Is Writer's Digest useful at ALL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelcheese

Registered
Reaction score
I've been skeptical about the magazine Writer's Digest for quite some time. I read it, and often see conflicting advice for writers, sometimes in subsequent issues, and occasionally even in the same issue. Also fueling my questioning is that the advertisements are generally for POD, vanity, and subsidy publishers, that feed on the income of authors, not on readers. I don't like thinking about how many authors have been suckered by the "publishers" that advertise in Writer's Digest over the years.

Am I wrong for feeling this way? Is there any decent advice in the magazine at all, and I'm just looking at it the wrong way?

Please clarify this for me.

Deleted member 42

When I look at a journal about, oh, Medieval literature, I look at the authors and ask myself:

Do I recognize any of these names?

Have these authors written anything I know?

Do these authors have an education or experience in their background that suggests they are better informed than I am?

Are they providing information that I think is worth paying for?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I think WD serves to acquaint very new writers with some vocabulary, jargon, concepts, and so on -- and to be fair, writing advice is often contradictory. But many writers do indeed seem to outgrow the magazine after a while.

Michael_T

Physicist posing as a novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere, I think Uncle Jim's thread, I've heard it compared to a bridal magazine. It's useful for about a year to get you aquainted, but then everything essentially gets recycled...and if you haven't gotten married after a year then it's just not happening. Married in this sense is 'familiar with the writing world'.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
When I was first starting out, I found many of the articles helpful because it gave me different perspectives and advice on writing. I don't have much need for it now, even though I'm always learning, but it did help me to take my writing more seriously in terms of shooting for my goals. So if it helps you push forward, then it's not a bad thing in my mind :) You just have to be careful and use common sense.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
It's not necessarily that useful, but it can be interesting and entertaining.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I find Writer's Digest fun and interesting to read, but it has been getting more repetitive. I never pay attention to their advertisements, because they are mostly for self publishing or other services that I am not interested in.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I've been skeptical about the magazine Writer's Digest for quite some time. I read it, and often see conflicting advice for writers, sometimes in subsequent issues, and occasionally even in the same issue. Also fueling my questioning is that the advertisements are generally for POD, vanity, and subsidy publishers, that feed on the income of authors, not on readers. I don't like thinking about how many authors have been suckered by the "publishers" that advertise in Writer's Digest over the years.

Am I wrong for feeling this way? Is there any decent advice in the magazine at all, and I'm just looking at it the wrong way?

Please clarify this for me.
I haven't read WD for a long time. When the advertisements seemed to outweigh decent articles I stopped buying it. As for conflicting advice, advice is really just one person's opinion anyway so take it all with a grain of salt. If the advice resonates with you then you might be inclined to follow it. If it doesn't you probably shouldn't.
Magazines need advertisers. It's up to the writer to do their due diligence and check out 'publishers' before submitting to them.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Most publications aren't responsible for the content in their advertisements. They're responsible for selling enough space to keep the magazine in production. The reader's responsibility is to check out the businesses being advertised.

I pick up WD on occasion and skim the articles. Sometimes they give me a different perspective which injects new life into my writing.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I think WD serves to acquaint very new writers with some vocabulary, jargon, concepts, and so on -- and to be fair, writing advice is often contradictory. But many writers do indeed seem to outgrow the magazine after a while.

I've started feeling the same about a magazine in the UK called Writing Magazine.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
It's alright. But that's it. After a while you notice that it just rehashes the same old articles time and time again,.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
I found my agent through a Writer's Digest article (note: I said ARTICLE, not ADVERTISEMENT).

It's useful for some things. :)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've only looked at their website, and I thought it was confusing; too much going on for this guy. Had I stuck around and learned the site I'm sure it would have been much more useful.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I subscribed to the WD website for one year, but I found the free Agent Query and Query Tracker websites much more useful and up to date, and, of course, our own dear Bewares and Background Checks forum.

As for writing advice, you can get that free all over the Internet. And again, right here!

WD magazine is good for beginners to learn the jargon. Someone just needs to give them the caveat emptor speech on the ads.

rebelcheese

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, AgentQuery and Query Tracker are far more useful than WD.

I think that's what happened to me, I wound up outgrowing it after a while. Though I wonder sometimes if I outgrew it before I began reading it, because I learned how to write the hard way through trial and error, as well as making many face impressions on the desk or wall.

It is useful to see what editors and agents are looking for, though. I queried an agent after an interview with him in WD, as he mentioned what he was looking for in YA and I think I have a pretty good match.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's okay, and there are some good articles, but a lot of the writing advice is stuff I've seen before (or, in some cases, is republished directly from writing books I own), and lately I've noticed that more and more just doesn't seem to be relevant to me and my interests.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to pick up WD now and again if an article caught my eye, but the last time I flipped through it (which was within the past year) I saw the editor touting Poor Man's Copyright as a good thing to do. After seeing that, I wrote it off entirely.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer Poets and Writers. It leans a little more toward literary/academia, but it's a great resource.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, for online resources it lists AW, so it can't be ALL bad... ;)
Somewhere, I think Uncle Jim's thread, I've heard it compared to a bridal magazine. It's useful for about a year to get you aquainted, but then everything essentially gets recycled...and if you haven't gotten married after a year then it's just not happening. Married in this sense is 'familiar with the writing world'.
I've read that about a lot of magazines, that it's a basic formula for many magazines. I think the author I was reading was talking about writing for Men's Health, that after a year or so the same sort of topics come up over and over again, and there are just newly written articles saying the same old thing. There's a lot of turnover in readership, but they pick up new readers through advertising and newsstand exposure or wherever.
If anyone advertises in WD, cross them right off your list.
That's kind of what I thought.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's okay, and there are some good articles, but a lot of the writing advice is stuff I've seen before (or, in some cases, is republished directly from writing books I own), and lately I've noticed that more and more just doesn't seem to be relevant to me and my interests.

I think this sums it up really. It's a good resource for those starting out, but there's only so many times you can read the same 'top ten tips' articles.

I certainly wouldn't pay for it, you can get the articles online for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.