Whats behind your alias, your handle or sign on name?

Tiaga

Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious as to the thousands of sign-on names or alias names we all use. Is there a significant reason we choose the one we use or was it just easy, or sentimental, humorous etc. To get the ball rolling my name Tiaga (sometimes spelled Taiga) is the point were the barren Tundra meets the treeline Tiaga.
Symbolic of the barren life of the writer struggling at their craft alone and silent before reaching the exciting life of a published writer being thrown into the mix of other published writers.

Last edited:

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
sulong is a Palau word. It means "Thank you"

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Mine is an (abbreviated) anagram of my full maiden name.

Zonk

Registered
Reaction score
Mine is the nickname of an favorite American Football player I watched in my youth...also descriptive of the sound he made whilst running over opposing players:banana:

:D:D:D

ANNIE

Registered
Reaction score
Mine's not deep. it's a childhood nickname.(most ussually followed by banany):banana:

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
My name and I'm a 911 dispatcher in real-life...No, writing is not my real life, though it interferes with real life quite frequently!

I use this sign on with nearly every forum I join so I can remember it easily!

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I used to use my name for everything, because it was so easy to remember and spell (for me, I mean). But though I try not to indulge in too much internet-paranoia or even justified fear, web-crawlers and spiders and Nigerian bank managers were starting to really get on my nerves. They look for names.

I like the sound of the word "paprika" (the spice is nice too). The first place I tried to use it as an ID, it was taken. I'm not way into pink, but I have nothing against it, and I liked how it went with paprika. And although pink is not the color one normally associates with paprika, pink paprika does exist. And so, in a cyber way, does paprikapink.

I like hearing about the personal significance of our IDs. Something I always wonder about.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Mine is based on the ancient Sumarian word for 'he who shall destroy the planet with a quantum-filament based doomsday weapon as soon as Woolworths have them in stock'. My parents were very forward thinking people.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
My husband calls me The Tiny Terror because I'm around five foot and my day job is teaching self defense including hand to hand combat and weapon take aways.

I was going to use the name my students at the gym call me but I think O'Evil One would have brought me too much attention.

-chris

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
When the movie E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial came out my best friend dubbed me "The I. T." She said it meant "intelligent terrestrial." I said it meant "insane, temporarily." I prefer the latter (though I'm beginning to question the "temporarily" part).

ANNIE

Registered
Reaction score
Richard said:
Mine is based on the ancient Sumarian word for 'he who shall destroy the planet with a quantum-filament based doomsday weapon as soon as Woolworths have them in stock'. My parents were very forward thinking people.

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
Lets see. mine is my email address which came from an old boyfriend who accused me of being like the Pat Benatar song "Fire N Ice" Hence I became South Carolina Fire N Ice ( I have since moved to Maryland.)

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember how I acquired mine. :Shrug:

It is believed to be associated with The Valley of Gehinnom but the actual word more closely associated with that is Gehenna and not Gehanna. ... tho I admit I can be a hellion at times. :Thumbs:

Hellion?? is that even a real word?

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
KTC said:
My initials.

I always thought it was short for Kentucky Tied Chicken (you know where my mind is...) :)

Yeshanu in my made-up elvish language means "living one," and is the name of my main character.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Kentucky Tied Chicken?

That certainly adds a twist to finger lickin' good.

When I was 16 I worked at Long John Silver's restaurant and they were having a promotional for their chicken planks. I had to wear a large pin that stated in large print:

100% White Meat

Needless to say it really sucked having to wear that pin. Talk about sexual harrassment...from the customers...I coulda been a rich woman by now if only I had sued!