Not open for further replies.

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
I've looked through every book I have and I cannot find the name of this wildflower I found in our field.

Can anyone help?
yellowwildfl22.jpg

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
I am so not an expert on plants, but I've had an interest in them all my life. It may help the experts out there to see the leafing structure of the plant.

It looks to me to be some sort of daisy (a cone flower relative). Though the thin leaves on the stem remind me of cosmos. I'm sure you thought of those already. Sorry I wasn't more help.

-chris

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
It looks a lot like green-headed coneflower, Rudbeckia laciniata. It blooms this time of year and resembles both regular coneflowers and black-eyed susans. My book, All About Tennessee Wildflowers, says it grows 4-8' tall, has a smooth stem that may be blueish-green, the leaves feel like sandpaper, and it blooms between July and September. Apparently goldfinches like to eat the seeds.

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
veniglory,

Your flower pic looks similar, but seems to have less petals. There are about 12 petals per flower, maybe more. The leaves on mine have smoother edges, just a hint of points on the sides of the leaves, and the upper part of the leaves are a rough/fuzzy feeling. Are your's like that too?

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Saanen,

Thanks. I'll take a look in my wildflower book under those names and see if I can find it.

I have hybrid coneflowers and yes, they do look similar, but much, much smaller.
You're right, they look more like the black-eyed Susan (I have those too), these have greenish yellow ball-type centers, rather than the fuzzy black. LOL

Thanks for the help, I'll check those out now and let you know.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
tiny terror said:
I am so not an expert on plants, but I've had an interest in them all my life. It may help the experts out there to see the leafing structure of the plant.
tiny terror's right: It's important to see not only what the leaves look like, but how they're arranged on the stem. It also helps to know how tall the plant is, how long/wide the leaves/flowers are, when you saw it blooming, and in what environment (a boggy area in full sun in California, a shady woodland in Ontario, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.