• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta for horror/dark fantasy--Ratcatcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a beta for my book Ratcatcher. It's horror/dark fantasy--kind of Caitlin R. Kiernan-esque. It clocks in at about 97,000 words.

The first chapter is here, but it's been revised a little since then: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183896

Here's a working blurb (still rough, hasn't been through query hell yet):

Lark Thomas wants nothing more than to see her favorite rock star Shane Adams play. She's part of the Entourage, fans who follow his band from show to show. Lark sleeps with guys to for places to stay and sells clothes she makes for money. It's not like she really cares. She's been through worse.

The only thing that really bugs her is that creepy fundamentalist Christian activist man that the kids all call Death Man. The one who wanders around in the parking lot after shows, screaming at all of them to go home. Well, that and the fact that other members of the Entourage are disappearing.

When Lark discovers that Death Man is really Shane Adams in disguise, she uses this bargaining chip as a way into the rock star's lifestyle of cocaine, angst, and despair. But he won't tell why he wants his fans to go home.

I'm not looking for a line-by-line or anything arduous. Mostly, I want to know if the story works. I've done some beta reading myself from this forum and have really enjoyed the process. Just getting up the nerve now to request it for myself.

Reply here or PM me if interested. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.