• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta/Grammar, Writing Expert for MG Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alreadydreaming

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I visited the SYW forum for a novel I was working on and turns out I need more help than I thought I did. That novel has been trunked but I’ve been working on a second MG contemporary titled, Alice and Olivia. So if you don't mind reading it and giving me some advice, comment or PM me. Thanks in advance.

It's only two chapters so far.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you need a critique partner or group, and not a beta reader.

Betas generally read the completed manuscript, after it has been revised and polished.

Critique partners often read projects as they're created, helping along the way.

If you're only two chapters in, a critique partner may be more helpful. It can be hard to find good critique groups, but if you spend a little time searching for the right fit, it's worth it in the end. You may want to join SCBWI. I found one of my critique partners there. I think the Verla Kay Blue Boards also have a section dedicated to finding critique groups. Or you can hang out here a bit longer, get to know people, and form groups with the friends you make here (Of my three crit partners, I met two of them here).

Best of luck to you.

:)Smish

Alreadydreaming

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you need a critique partner or group, and not a beta reader.

Betas generally read the completed manuscript, after it has been revised and polished.

Critique partners often read projects as they're created, helping along the way.

If you're only two chapters in, a critique partner may be more helpful. It can be hard to find good critique groups, but if you spend a little time searching for the right fit, it's worth it in the end. You may want to join SCBWI. I found one of my critique partners there. I think the Verla Kay Blue Boards also have a section dedicated to finding critique groups. Or you can hang out here a bit longer, get to know people, and form groups with the friends you make here (Of my three crit partners, I met two of them here).

Best of luck to you.

:)Smish

Thanks, I think I might check out SCBWI.

Status
Not open for further replies.