How do you listen to audiobooks?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
There's a story that I can currently only find in audiobook format, so I'm gonna listen to it that way.
Only problem is, the idea of sitting down just to listen to something sounds horribly boring, but trying to do something simultaneously is probably beyond me.

How do you handle listening to audiobooks?

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I knit, so for me, audiobooks are a great way to 'read' books, while on my lunch break at work. I can eat and not get food on the pages, and then I can knit without having to hold down the book, or try to turn the pages.

So, it's good for mindless tasks - folding laundry, tidying rooms, mopping floors :)

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I listen to them in the car or on my iPod.

Great for when you get stuck in traffic. I also listen while I'm on my breaks at work when I get the chance.

Go to the park, or somewhere that has plenty to look at but isn't overstimulating. It should be enjoyable, not tedious.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I listen to audiobooks when I have some mindless task at work or at home. For example, at home if I'm cleaning the kitchen, or at work if I'm mounting worms on slides. These things take very little of my attention, so I put on an audiobook to occupy my mind.

A suggestion: Do a preview of the audiobook and make sure it's a voice you're willing to listen to for so many hours. I've had audiobooks I might have enjoyed in book form, but I just couldn't stand the narrator after a while.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... don't that often, but when I do it is critical to get ones read by excellent speakers. Otherwise they will indeed put you to sleep. Look for ones read by acclaimed actors. Most of those I've listened to were really good and I had no problem tuning in. The Barnes & Nobles by me has a good selection, but costly too :-(

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
My current commute is about 5 minutes, so I don't really listen to them as much as I used to, but I always listened to them on the car when I had a real commute. I loved it. I hate driving, so it was a great way for me to pass the time. In theory I listen to them when I work out, too, but at the rate I work out, I only get through about a book a year that way. :D

Sage is right though. The wrong narrator can totally ruin the experience of listening to a book. I've had to stop listening to a few because I couldn't deal with it.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
On my computer. I'm usually at it anyways...

Actually I don't recall listening to an audiobook other than ten years ago when I was riding with someone else to Alabama.

I do listen to a few podcasts and often Fresh Air and Marketplace if I miss them on the local PBS station's streaming simulcast. I was listening to the skepticality podcast, and I've been unhappy with the audio quality. There's a bit of distortion or something, and it's a bit annoying to listen to. Is this a common problem with podcasts? I've noticed bad audio quality with a lot of Youtube videos.