago in Christchurch has found that people identifying themselves as gay, lesbian, bisexual or having had same-sex encounters are more likely to have experienced events such as sexual assault and violence in the home as children. Study researcher, Associate Professor Elisabeth Wells, said the more adverse events experienced in childhood, the more likely someone was to belong to one of the groups other than heterosexual.
What they haven't considered, I think, is the possibility that QLTBAG people may be more likely to discuss/admit to adverse events experienced in childhood.

Homophobia isn't nearly as bad in New Zealand as it is in the USA (NZ has legalised same sex civil unions). But I reckon that the frequency of QLTBAG in the NZ population would be similar to the US or elsewhere, and this bit seemed off to me:

The study questioned 13,000 people aged 16 and over on mental health issues. Ninety-eight per cent of the respondents identified themselves as heterosexual, compared to 0.8 per cent identifying themselves as homosexual, 0.6 per cent as bisexual and 0.3 per cent as "something else".
Is it reasonable that just 2% of the population would be self-identified as QLTBAG?

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Is it reasonable that just 2% of the population would be self-identified as QLTBAG?

Sounds kind of low. But then it's been known for years that when it comes to surveys about sex then people will lie. Even if the survey answers won't be linked to their name and will remain forever anonymous they still lie. Even if they've volunteered to answer the questions knowing in advance they are about sex they still lie.

When it comes to sex people are basically big fat liars. :tongue

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That does seem low. Most of the numbers I've seen range from 8-10% for people who identify as any form of QLTBAG. This is just based on what I remember reading--I don't have any sources handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.