PDA

View Full Version : For DC and surrounding area residents

Ruth2
07-13-2010, 07:18 PM
For those of you who live in DC, especially close to the Georgetown/Embassy Row area-- do you refer to Georgetown University as "Georgetown" or "University".

The first line of my WIP talks about a pub located about "halfway between Embassy Row and the university." When I lived in Fairfax County, any time someone referred to "the university" in DC, we knew it was Georgetown they were talking about. But my beta suggested I write out the name of the university. Since the pov is 1st person, I want to sound like someone who works there (female MC is a professor there) and not a tourist.

So.. which is better??? Thanks for any info or suggestions you give.

ruth

mtrenteseau
07-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I think the quote sounds right - although I suppose you might say something was "in Georgetown, between Embassy Row and the University" to make it more clear to outsiders.

Perks
07-13-2010, 10:54 PM
The context would have to be university specific to automatically realize that you were talking about the campus. 'Georgetown' most often refers to the area - the shops, galleries, restaurants. Or if you're of a certain age, it always means the bars.

I grew up in the area, so I'm happy to help if you need me.

lnmorton
07-14-2010, 01:01 AM
I and my friends say 'Georgetown' and I think people just figure out from context whether we mean the school or the neighborhood. There are a number of universities in DC (Howard, Gallaudet, American, UDC, etc), so if I just said 'the university' people would ask me which one I meant, unless (again) it was obvious from the context.

Ruth2
07-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Thanks all. So I could say "between Embassy Row and Georgetown" and folks who lived there would know by the context? Cool.

I should know this. I used to live off GW Parkway but it's been a long long time...

thothguard51
07-14-2010, 01:31 AM
If you are referencing the Georgetown area of DC in your book, then just say Georgetown. If you are referring to the Georgetown University in Georgetown, then after the first time you mention it, you could just go with GU... Most around here would understand the initials and where its located.

Embassy Row is not really a singular street, but more of a neighborhood, though a lot of embassies have relocated in the past 10-15 years.

Ruth2
07-14-2010, 01:49 AM
Thanks. I had my pub located between the area Embassy Row and the university, but I may drop the Georgetown part and just have it close to Embassy Row.