Submarine Help: Bridge vs. Control Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedorable1

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Hello.

I'm having some problems determining the difference between a control room and a bridge on a submarine. I'm at a scene in my WIP in which the main character is brought to see the commander of the ship, and I'm trying to figure which room is which.

If anyone has seen any submarine movies such as Crimson Tide or Hunt for Red October it's the room the vast majority of the action and commands take place.

Also, does the main ladder - which runs up to the top deck - pass through the bridge? I know it passes through the control room.

Last edited:

fedorable1

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. :Shrug:

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
fedorable1 said:
I'm having some problems determining the difference between a control room and a bridge on a submarine.

I think anybody that knows would have to kill you if they told you. :)

Here in Jax, I'd just go on a tour up in King's Bay, about half an hour north. I assume you have no such option handy?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
fedorable1 said:
Hello.

I'm having some problems determining the difference between a control room and a bridge on a submarine. I'm at a scene in my WIP in which the main character is brought to see the commander of the ship, and I'm trying to figure which room is which.

If anyone has seen any submarine movies such as Crimson Tide or Hunt for Red October it's the room the vast majority of the action and commands take place.

Also, does the main ladder - which runs up to the top deck - pass through the bridge? I know it passes through the control room.

Have you tried this: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/warship/wordlog_subs_print.html

If I remember correctly, the bridge is where an order is given, and the control room is where the order is carried out.

The conning tower is now called the "sail," and some modern nuclear submarines don't even have periscopes.

Subs come in several configurations, particularly newer subs, so you may have to hunt around for schematics, if you want to know how a particular class of sub is laid out.

fedorable1

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Alright. Thanks for the link and advice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.