Need to Rant

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I really need to let off some steam.

Okay, a friend of mine and I are having an issue. I started noticing when weeks went by and there was a lot of silence between us, which is unusual. We used to chat almost daily. I kept bouncing between thinking she was mad at me or just busy, and finally I talked to a mutual friend of ours and found out what was up. Now that I know, I've tried to get her to contact me so we can talk this out but I kept getting ignored. I know (via the mutual friend) that she's bothered by this issue and she doesn't want to lose the friendship, but seeing her clearly avoiding talking about it to me and acting like everything's all right to everyone else has just made me so mad I don't know if I believe it anymore. I keep wavering between wait-and-see if she'll eventually speak up or just forget the whole friendship. My brain can't comprehend this, I never thought she'd act like this when we had a huge issue. Anyway, had to let that off my chest.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:

Can you call/go to her house/email her and say hey, let's hash this out?

I'm sorry. It's hard when a friend backs off, esp. if you're not totally sure why.

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
More :Hug2:

All you can do is try. If she won't respond to an email saying 'I don't want to lose the friendship. Let's talk about this and deal with it so we can move on,' then it becomes her problem.

You've tried, she won't come to the party, there's nothing more you can do about it. She's the one with the issue. If she really wants to save your friendship, she'll have to face up to it eventually.

But on the other hand, give her a bit of time. I don't know what the issue is or what her personality is like, but she may be having a hard time working up the courage to talk about it. I find it very hard to talk about some things face to face. I'd just let her know that you'll leave communication open for when she's ready. I'd never say 'this is it, I don't want to speak to you again,' because that helps nothing.

Anyway, there you go, that's my two cents for this early in the morning.

Good luck. And it's good to have a rant. We all need that sometimes. :Hug2:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
M.R...

I once lost a friend and I could never understand why or what happened, though I suspected what the problem was. It seemed the more I pressed the issue, the worse things got. This went on for months and months. I had a talk with a mutual friend of ours who took no sides in the issue. She explained that while she understood I needed closure, that does not mean the other person is ready to give closure. I let it go because we are godparents to each others kids. We both stayed cordial at social events, but there was always a difference other people could see...

A year later, my lost friend shows up at my door one night and asked if we could talk. We sat in the kitchen till the wee hrs drinking coffee and talked about many things. Was it fair I had to wait till she was ready? Was it fair for her to return after all that distance and expect me to understand? The truth is, I didn't care because she was my best friend. She had problems to work out and this was not about me, though at times it sure as hell felt like it. Today, we are once again the same good friends we used to be, but with a better understanding of each other than before...

This event made us and our families even closer...

Not sure if this helps, but I hope it gives you some insight...

Last edited:

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry guys for waiting, I hate leaving responses unreplied to. I've been trying to keep occupied.

Basically the issue was that I went through a depressive period for nearly a month, and because of the way our chats had started going I stopped talking about things that were bothering me. I didn't feel like I had the time, she'd come on, talk about what was bothering her and then she'd have to go. Other times I plain out didn't feel like it. So she stopped talking to me, wouldn't answer messages, etc. and I thought she was mad. Well it turned out she was just upset that I stopped talking about my problems and her way to deal with it apparently was to avoid me. I'm not sure why she thought that was ideal. She finally messaged me back a week ago to my message that we should talk, but the two times she suggested we meet online to chat she's not shown up.

This whole thing has drained me, I feel like I don't even have the energy anymore to put into discussing this issue. It still bugs me, but I'm at the point where I just want to move on from it now.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:

Don't give up. She may have a good reason why she couldn't meet. Are you able to meet up face to face?

No, she lives in the US and I live in Canada. But honestly, when I see her doing stuff online I have a hard time believing that she 'has a good reason'. Maybe I'm just feeling a little bitter, I don't know.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry guys for waiting, I hate leaving responses unreplied to. I've been trying to keep occupied.

Basically the issue was that I went through a depressive period for nearly a month, and because of the way our chats had started going I stopped talking about things that were bothering me. I didn't feel like I had the time, she'd come on, talk about what was bothering her and then she'd have to go. Other times I plain out didn't feel like it. So she stopped talking to me, wouldn't answer messages, etc. and I thought she was mad. Well it turned out she was just upset that I stopped talking about my problems and her way to deal with it apparently was to avoid me. I'm not sure why she thought that was ideal. She finally messaged me back a week ago to my message that we should talk, but the two times she suggested we meet online to chat she's not shown up.

This whole thing has drained me, I feel like I don't even have the energy anymore to put into discussing this issue. It still bugs me, but I'm at the point where I just want to move on from it now.

Can you tell her exactly what you've said here? Maybe leave out the part about her not having time to listen to you ("she'd have to go") but if I were in her shoes and was offered this explanation (going through a funk where you couldn't talk about stuff) I would understand completely. Or at least that would get us talking again.